Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Sauron The Balrog

Why Sauron wasn't a balrog, like all the other maiar? why was he a servent of morgoth, that looked like a human? why? my sister says he was very strong and no one could imprison him in a balrog shape.

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 09-22-2002 at 03:51 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:17 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Not all the fallen Maiar were Balrogs. In fact, very few were. The Balrogs were the most formidable and feared servants of Melkor, but there were only "(say) three or at most seven" of them altogether, according to J. R. R. Tolkien. It seems like there's more in The Silmarillion because much of the quotes are derived from older texts when there are more, and the nature of the Balrogs was very different. But the fact remains, there were very few Balrogs. Some people just misunderstand what is written in the Silmarillion somehow and think that all of Melkor's fallen Maiar were Balrogs, that seems to be what you have done.

Balrogs do not look like they do because they are trapped inside those forms. On the contrary, they would seem to have some control over what form they take (like all Maiar, except in very special circumstances). Their forms are expressions of their personalities and natures.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:02 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
Balrogs do not look like they do because they are trapped inside those forms. On the contrary, they would seem to have some control over what form they take (like all Maiar, except in very special circumstances). Their forms are expressions of their personalities and natures.
Aha, so some of them may have wings, and some not? ....Ooops
Old 09-23-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Probably. Wasn't it only Maia of Fire that became Balrogs? Sauron was a Maia of a higher Valar than the Maia of fire, wasn't he?

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 02:09 PM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Ñólendil
Not all the fallen Maiar were Balrogs. In fact, very few were. The Balrogs were the most formidable and feared servants of Melkor, but there were only "(say) three or at most seven" of them altogether, according to J. R. R. Tolkien. It seems like there's more in The Silmarillion because much of the quotes are derived from older texts when there are more, and the nature of the Balrogs was very different. But the fact remains, there were very few Balrogs. Some people just misunderstand what is written in the Silmarillion somehow and think that all of Melkor's fallen Maiar were Balrogs, that seems to be what you have done.
So actually there were more fallen maiar that didn't become balrogs then the ones who did become balrogs, right? but why nothing were written about them? were they wick?
Old 10-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #6
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Who's morgoth?
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

The wargs were maia (probably) and they were mentioned here and there in the Sil

Morgoth, Linarryl, is the original dark lord, a "fallen" valar (think angelic power) who conspired to destroy the earth. he was defeated at the end of the first age. Sauron worked for him and continued his evil ways after Morgoth was defeated.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:15 PM   #8
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Oh, OK! THanks for explaining!
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 04:16 PM   #9
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Did you read the Sil Linarryl? Anyway, he known as Melkor. And I like him!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 02:46 AM   #10
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

In my opinion, Balrogs were fire Maiar....but not all fire Maiar became evil...take Arien for example Melkor did draw several Maiar to his side...of these the Balrogs are listed as is Sauron....formerly a Maia of Aule
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:26 AM   #11
Agburanar
Elf Lord

The wargs were maia? I didn't know that. I guess it fits with Sauron's werewolf days.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:39 PM   #12
The Warden of the Keys
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
The wargs were maia (probably) and they were mentioned here and there in the Sil
Um...can you cite where you got the information that Wargs are Maia? Tolkien said they were an "evil breed of demonic wolves" (Letters). Tolkien lumps Wargs together with Orcs, Trolls, Spiders, werewolves and Men as "servants that walk alive under the Sun, and yet are under Sauron's sway" (Many Meetings).

Also, Wargs are never mentioned in the Silmarillion, they first appear in the Hobbit.
The Warden of the Keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:45 PM   #13
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I think, perhaps, she meant werewolves?
Old 01-31-2003, 11:36 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I think, perhaps, she meant werewolves?
Well even so, I don't believe werewolves were Maia either, they were just dread servants of Morgoth and later associated with Sauron...
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:26 PM   #15
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Dúnedain
Well even so, I don't believe werewolves were Maia either, they were just dread servants of Morgoth and later associated with Sauron...
I think that the werewolves were maiar. I heard of it in the moot. it does fit... that Finrod was killed by one werewolf.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:34 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Dragons, Werewolves, and Dread Spiders were certainly NOT maiar, any more than Orcs were.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:34 PM   #17
Falagar

The Werewolf that killed Finrod was Sauron transformed...
Old 02-01-2003, 04:38 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No, It wasn't, because he killed it as well. With his bare hands and his teeth. After breaking his steel chains. After being starved for days or weeks.

And even after all that, he still managed to defeat it and live- it was poison/infection and blood loss that did him in.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #19
Falagar

*needs to read the Silm again*
Old 02-01-2003, 07:10 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
In the pits of Sauron Beren and Felagund lay, and all their companions were now dead; but Sauron purposed to keep Felagund to the last, for he perceived that he was a Noldo of great might and wisdom, and he deemed that in him lay the secret of their errand. But when the wolf came for Beren, Felagund put forth all his power, and burst his bonds; and he wrestled with the werewolf, and slew it with his hands and teeth; yet he himself was wounded to the death. Then he spoke to Beren, saying: 'I go now to my long rest in the timeless halls beyond the seas and the Mountains of Aman. It will be long ere I am seen among the Noldor again; and it may be that we shall not meet a second time in death or life, for the fates of our kindreds are apart. Farewell!' He died then in the dark, in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, whose great tower he himself had built. Thus King Finrod Felagund, fairest and most beloved of the house of Finwe, redeemed his oath; but Beren mourned beside him in despair.