Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2002, 12:55 PM   #21
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I wish. I think that we are going about it this way because we are all big Tolkien fans, so of course we want to see it happen. Whether it actually happens or not remains to be seen.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 07:06 PM   #22
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Theoden

personally, i dont think making the hobbit into a movie is a good idea..id watch it ofcourse..but there are some parts that are just well...goofy?
Old 04-12-2002, 08:48 PM   #23
azalea
Long lost mooter

Re my first post on the last page, I just read in the LotR forum how they did indeed destroy the Shire sets, so if they did The Hobbit they'd have to start that from scratch.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 01:17 AM   #24
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

You'd have to rebuild the sets bigger anyway, since most of the characters are short.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:56 AM   #25
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Originally posted by Bropous:
Quote:
It took what, 280 million to make all three films? It has so far taken in something around 800 million. This proved there IS a market for Tolkien in the films. You can bet someone has at least pitched the idea to Peter Jackson.
You can bet your shiny brass buttons that there will be a Hobbit movie. I read that New Line has the rights to both Tolkien titles.

As for why? It's simply a great story. There is wit and humor, drama and pathos, and Smaug makes for a great villain. The film-makers can go in either of two directions- They can make it a film for a younger audience- a la Harry Potter, or make it a prequel to LoTR, whichever they think will make more money. Either way, I can't wait to see it. I personallly don't give a pocket-handkerchief whether Jackson does the film or not-- as long as Howard Shore does the score.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 04-18-2002 at 10:17 AM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:31 PM   #26
Bilbo Baggins
Sapling

Jackson has already said that there will be a Hobbit movie if LOTR did well.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:42 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

OH, YIPPITY!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:10 PM   #28
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Good Idea but If it had been done before LOTR it would have been a bad idea. Hers Why: The Hobbit is a kids book. The movie would have to be a kids movie. Fans of violence and such woulden't see LOTR becouse they'd think it was more of the same. But now its a good idea. Probably not till the other 2 LOTR movies are out.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:24 PM   #29
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

i thought about this to, and i geuss that it would be a good idea b/c the ppl who were to scird/ not allowed to wach all of the other movies might be able to wach this one, and then they would read the other ones and might wont to/ be allowed to wach LOTR, b/c i have a friend that is scared of LOTR b/c she heard that it was scary, but if the Hobbit came out, it would not be as scary, and then she would wach it!

and anyways, all of the Tolkien fans would like it, and it wouldn't make them stop reading/ going to TLA (Tolkien Lovers Aconymis, just jokeing) but every movie will at least spark 1 new intrest, so BRING IT ON! GO PJ! MAKE THAT MOVIE!!!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:50 PM   #30
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Also I hope they include the Beorn episode (who could play him?). That was the funniest chapter in the book (Gandalf adding dwarves as the story progresses -- I don't know that might not work well as a movie scene).
you know, since the cartoon version didn't include that.
The same guy that played Hagrid in HP

It would be easier to adapt "The Hobbit" to film since it is less detailed and would allows for a more creative interpretation that would be similar to the look and feel of the LotR trilogy. I agree that it would be like "Episode I"; sparking renewed interest in the previous releases.

There was a movie released recently with all the spider CG so that is done already. Same with the dragons. The scenery alone would be would doing in the same manner as LotR.

The success of it as a prequel could lead to adaptations of Silmarillion stories, though they may lend themselves better to full CG in the manner of "Shrek".
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 05:52 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hmm, I can quite decide that IF they did do it, whether they'd try to scarify it a bit, to make it fit better with the LOTR trilogy, or whether they'd dumb it down a bit, and make it a kids movie. Either way, I HOPE THEY LEAVE HOWARD SHORE OUT OF IT!!!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 03:39 AM   #32
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I think making a Hobbit movie would be great, but only if it has a serious tone to it - when they begin on their journey from the inn.

And of course, make Bard sword fight the dragon in the small built-over-the-water-city instead of just shooting him down from the sky that way there is more action and suspense put in the movie.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:52 AM   #33
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I would definately see New Line's The Hobbit if they make it. It will probably be a PG rating if they do it though, unless they decide to make the some of the fights more violent then they were depicted in the book.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:18 PM   #34
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Gollum

okay idea
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 02:18 PM   #35
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I think the Hobbit as a movie is a great idea, and I really hope they do it. So what if it's a childrens book, it's not like it's the life and times of Barney the dinosaur! It's still Tolkien! The book may have been intended for younger audiences, but it is enjoyed by adults as well because it isn't simple clap-trap. Personnally, it's my favorite of Tolkiens stories for the exact reason that it is less serious. It is less serious because that was a happier time in Tolkien's world, before the ring was "found". It would be a movie, filled with humor and pathos. As for the songs, I'd like to see some modern bands do versions of them for the soundtrack! Too funny! If they ever do indeed make this film, I will be first in line! I want to see Smaug!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:21 PM   #36
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

They would have to correct Bilbo's finding of the ring from FotR since Gollum cries out when Bilbo finds it.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 11:32 PM   #37
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

I beleive that if the Hobbit does go live action it will be a good thing for Tolkien because more people will now know about the Hobbit and might actually read it.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:05 AM   #38
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
I agree I think it would be a great movie... but the again it might be so altered and changed because of the way they made LotR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:13 AM   #39
Sween
im quite stupid

ive just read the hobbit movie and allthought is quite a lot of material it would not transfer very well. Its a bit too childish and seems to lack the tension of LOTR and people moving from movie to movie would not be happy be like the phantom menence all over again. The Elves in the the Hobbit are just not elf likeb at all. I mean come on they get drunk and fall asleep. And mock the dwarves they are much more like men.

It just would not work very well.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:28 AM   #40
Nana
Sapling

I agree with you in the sense that The Hobbit is a much less complicated book then the Lord of the Rings series, so if it were to be made into a movie, I think people would think it was aimed too much at children. However, I don't agree with you that the story itself is childish!
There was a cartoon version made many years ago, in the seventies or something, that I use to watch all the time. But an actual movie...I think it would be good yet not phenomenal.
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote