Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2002, 06:11 PM   #1
Gerbil
Elf Lord

The Hobbit movie - good / bad idea?

OK so I know everyone will scream 'GREAT IDEA!' but really rather than just post a 'me too' can people say WHY they think this and justify it rationally?

I'm currently re-reading the Hobbit (yeah like the day it takes to read ) and I'm thinking it's actually not very good material for a movie. Certainly not if it's to join onto the LotR films.

The material is just too different and more childish.
Style aside, it also does not fit very well into the world of LotR (as we all know it was in part retro-fitted into the LotR story and mythology) - it would just need too many changes to become consistant.

And of course - changes are bad, right? We don't want another Liv Tyler putting her ugly mug in shot, do we?

So go for it, explain away, but EXPLAIN please! Don't just say 'cos I want to see it!' (No bonus points for being the first to quote that as the only thing in your message).

I'm looking for serious reasoned opinions. I leave it to you guys to show me whether I've come to the right place or not for that
Old 03-30-2002, 09:31 PM   #2
Nibs
Head Hollara

I'd like to see it done for the same reasons that I wanted LotR. Sure, things would be altered, but you expect that from a book to film transition. And, though the Hobbit is written in a different style than LotR, it would (I'd assume) play about the same as the other films, which I think would suit it. The Hobbit, as a film, would have the same standing as the trilogy: it's someone's portrayal of the literature. It doesn't necessarily need to affect mine. And, truthfully, I think it would make quite an epic adventure. A well-done CG Smaug would be impressive.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 12:57 AM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I think it's a good idea, if it's well done. You got a glimpse of Hobbit in the history part before Fellowship of the Ring movie. You also wouldn't have to wait a year between movies, since it would be just one movie. Some people who haven't read the book might be interested in the story of Frodo's mithril coat, Sting, and Glamdring. The Battle of the Five Armies at the end would be epic. The end would also be emotional and powerful. The book almost got to me and I almost started leaking. Like I said, if it was well done (Peter Jackson are you listening?) I would be all for it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 02:53 AM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I think it would be good. Even if - and this will surprise people - it had to be changed to fit more in with LOTR.

I think the Hobbit can be made less "childish" and be a really cool movie. The hardest thing would be the goblins in the Misty Mountains - they are way nastier in LOTR. Of course I guess it could be made where the Goblins are a different kind of orc. The songs would probably have to be left out too for it to be made less childish.

I was thinking about how I wish The Hobbit would be made into a movie after LOTR is done - or even while we're stiill waiting for RotK to come out.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:08 PM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I think it would be a good idea because I like seeing other people's interpretations of books. Plus I would love to see Mirkwood, Smaug, the riddling game, etc.

On the other hand, it would be extremely difficult to capture the Hobbit's air of serious humor. It can't be too silly or too solemn. It'd be hard to get an audience for a movie of it, too - not quite a kid's movie or an adult movie.

But hey, Time Bandits pulled it off. I'd be overjoyed to see a Hobbit movie.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 01:57 AM   #6
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I would like to see a movie on the Hobbit, but I doubt it will happen. It would take a lot of funding if it is going to be done properly. I don't think it would get as much of an audience as the other movies in the series. Changes from the book would may need to happen, but that wouldn't be too bad. I am hoping that somebody will eventually get around to making one. It would be interesting to see what they do with it.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:12 AM   #7
Lightice
Elven Warrior

I think it would be a great idea to make a Hobbit movie. That is, if it's done well. Goblins/orcs could be same a like as the one in Isengard who asked what are the orders of the Eye (I had imagined orcs just like that ).
I believe, that after RotK the producers will beg PJ to make Hobbit movie...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:04 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

It took what, 280 million to make all three films? It has so far taken in something around 800 million. This proved there IS a market for Tolkien in the films. You can bet someone has at least pitched the idea to Peter Jackson.

As for WHY the film should be made, The Hobbit fills in a few of the blanks in the story, like someone said above: Sting, Orcrist and Glamdring, the Stone trolls, the relation of Gloin to the story, etc. Also, it would be an interesting movie. Hobbit is a book in a childish voic,e but there IS a good story underneath. Again said above, Smaug and the Battle of Five armies are good spectacular sights for the end parts of a film, and the heroism of Bilbo at times is an interesting character study in Hobbits. Might help folks understand hobbits better, who knows.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:10 PM   #9
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Gollum

I think a Hobbit movie would be a good idea because half the people in the theaters probably haven't read The Hobbit, or The Lord of the Rings. They would have to change some things though; like when Gandalf and Co. are arriving at Rivendell, they hear the elves singing at the dwarves, making fun of their beards and such. Can you imagine the elves from the movie acting like that? It has been bugging me for months that they would have such a change of character like that.

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:20 PM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, the Ringbearer! Konichi-wa.

Agreed that they would have to "standardize" the Hobbit Elves to the LotR Elven model to make a Hobbit film to mate up with the three Jackson films. I think it's just a natural progression for Jackson to tackle Hobbit to come out the Christmas after RotK.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:11 AM   #11
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I think that a Hobbit movie would be a good idea but might prove to be unsuccessful... It might be hard for the average person to figure out what exactly is happening and to make it all fit in with the LotR... it could be a little confusing and overwhelming... I myself would love to see a movie of the Hobbit... I've rented the cartoon version from the library countless number of times...
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 12:15 AM   #12
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

bad idea

i think the hobbit would have been a good movie if it had been made and released before lotr just because if it is released after lotr it wont really grab attention and be liked by audiences because it is much more tame of a story, does that make sense?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:16 AM   #13
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"I think that a Hobbit movie would be a good idea but might prove to be unsuccessful... It might be hard for the average person to figure out what exactly is happening and to make it all fit in with the LotR..."

Well, elf princess, I think the way you solve that is at the opening of the film, you have a graphic which states, "This is the story of how Bilbo Baggins found the One Ring and set the events of the Lord of the Rings in motion..."

And The Hobbit may be more "tame" than LotR, but it is still an interesting tale and still has a good amount of action included.

Besides, if they act quick the only person they have to replace is Bilbo *wink*
Old 04-02-2002, 11:30 AM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

For all of the above and more, I recommend seeing the animated move "The Hobbit". It goes very well with being all one could expect.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:28 PM   #15
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Picture this:

Your sitting in the theater, and it's dark. Dark, "dwarvish" music is playing, and than Thorin's voice comes over the speakers. "Far over the Misty Mountains, standing like a fortress, lays the Lonely Mountain. (shot of the lonely Mountain from afar, slowly getting closer) The dwarves mined and tunneled there....(Thorin begins to sing)

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
while hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beheath the fells.

Now a CG Smaug flys over the top of the screen.

The pines were roaring in the height....

And so on. Seriously, can you imagine a better start to a movie? It would be just wonderful.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:07 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

It wouldn't be too bad having The Hobbit come out after LotR. Kinda like Episode I. All I can say is after seeing Hobbiton in The Fellowship, I wanted to see The Hobbit done. But it would be a big pain for PJ, having to redo all of the scenery, hobbit feet and all that. He should have just done it at the same time as the other three.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:30 AM   #17
Lightice
Elven Warrior

It could be great spetacular, indeed.
And for making it longer and more interesting, it might include some cameo about the White Council driving the Necromancer from Dol Guldur, and perhaps even telling the audience, that this dark socerer actually was Sauron himself. That cameo ofcourse would require, that a good bunch of actors from LotR trilogy would get involved.
Well, at least I can hope...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 11:42 AM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

Also I hope they include the Beorn episode (who could play him?). That was the funniest chapter in the book (Gandalf adding dwarves as the story progresses -- I don't know that might not work well as a movie scene).
you know, since the cartoon version didn't include that.

Last edited by azalea : 04-09-2002 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #19
Twilight
Elven Warrior

If the Dol Guldur part is to go it, then it is problably better for the Hobbit to come out after the other movies. Otherwise it would be kind of strange for Gandalf to all of a sudden disapear to go after some mysterious enemy. It would at least help to take care of some of the introduction to it. If they show the white council, then they could maybe show some forshadowing to Sauruman's fall.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 12:51 PM   #20
azalea
Long lost mooter

Funny how everyone's talking as if it's already in the works.