Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #21
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

OK,I can't figure out the multi quote thingy so here goes.

SisCuz.............. The Ted Kacinzsky reply had me on the floor laughing..... Great one

Curufin.............. Hayden did more drugs than Timothy Leary

Shesabrandybuck................
Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Okay! I was wrong! I admit it! I picked a bad example! My high school research wasn't perfect!

Can we move on to the point now???

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #23
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie View Post
OK,I can't figure out the multi quote thingy so here goes.

SisCuz.............. The Ted Kacinzsky reply had me on the floor laughing..... Great one

Curufin.............. Hayden did more drugs than Timothy Leary

Shesabrandybuck................
to multi quote, just simply press the multi quote button next to the quote button. If you want to quote three people, first you would click multi quote on Sis's post, multi quote on Curu's, and then quote on mine
that help?
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

Thanks shesabrandybuck. I've done it before but I forgot. Plus the fact that I'm an old fart and I'm computer challenged. I guess instead of the tongue smiley I should have said, "Your mother was a hamster and you father smelt of elderberries."

Curefin, I didn't mean for that to sound like a slam. It was a purely innocent post. Sorry bout that.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #25
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

This is entirely wayyyy to early to say anything. My advice: Resurrect this in 2ish years.

Unless Obama for whatever reason decides to not run again or/and he is an absolute disaster and is worse than Bush (which seems very unlikely....and look the republicans let Bush run for reelection), he WILL be the democratic nominee in 2012. Clinton's next real chance for the Presidency, if she even still wants it by then, would then be 2016.

Hillary seems to quite possibly genuinely want the Secretary of State position. She could easily use that as a stepping stone to the presidency in 2016.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #26
inked
Elf Lord

But everyone's having so much fun.......

Why wait for 2ish years?

What are the VP-elects' chances, ya think
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #27
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post

Okay! I was wrong! I admit it! I picked a bad example! My high school research wasn't perfect!

Can we move on to the point now???
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie View Post
Thanks shesabrandybuck. I've done it before but I forgot. Plus the fact that I'm an old fart and I'm computer challenged. I guess instead of the tongue smiley I should have said, "Your mother was a hamster and you father smelt of elderberries."

Curefin, I didn't mean for that to sound like a slam. It was a purely innocent post. Sorry bout that.
I'm sorry, Rinke. It just happened to be an OUTRAGEOUSLY poor choice for your point, and I'm kinda sensitive about how poorly some parts of our radical history (some of which I was involved in) has been transmitted.

I wish I could tell this group some stories... :/ That's one of the problems with the internet. It gives me a false sense of being in a room with friends, when I'm really causing offense to people who have no reason to trust me.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #28
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Ok, sorry, but this is just silly. The democratic party is going to run the incumbent in 2012. Why? Because it is the incumbent who wins a huge majority of the time. In congress, I know, the statistic is 95%+. The democratic party is not going to run Hillary Clinton, no matter what. Look at American history. In all of history, here is the list of times the incumbent has not won:

That's it. That means, historically, the presidential incumbent has a 77.2% chance of winning. Hillary will not run in Obama's place, with all the baggage she carries and a 22.8% historical chance of winning.

One thing I wonder about - has an incumbent President ever not received their own party's nomination, when they tried to get it?

I know Reagan almost beat out Ford in 1976 - but those were rather exceptional circumstances (Ford only being there because first the VP resigned, then the Prez resigned). And... I know Johnson just didn't bother in 1968, because the Vietnam war was becoming so unpopular. But... did any sitting President, who tried to run again, actually not get their own party's nomination?

They most often seem to run unchallenged - or with no serious challenger.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #29
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Well, on any level, Val, it's a poor idea. Causes a primary fight, which is expensive, and since incumbency comes with a lot of goodies (you've already hired people for jobs who will lose them under a new administration, for example) it's a dumb idea.

Lieberman, for example, is someone who, although incumbent, lost his party's nomination. He actually sits in the Senate as an Independent, having defeated the choice of his own party.

And you see how well he's behaving (from a party POV) .

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #30
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) - A Democratic Congress, unwilling or unable to approve a $25 billion bailout for Detroit's Big Three, appears ready to punt the automakers' fate to a lame-duck Republican president. Caught in the middle of a who-blinks-first standoff are legions of manufacturing firms and auto dealers—and millions of Americans' jobs—after Senate Democrats canceled a showdown vote that had been expected Thursday. ...

Ummm, IR, some facts rather than speculation from YOUR independent perspective, please!
Ok here are your facts apart from your spin up there…

Quote:
Washington Post Finance Section: Earlier today, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said that she and Senate Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will send a letter to the heads of GM, Ford and Chrysler, telling them what they need to show Congress in order to get federal bailout money.

Earlier this week, GM's Rick Wagoner, Ford's Alan Mulally and Chrysler's Bob Nardelli (along with UAW head Ron Gettelfinger) were in Washington asking lawmakers for $25 billion in emergency cash so they can, essentially, stay in business.

But Pelosi, Reid and other lawmakers were unmoved by the plea, saying to automakers: We know you need help, but you haven't adequately told us what you will do with the money which, by the way, comes from taxpayers.

Pelosi said that she wants lawmakers to tell Congress that, if it approves the bailout, Detroit will:
-- pay no shareholder dividends,
-- give no bonuses to employees making more than $200,000,
-- explain how they will invest in advanced technology to make more fuel-efficient vehicles.
Sounds like a good start to me… Sure beats the heck out of Bush and Paulson and Co. dropping $250 billion into the arms of the banks with NO restrictions or transparency whatsoever and what can you imagine happens? Why they still wont lend any money to the taxpayers they just took it from… Imagine that! But it seems they are still spending money on high end bonuses and AIG style executive retreats… What a great investment that was!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #31
inked
Elf Lord

IR, see here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081121/...NkDMOWPSBI2ocA

I really don't have to spin this, now do I?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #32
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
One thing I wonder about - has an incumbent President ever not received their own party's nomination, when they tried to get it?

I know Reagan almost beat out Ford in 1976 - but those were rather exceptional circumstances (Ford only being there because first the VP resigned, then the Prez resigned). And... I know Johnson just didn't bother in 1968, because the Vietnam war was becoming so unpopular. But... did any sitting President, who tried to run again, actually not get their own party's nomination?

They most often seem to run unchallenged - or with no serious challenger.
Not in the modern era...Truman was very unpopular in 1948- a guaranteed loser - and many Democrats were desperately looking for someone else, but he kept it.

You mentioned Ford, and there was Carter in '80, challenged by a Kennedy, no less- but no, a sitting president has enormous power over the party.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #33
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

As for Obama trying to get Hillary out of the limelight, SoS is hardly a low-profile position, especially with somebody like Hillary in charge.

It might be a case of better having her (and Bill ) "inside the tent p***ing out, instead of outside the tent p***ing in", as LBJ said about J. Edgar Hoover.

As far as 2012 is concerned, the more likely scenario is Biden eased out, and Hillary put in as Veep- that gives her a lock on 2016. Problem with that is she'll be 69- should be less of a concern than for a man, but alas, sexism doesn't work that way.

I was surprised when I first heard this- who gives up a safe Senate seat for a job that typically lasts only a few years?- but that would make sense.

As well, she's a pretty junior senator- no committee chairs, though Harry Reed said he'd like to give her a bigger role- so slowly working up the ladder might not appeal to a superstar; not when you could be jetting around the world and hobnobbing with the top set.

Personally, she's a bit too hawkish for my taste- I'd rather see her in the Senate shepherding healthcare through.

For the GOP? Who knows- I figure it'll take at least one more shellacking to break the grip of the right wing- but will it be in 2010 or 2012?

Jindal 2016?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 11-22-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #34
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, who's the current Secretary of State? No looking! No googling!

http://www.state.gov/

Last edited by inked : 11-22-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 11-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #35
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Hey, who's the current Secretary of State? No looking! No googling!

http://www.state.gov/
The Invisible Woman....she works for the Invisible Man

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #36
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Though in all fairness, Condi's been a much better SoS than she was a National Security Adviser. Between her, Hadley and Gates, they managed to get some semblance of a sane foreign policy in place for the second Bush term.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #37
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I'm thinking Huckabee may be the republican nominee in '12, though Palin or another is a possibility. Either way, I don't want the morality police and will be voting Obama, as will the majority of the US.

You can quote me on that!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #38
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Does Huckabee appease the religious base? Why didn't he win the nomination this time around?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #39
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Does Huckabee appease the religious base? Why didn't he win the nomination this time around?
Because the much-touted "religous base" is a much less than half the republican party and about 15% of the American electorate as a whole.

Huckabee was very strong on the moral right side of things, but he was practically democratic when it came to economic policy. Very much for using government to help out those in need.

Most republicans lean towards social conservatism but, when push comes to shove, the "holding onto their money" factor is a lot more important. Give them the choice between lower taxes or family values and they will choose lower taxes every time.

The religious block of the republican party is large, but it is not a majority any more than the radical left is a majority in the democratic party.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #40
inked
Elf Lord

An analysis in the Wall Street Journal of the last election - with numbers!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122653996148523063.html

The mainstream crescendo of the obamessiah seems to have a few dents, here and there.