Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

bands you want to like but cant

You know what I mean… bands/artists you just could never get into at best or hated the sound of at worst BUT felt like they deserved respect. Maybe because of their impact on music or because of who they are as people or whatever the reason. Heres a few of mine:

The Cure
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Sleater-Kinney
Country music pioneers like Bill Monroe, or The Carter Family. God I want to love them so much but country music just makes me feel *shudder *… I like a lot of blue grass though…
Dave Matthews. Don't dig his stuff in the least bit but I'd gladly sit and throw back a few beers with the guy. He seems like he would be very cool.
Even REM to some extent although there are a few songs of theirs I can get into. But so few. And with all the high minded accolades they get (and what they did for “alternative” music) I feel like Im always missing something with them.

Now remember this is bands/artists you RESPECT but COULD NEVER SEEM TO GET INTO. Not bands you think suck. Theres a huge difference.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

John Mayer
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'll agree on all those except the clash... you really have to listen to a lot of their stuff to give them a fair shake (london calling and sandinista especially)... they had a lot of talent and a lot of variety

the cure and costello, on the other hand, had a lot of talent and very little variety

i'm pretty open to most stuff (my favorites cover just about everything)... though i don't like country all that much, so i'm sure there are plenty of talented southern picker's i should be appreciating

i also liked U2 quite a bit back in the mid-to-late-80s... i can't even listen to them anymore, though they do have some talent and variety... with them it may just be the lack of musicianship and the overplayed popularity
Old 05-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I dont know what it is about the clash. Maybe i havent listened to enough of their stuff. And Im well aware how significant their impact on modern music was. And their political stances were noble as well. But they just sound like pop to me no matter how much I twist and turn. Seems like they should be more "punk" sounding for a punk band. The song Rock the Casbah is still ringing in my ears after more then 20 years...

Old 05-03-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Lots of the Clash was boring political stuff played in the usual (bad) punk amateur style, but their stuff with the killer beat was great! I love dance music...so rock the Casbah...Turn it UP! They were good looking too! Love Costello...old angry Costello, that is. Also good to dance to.

Bands I've tried to like but can't ....

Grateful Dead (boring plinky plunkers)
Stones (well, some of there stuff undeniably good the guys are just ugly old fat heads though )
Zappa (bad rhythym)
Beefheart (even worse! )
Eagles (Boring, whiny)
many female singers (Boring)
Jethro Tull (dorky)
Van Halen (guitar solos sound like hyperactive tangled spaghetti)
Hooty and the Blowfish . bleah!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-03-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Jethro Tull dorky!!

Old 05-03-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yup! I could handle Joe Cocker (for some odd reason ) but Ian Anderson slobbering on his flute, jumping around in his tights. spinal tap....
Old 05-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Stones (well, some of there stuff undeniably good the guys are just ugly old fat heads though )
Zappa (bad rhythym)
Eagles (Boring, whiny)
Yeah, why bother thinking, when you can just quote.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yeah, why bother thinking, when you can just quote.
All Right!!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:03 PM   #10
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Elvis (That guy sucked. But I've gotta be grateful for his invention of Rock.)
Yes (They were a big influence in the hardest rock that I love, and seem at first to be very good, and then the lyrics suck.)
White Stripes (I'm amased they got so far in the music industry. Gah!! But they deserve some credit for doing so.)
Tons more... the never-ending list of bands with real awesome talent and just crappy things to sing about.
Classical (oh, it's impressive, and HB, but there is too much to know, and the majority of it isn't to my taste.)
Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #11
Melfena
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Elvis (That guy sucked. But I've gotta be grateful for his invention of Rock.)
I also do not like Elvis, but i want to clearify something, Elvis DID NOT create rock 'n' roll, Buddy Holly did when a D.J. locked himself in the studio and would play nothing other than Buddy Holly, and he called it Rock 'n' roll, and that is where we get the term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran
Pink Floyd...I really really liked Dark Side of the Moon...but sometimes I can't sit down and actually listen to it...maybe I need to get more of there stuff?
How can you not like Pink Floyd . They are one of my favorite bands, but also i have been listining to them for longer that i can rember, but PLEASE listen to more of their music, and give them a second chance (I recomend wish you were here )

Last edited by Melfena : 12-01-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Melfena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfena
I also do not like Elvis, but i want to clearify something, Elvis DID NOT create rock 'n' roll, Buddy Holly did when a D.J. locked himself in the studio and would play nothing other than Buddy Holly, and he called it Rock 'n' roll, and that is where we get the term
Actually Rock and Roll had been an established artistic phenomenon in the black musical culture for some time. Chuck Berry anyone? From there the white artists adopted it (and a young white audience embraced it) and it went main stream. Buddy Holly came years later.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfena
what you talkin' bout willis? Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Came from the blacks long before Buddy Holly came on the scene.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #14
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Whatever man. Elvis is still the King. and dead and a bad musician.

BTW, Rush is really amazing. I know their lead singer's voice, like the AC/DC singer's voice, irritates some people lot, but it's just different. My main thought on that is it's a shame your ears are so weird.

Rush is composed of THREE people! My boss showed me a video of them in concert and that blew me away. I thought it was more like six guys each doing their unimpressive part, but the vocalist sings, plays bass and plays the keyboard simultaneously, the one guitarist plays like a madman nonstop and the drummer is just the best.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:40 PM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

probably sum 41, dont like the music but they look fun to hang out with
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 PM   #16
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
such a way with words you have...

I always thought Van Halen was a waste of talent for the most part. Such incredible guitarmanship and they waste it on what is basically hard pop rock. *cringe* The only song I ever liked from them a lot was Ice Cream Man. And thats a remake of an old blues song so it makes sense. Eddie why didnt you grow up listenting to Albert King!! Instead they ushered in what eventualy became hair metal and perfume metal the bain of 1980s. Did we really need Poison and Ratt?

Old 05-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #17
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
probably sum 41, dont like the music but they look fun to hang out with
Perhaps, but they do indeed suck, so I don't think they fall into this category

For me:
The Who
Rolling Stones (although 'Paint it Black' is one of the best songs ever)
Led Zepellin
The Pretenders

Quote:
the cure and costello, on the other hand, had a lot of talent and very little variety
I agree about Costello, but my wife is a Cure fanatic from waaaay back in the day, so I've everything they've ever done, and their music is pretty diverse. It's all depressing, but diverse.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:19 PM   #18
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
such a way with words you have...
Is that a compliment?

I agree, the music world did not need Ratt Poison!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:44 PM   #19
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Hooty and the Blowfish . bleah!
But they're so... average. And that's what makes them great. They sound like they could be playing at any local college bar. I love Hootie and the Blowfish.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:53 PM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
But they're so... average. And that's what makes them great. They sound like they could be playing at any local college bar. I love Hootie and the Blowfish.
So you love them cause they're average? Well....I guess that explains why I don't like them!