Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Tragedy in Spain

Today a tragedy happened in Madrid; as you can see here, a terrorist attack killed at least 173 people, and several hundreds more were wounded. The perpetrators of this vile act are still unknown. I would like to express my condolences to the Spanish people, and especially to Fatmiddle and any other Mooters from Spain, I hope you and your family are well.

Elvellon

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Re: Tragedy in Spain

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Today a tragedy happened in Madrid; as you can see here, a terrorist attack killed at least 173 people, and several hundreds more were wounded. The perpetrators of this vile act are still unknown. I would like to express my condolences to the Spanish people, and especially to Fatmiddle and any other Mooters from Spain, I hope you and your family are well.

Elvellon
Thank you Elvellon. I'm well and also all my relatives in Madrid, but everybody here is very shocked for what have happened.

I still do not know how to express my indignation. We have always dealt with terrorism through the legal basis of a democratic system (since 1975) and now we have this. People is debating wheter this politic have been the best or not...

BTW, I do not think there never had been another mooter from Spain.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Re: Tragedy in Spain

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
I'm well and also all my relatives in Madrid
Ooops, didn't know you have relatives there. I'm glad they're ok, at least.
Quote:
We have always dealt with terrorism through the legal basis of a democratic system (since 1975) and now we have this. People is debating wheter this politic have been the best or not...
How would they like it to be then?
Quote:
BTW, I do not think there never had been another mooter from Spain.
Christiana was from Spain, wasn't she? Haven't seen her around for months though.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I don't know what to say. This is such a terrible thing to happen
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Not sure what to say either...really tragic
Quote:
I still do not know how to express my indignation. We have always dealt with terrorism through the legal basis of a democratic system (since 1975) and now we have this. People is debating wheter this politic have been the best or not...
I'm interested, do the people in Basque (name?) want to be separated or is it just these small groups?

Old 03-11-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I heard about this tragedy earlier, when new reports about the number of people lilled kept coming in
If the Eta separatists are behind this terrorist act (does anyone doubt that?), it will be the bloodiest attack in their history.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Tragedy in Spain

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
How would they like it to be then?
Well, many people use to remember one thing that happened some years ago (about 15 or so) in Gibraltar. I don't know what rest of truth there lies in this story, mind you. I'm just going to tell the popular belief about it: the fact is that some terrorists of IRA were shot by the Brits police in Gibraltar. What the people say is that the police shot first and then ask if they were terrorists...

They use this story and some similar ones to say that we should be less "democratic" and use more often the force against terrorism.

Quote:
Christiana was from Spain, wasn't she? Haven't seen her around for months though.
ooops, I didn't know.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh no . That's terrible.

Why the hell do people DO things like that?
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Not sure what to say either...really tragic

I'm interested, do the people in Basque (name?) want to be separated or is it just these small groups?

I cannot say for certain what's the percentage of independants, but Batasuna (the party that supports ETA) has 7 out of 75 members in the Basque Parlliament.

There are 2 other parties that want more auto-government, and although they don't want to break from Spain right now, they would probably like to get independant in the future, although they do not support the violence. They have 33 members in the parlament.

So, right now we can say that there is a majority of nationalists in their parlament (although not all them are properly independentists). However this is the first time they get a majority.

Since they control the educational system in their region, I think that in the future they will have a greater majority.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

ok Im moving this over here since theres now a thread for it:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yuo're right. Although the Basque Country is formed by a little region in the North of Spain and in the South of France they only attack us. Don't know why.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I think that stems to the treatment they got by Franco. And has lingered ever since. But from what I understand they were just about marginalized. It seems amazing to me that they could have organized and succeeded in such a colossaly horrific attack. i mean this was just horrible. and they certainly would know it would undermine them even further in the eyes of all spaniards. so im really curious as to if it was really them. is there a possibility they may have colluded with outside terrorists? perhaps they figured they shared a common goal with a group like al-quaeda of undermining the current ruling body in spain who very much supported the iraq invasion.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:36 PM   #11
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar

Why the hell do people DO things like that?
Usually just to prove that they can. Pathetic...

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:29 PM   #12
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

On CNN Headline News they are reporting that ETA is behind it and a car was discovered that they believe was behind it. There were tapes of the Qu'ran inside as well as explosives.

I'm really sorry everyone, especially Fat Middle. I don't really know what to say.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:34 PM   #13
Artanis

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tragedy in Spain

Quote:
They use this story and some similar ones to say that we should be less "democratic" and use more often the force against terrorism.
So, they want to skip court and trial, is that it? Though it is understandable in the heat of the moment right now, I sincerely hope that isn't a common opinion when things have calmed down a bit ... because then the terrorists would have succeded to make a blow against democracy and justice.

Just groping into memory, but didn't the Spanish police/intelligence reveal a planned massive terrorist attack right before Christmas? Did they find out who planned that one?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:00 PM   #14
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie of the Golden Wood
On CNN Headline News they are reporting that ETA is behind it and a car was discovered that they believe was behind it. There were tapes of the Qu'ran inside as well as explosives.
so they planted all that there to make it look like a foriegn group? im a little confused here. last time i checked the basque arent muslims are they?

EDIT: Just looked at a report on it and it said that the Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades have taken responsibility. This is the same group that bombed the two synagogues in Turkey and bombed the U.N. headquarters in Baghdad last August. So I dont think the ETA was involved at all. Unless they helped somehow.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 03-11-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #15
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

No, they aren't. They're catholics as the rest of Spain.

It seems that Al-Qaeda has claimed authorship of the attack. Thy've sent a message to a London newspaper saying "Aznar: where is America, who will protect you from us? Great Britain, Italy, Japan?" Aznar is our President.

Anyway, everybody thinks that ETA is also behind it. They have shared terrorist training camps and may be collaborating in this.

Arty, you're right, last Christmas our police aborted a terrorist attack planned by ETA that seemed very similar to this. Also last week the police intercepted 500 kg. of explosives that were being issued to Madrid. In both cases ETA terrorists were caught. That's why everybody thinks they're in it. But as IR has said it'd be very foolish of them to say it openly, because nobody would understand.

As for the potential of ETA to organize an attack like this, I'm sur they can even without the help of Al-Qaeda.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:57 PM   #16
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I'm really sorry for all people in Spain; my thoughts are with you.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:05 AM   #17
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Today they seem to be saying it's most likely to be ETA.

Over a thousand people injured. Today they will start to release the names of the dead.

What a hellish experience for those people and for everyone in Spain.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:07 AM   #18
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
That's why everybody thinks they're in it. But as IR has said it'd be very foolish of them to say it openly, because nobody would understand.
I see, is that why they're not claiming responsibilty for it like they always did?

I saw footage of lines of black bags containing the bodies of the killed, and of wounded people. It was saddening. Deepest condolences for those affected.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:14 AM   #19
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I see, is that why they're not claiming responsibilty for it like they always did?
Whoever is responsible, I think the silence is part of the strategy. The uncertainty as to who did it is effectively increasing people's fear and feeling of impotency.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:18 PM   #20
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I've been out of town, but I've been thinking of you, FM, since I heard the tragic news. I'm glad to hear you and your family are fine, and I add my sincere condolences to all the ones already given.

Cowards, cowards, cowards - to kill like that

I'm so sorry

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote