Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Spinal Tap, continued

Michael McKean ("David St Hubbins") was talking about his musical roots, and said he'd been briefly sat in as a session musician with a band that had a hit single in the 60s, and that they had asked him to go on tour. The band broke up before he got his chance, and he mentioned one reason was that the organ player was madly in love with the bass-player's girlfriend and kept writing love songs to her, including their top-ten single which actually used her real name in the title.

Intrigued, I looked into it- after all, how many sixties singles with girl's names in the title could there possibly be, right ?- and discovered it was by a band called The Left Banke (yes, with an "e"- this was the '60s) and the song was one of the all-time great laments to lost love, "Walk Away, Renee".

The organist was sixteen-year-old Michal Brown (real name Michael Lookfsky) whose father was a classical musician who had his own small studio, and who became interested in the band his son and his son's friends had founded. One day bassist Tim Finn brought his girlfriend, Renee Fadden, also sixteen, into a session and poor Mike was smitten. The song was more of a fantasy, since he never actually went out with her, and in fact her parents moved shortly thereafter and nobody in the band had contact with her afterward.

Quote:
Brown says of his unrequited love for Renée:

"I was just sort of mythologically in love, if you know what I mean, without having evidence in fact or in deed...But I was as close as anybody could be to the real thing"[7]

Fladen-Kamm was looking on during the recording of the song, and her presence nearly prevented its completion. In an interview, Brown stated:

"My hands were shaking when I tried to play, because she was right there in the control room," he says. "There was no way I could do it with her around, so I came back and did it later.[10]"
(He played the harpsichord on the track).

In 2003, a music blogger tracked Renee down, and discovered she was a well-respected vocal teacher and singer in a Medieval English ensemble, and apparently not too keen on being known as "that Renee".

After my girlfriend devastatingly dumped me when I was seventeen, this was the song that I played over and over, alternating with "Brown-Eyed Girl"-( she was a brunette). Still chokes me up

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjt...ay-renee_music

Last edited by GreyMouser : 06-07-2009 at 03:36 AM.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

GreyMouser, it is amazing how much music can speak to and for our hearts, isn't it?

Back to Loreena McKennitt for a moment - here's one of her most beautiful songs that's been doing the same for me lately...

The Old Ways (live)

Enjoy
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

My favorite kinds of music? Classic Rock, Rock, and Pop...(and a little Jazz here and there...Corrine Bailey Rae is amazing!)

Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody
The Beatles-Let it be, Fixing a Hole, Hello Goodbye
Billy Joel-My Life, Piano Man
U2-Beautiful Day, Vertigo
Lily Allen-Smile, Littlest Things

And of course I always like a little Dashboard Confessional, Avril Lavigne, and Black Eyed Peas...
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote