Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Elendil on Amon Sul

In "A Knife in the Dark", as they approach Weathertop, Merry remarks on a path they've found, that it looks 'barrow-wightish' and asks Aragorn if there was a barrow on Weathertop.

Getting old, like me, Aragorn answers the question with a story. It ends like this:

Quote:
"...But long ago, in the first days of the North Kingdom, they built a great watch-tower on Weathertop. Amon Sul they called it. It was burned and broken, and nothing remains of it now but a tumbled ring, like a rough crown on the old hill's head. Yet once it was tall and fair. It is told that Elendil stood there watching for the coming of Gil-galad out of the West, in the days of the Last Alliance."
From Appendix B, in the Second Age:
Quote:
3431 Gil-galad and Elendil march east to Imladris.
Now, when I first read this passage, and even on subsequent re-readings, I always envisioned this guy (whom I learned more about later), as just standing at the parapet of this high tower, looking westward over the ramparts, watching for an army coming down the road.

But it only occurred to me the other day (how embarrassing) - that Elendil probably wasn't doing that.

He had a palantir on Amon Sul!

So - whether he stood, as Aragorn said, or actually sat, I suppose he watched for Gil-galad's army through his special "looking glass" rather than with the bare eye.

If it matters to anyone.

But it does show me how we can get an image in our minds when we read something, and still cling to that initial image even as we gather more information.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

heh, I never made that link either.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Nor me. I think I actually prefer the image of him gazing westward - it's a striking picture.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider Excellent thread as usual

The minuit i read this thread I knew u were right. It also accured to me that both enterpretations would most likely be right as well.

After all, Aragon and Gandalf used the "commanding view" of Amon Sul to get a better view of the land about.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 04-03-2007 at 12:05 PM.
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I imagine he did both. Even though the palantiri were cool, there's nothing like seeing the actual thing with your actual eyes!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I imagine he did both. Even though the palantiri were cool, there's nothing like seeing the actual thing with your actual eyes!
Especially when you have no choice, by Aragon and Gandalf's time the palantir was gone. It was a great location for a tower.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

When he "stood" maybe he was really watching.

He'd probably sit when he used the palantir.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
When he "stood" maybe he was really watching.

He'd probably sit when he used the palantir.
I suspect he watched physically fpr Gil-Galad's army to appear, though I cannot prove it. The Palantir could see better than human sight.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

"...Elendil stood there watching for the coming..." Doesn't this sound like he was waiting for them, before they could be seen from the tower by bare eye? If not for the "for" (XD), I'd say he would have searched the lands to the west with the palantiri until he found the army. Also, it is somehow grander to see it with your own eyes, allies arriving from the West...
Old 06-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Valandil

I think you guys ('Naked Eye' proponents) just can't get your minds unstuck from the prejudicial initial impressions you formed.

Remember, when the reader first comes to this point, he knows NOTHING about a Palantir. And the Palantir was likely the whole reason to put a tower at this location.

Also - note Aragorn's language;

"It is told that Elendil stood there watching..."

Now - it was not Elendil himself who 'told' this to Aragorn. This is anecdotal information from over 3000 years before. Somebody made the assumption that he was standing, watching with the naked eye, and it began to be 'told' in a way that reflected that bias. Remember - the Dunedain were rather discreet in talking about the palantiri. If their existence and usage were not 'Top Secret', at least they were 'Classified'. In other words, if two guys at the bottom are having a discussion, it's not like:

Guy1: "So - what's this about Elendil spending all his time at the top of the tower?"
Guy2: "Why - he's looking in his Palantir, watching for whenever Gilgalad will get off his rear end and start actually bringing his Elvish forces in this general direction."

No - that wouldn't happen at all. These items were not material for general conversation. It would be more like:

Guy1: "So - what's this about Elendil spending all his time at the top of the tower?"
Guy2: "They say he's watching for the coming of Gilgalad from the west."
Guy1: "Oh - I see!" *thinks - 'ah - he must be standing there alone on the parapets, searching with his gaze for any sign of the approaching Elven army. Yes... he is certainly 'far-sighted', that one!'*

And this goes on to become part of the tradition about the time spent at Amon Sul. Elendil is not going to volunteer the information that he has been looking through the palantir, instead of with his bare eyes. Is he?

And I think the rest of you are just buying into this tradition.

But by any logic, Elendil would use the means at hand. He would be watching with the Palantir. Regardless of whatever 'romantic' images we may have formed in our minds from Aragorn's words - spoken over 3000 years later.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
And I think the rest of you are just buying into this tradition.
Perhaps totally by choice...!

But, you're very convincing on the "palantir" side of things. And i think you're probably right. At the very least, this had to be true at least some of the time.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Attalus

I agree with Varnafinde that, sure, he would have kept an eye on the Elven Army as it was mustering and marching, but also agree that it would just be human nature to go to the top of the tower and see "the splendor of their banners" with his naked eye.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Valandil

He shouldn't have to go very far. The Palantir was likely at the top of the tower as well.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 06-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
He shouldn't have to go very far. The Palantir was likely at the top of the tower as well.
But not on the open roof near the paraphet to be seen from below.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
Attalus

Yes, that causes a pleasing mental picture of Elendil saying to himself, "Yes! They are coming over the next rise. I shall climb up the stairs, three at a time, and see the splendor of their banners!"
Old 06-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Yeah, most likely it was embroidering these splendid banners that took the Elves so long.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
Yes, that causes a pleasing mental picture of Elendil saying to himself, "Yes! They are coming over the next rise. I shall climb up the stairs, three at a time, and see the splendor of their banners!"
Awww! That's adorable!

And very... cinematic... Now, why doesn't someone make a film about the Last Alliance?

(Of course, if they did a poor job with it, i'd probably cry for the rest of my life. )
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
In "A Knife in the Dark", as they approach Weathertop, Merry remarks on a path they've found, that it looks 'barrow-wightish' and asks Aragorn if there was a barrow on Weathertop.

Getting old, like me, Aragorn answers the question with a story. It ends like this:

From Appendix B, in the Second Age:

Now, when I first read this passage, and even on subsequent re-readings, I always envisioned this guy (whom I learned more about later), as just standing at the parapet of this high tower, looking westward over the ramparts, watching for an army coming down the road.

But it only occurred to me the other day (how embarrassing) - that Elendil probably wasn't doing that.

He had a palantir on Amon Sul!

So - whether he stood, as Aragorn said, or actually sat, I suppose he watched for Gil-galad's army through his special "looking glass" rather than with the bare eye.

If it matters to anyone.

But it does show me how we can get an image in our minds when we read something, and still cling to that initial image even as we gather more information.
I'm sure he stood until his feet got tired, than sat. As for using the Palantiri, I think it would have given him an idea as to what was happening and a rough guestimate of Gil-galad's arrival, but doubt it was used in every little detail like a video-telephone.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #19
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Gordis scores. :P Totally agree with her interpretation... The palantir probably did not come with a nice digital countdown, so even when he knew they were near, he must have been fretting to get an actual glimpse...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote