Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
Kennashi
Enting

Warcraft Movie

Nobody on the forum has talked about this? Are you cereal??

Anyway, most of you probably know about this already, and I just wanted to hear about you guys' thoughts on the whole thing.

Is it going to be a cheesy LOTR ripoff?
Is it going to be as bad as Eragon, if not worse?
Or, will it defy all logic and be the best fantasy movie ever?

Discuss.
Kennashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Oh...my. This doesn't look like it can be anything other than a spinoff B-movie. I could be wrong, but I'm not expecting much.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Kennashi
Enting

Well, why not? And don't give me the cliche, "because game-movies always suck". The lore in the warcraft universe is massive...for example, they could tell about the story of how Medivh became insane and unleashed the orcs upon the world...or they could tell about the long and tragic history of the Lich King...OR they could tell of the entire struggle between the night elves and Sargeras. My point is that there's a lot of backstory to draw upon, so they couldn't possibly fail this that easily.
But THE WORSE thing that can happen is if they make a movie based on the MMO itself.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
orithil
Captain Jack

I suppose it might work, they would have a fan base.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennashi View Post
Well, why not? And don't give me the cliche, "because game-movies always suck". The lore in the warcraft universe is massive...for example, they could tell about the story of how Medivh became insane and unleashed the orcs upon the world...or they could tell about the long and tragic history of the Lich King...OR they could tell of the entire struggle between the night elves and Sargeras. My point is that there's a lot of backstory to draw upon, so they couldn't possibly fail this that easily.
But THE WORSE thing that can happen is if they make a movie based on the MMO itself.
D&D also has a massive store of lore. Didn't they make a movie out of that?

It takes more than lore and epic-ness to make a movie. In fact, epic-ness and lore often make things into worse movies. It turns then into geek-fests, more or less. And not in the good way. LOTR was different, because it told a story about people. The heroes weren't anything special. No Devout Shoulders or Axes of Divine Retribution.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Kennashi
Enting

The reason D&D sucked was because it had nothing to do with any *familiar* setting. There was no drama or anything, how COULD anyone like it? There was no audience for it.
Warcraft, however, definitely has a straightforward and solid story that had a lot of tragic histories that, dare I say, rival LOTR.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
orithil
Captain Jack

Check out 'Tales of the past 1 2 3 and three', (remember to type in 'world of warcraft' first or you'll get a book) It was a movie made by martain Falch, all the movies are about an hour or more long and definately worth the watch, they explain the lore of Wow and use live servers for the huge battles that take place in the movie. I'm not to much of a fan of world of warcraft myself(being the only game in the warcraft series I have played) but through watching tales of the past I was able to Imagin what an actual film would be like.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
Kennashi
Enting

Thanks for sharing that, orithil! Amazing, if people can do that with a non-existent budget (except for the monthly fee), I shiver to think what they could do with $100+ million.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
orithil
Captain Jack

Yeah, I know pretty awesome