Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2000, 11:15 AM   #1
Nuraith TarLhailatar

Music of the LOTR Movie

Hi, I am new and I have a few questions about the music of the movie.

- Does anyone now if there will come a soundtrack of the movie?
- And if there is going to be a soundtrack who will be on it?
- Will there be any music used in the movie cause it was an important and returning part in LOTR?
- Also if music will be used what kind of music will it be?

Personally, I think that if they are going to use music they could make it a blend of traditional Irish music, pop music and eastern music. Or use any of these three separately.

Well that's all for now.

Nuraith Tar-Lhailatar
Old 07-02-2000, 11:18 AM   #2
juntel

Re: Music of the LOTR Movie

Welcome to Entmoot!

(first time that i'm the first welcoming a first timer!)
Old 07-02-2000, 02:22 PM   #3
Fat middle

Welcome to Entmoot

I think it´s sure they´ll have a soundtrack, but AFAIK the composer have not been already chosen.

Ian Mckellen has said something about songs in the films. There´ll be songs, but they won´t be as frequent as they are in the books. We all hope they shall pick the very central songs of the books. You can find a thread about songs somewhere in this forum.

My personal view about what sort of music will be the best is that they should choose a symphonic soundtrack though that may not be very "contextual". However, for the songs i will choose medieval music (sorry MM ) or folkloric-tavern music for the hobbits. But that´s only my opinion.

Pop music is a very good option in some films, as Princess Bride, but i´d wish some greater for LOTR.
Old 07-02-2000, 02:50 PM   #4
bmilder

I wouldn't mind a traditional movie score, with a few vocal songs from the books put in.
Old 07-03-2000, 08:06 PM   #5
Darth Tater

I'd like to here a John Williams meets Celtic music meets Medival (sp) flute/recorder music score (recorder music is actually quite beautifull when played by someone who knows how, not a hideous screeching sound like can be heard in classrooms across the country )
Old 07-03-2000, 08:30 PM   #6
noldo

What's Celtic music like?

Polish composer Wojciech Kilar (Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Ninth Gate) and James Horner (Braveheart, Titanic) are the leading candidates for the composer of the OST.
Old 07-03-2000, 11:31 PM   #7
Darth Tater

I'll let someone else try to describe Celtic music. Not being musical myself I really don't know how to.
Old 07-04-2000, 02:46 PM   #8
Nuraith TarLhailatar

I can explain what Celtic music is. Have you ever listened to Clannad or to music groups like The Corrs ect, well that is kind of what Celtic music sounds like and is. Most of the Celtic music originates from Ireland and is also still used and produced there. In Celtic music they use old traditional instruments like flutes, (thin) whistles, violins, a dobro (whatever that is, can't explain what it looks like.), a instrument called BodhrÃ*n which is very difficult to describe sort of like a hand drum or something in that way. They sometimes use guitars (acoustic) and piano's.

Earlier I mentioned the Irish group, The Corrs, well they would be perfect to appear on a soundtrack of LOTR. They have successfully blended Celtic music with modern pop music. You should really check out there music. Well I hope that this is enough information for people who don't know what Celtic music is.

Nuraith Tar-Lhailatar
The Dreamwalker
Old 07-04-2000, 04:04 PM   #9
IronParrot

When referring to Celtic music (not related to LOTR though)... I need but three words.

Great Big Sea.
Old 07-05-2000, 07:10 PM   #10
Darth Tater

The Corrs are great, I also love the Chieftains.
Old 07-05-2000, 07:29 PM   #11
trevkw

Orchestral is the way to go for epic fantasy. I'd like to hear something halfway between the Braveheart soundtrack and something spacier, like Vangelis a la Blade Runner, or even Enya (but darker and creepier).
Old 07-05-2000, 08:46 PM   #12
noldo

The Corrs rules! I don't care so much about the singing but otherwise it's great.
Old 07-06-2000, 04:29 AM   #13
arynetrek

i say go with symphonic for the really big epic stuff & Enya or instrumental celtic for the lesser stuff. but the hobbits get their own kind of music, but i cannot describe theirs in words. BTW, has anyone heard the enya song "shepherd moons?" in my mind, that IS lorien.

if they did it right, pop music could be OK, but we have to keep Celine & Britney & their clones off the soundtrack!

<hiss>

aryne *
Old 07-06-2000, 11:35 AM   #14
anduin

I love Enya, in fact, I "walked down the aisle" to Hope Has a Place at my wedding. Enya would be great for the soundtrack, and it wouldn't be the first time that she did a movie track.
Old 07-17-2000, 08:55 AM   #15
Griff Nizz

I've heard that two reasonably popular Heavy Metal bands offered to compose music but were turned down. One is a band called Iced Earth, I believe they really did offer. The second is Megadeth but I'm not so sure about the truth of them offering to compose a song, either way they were turned down. Peter Jackons preferred the more dramatic orchestral sounds. Living in New Zealand helps me in hearing rumours, one of my friends spent two to three weeks working as an extra in the movie.
Old 07-17-2000, 09:22 AM   #16
Fat middle

welcome to Entmoot Griff!

what role had your friend? elf, orc, man...?
Old 07-18-2000, 03:05 AM   #17
Griff Nizz

He played many bit parts, he play one of Saruman's Orcs, can't think of their name at the moment, he played an elf and a Rohan Warrior. All really tiny parts, but he doesn't mind, neither would I. He got paid something like $250 US ($500 NZ) for a weeks' shooting, that's as well as $100 US spending money and all the alcohol he could drink pretty much. Plus he got to talk to Liv Tyler and Elijah Wood and all them. Not an opportunity I'd turn down.
Old 07-18-2000, 03:27 AM   #18
anduin

DROOL!
Old 07-18-2000, 06:27 AM   #19
Griff Nizz

I see that this really isn't about music anymore, heh heh, oh well.
Old 07-18-2000, 11:11 AM   #20
Fat middle

nonono! i come to save the thread

a few days ago i read in a Spanish forum a very good idea for this topic: the music should use some leit motivs for the main themes/characters: hobbits theme, elves theme, Aragorn-Arwen love theme, Lidless Eye theme, etc. Okey?

what´s the original point in that theory?: those leit motivs should "be born" from the songs. Thus, the hobbits theme should be derived from The Road Goes Ever On; the elves theme from Elbereth, Gilthoniel; the love theme from the Lay of Luthien.

If they take that way, that i deem very probable, we can count with some of the main songs in the movies.

What other main themes do you all think should be included in the partiture?