Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #21
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Ok here is what it looked like:
http://tmilder.homestead.com/files/W...gonebefore.htm

(i edited out the topic in the mod forum )

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #22
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

anyone read the book

To kill a Mockingbird?
?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
Ok here is what it looked like:
http://tmilder.homestead.com/files/W...gonebefore.htm

(i edited out the topic in the mod forum )
thanks, hobbit - that's cool!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #24
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
Eärniel made the Star Trek banner.
Yeah, sadly that was all I had time for. Too bad I got on line so few times to see the changed Entmoot. It looked rather nifty, if not too darn dark on my wayward monitor. *stares accusingly at monitor*

But if I hadn't been involved in this prank, I know I would have fallen for it. I may have guessed it as a hoax on April Fools, but the moment it went on the next day without anyone coming forward, I so would have bought it.

Let's say 'Gullible' was and is my middle name.

But if the board ever ends up being sold, no one will ever believe us again: "Yeah, yeah, that's what you said on April Fools 2006 too! We won't buy it this time."
Old 04-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #25
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I liked it. Awesome, guys.

For the first part of the trick, Ben's announcement that he was selling the board, I totally bought it too. It made sense to me that he'd want to, and when people pointed out that he made the announcement on April Fool's Day, he explained it away well enough for me.

Then I logged on yesterday afternoon and my immediate reaction was "oh hell no." I knew it was a joke then, and didn't want to post because I wouldn't know what to say.

I esspecially liked how Spock's username blinked like he was the "winner" or something, and how a bunch of GM threads had their names changed. That was ridiculous.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #26
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

It was a convincing prank. At first, I seriously thought that it was a prank, mainly because it was April Fools Day. But when the backround and everything was changed, I began to think that Spock had really bought Entmoot.
Quote:
Let's say 'Gullible' was and is my middle name.
Hey, we have the same middle names!

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Old 04-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #27
katya
Elven Maiden

Ah, that was a funny board. I wasn`t on long enough to hear of any of this other trouble but I laughed at the layout. My first thought was "I know the time zone is way ahead here, but I`m quite sure April Fool`s Day has already passed..." (in a British accent). You know I guess I did read that whole sell Entmoot thing. I read like half of the first post. I half believed it but I thought it was kinda fishy so I might as well just wait and see what happened. Anyway though, thank you all involved for making me laugh. Out loud, too.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:39 AM   #28
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I fell for it hook, line, and absolute sinker, almost to my permanent detriment, and at the time to my temporary detriment. I have a trusting nature, and tend to believe those whom I respect & naturally like, i.e. Entmoot's guys, but after this - well, once bitten twice shy. More than that, way more than that, but - can't say. Can't express it, can't say.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 AM   #29
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It wouldn't be April Fools without a fool, huh?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #30
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Guess not.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #31
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Sure fooled me too! Great hoax. And I felt it was also a really good joke on me .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 04-04-2006, 01:09 AM   #32
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I hated that miserable, nasty hoax. It had me physically nauseus and depressed and angry, for two full days. Not only that, but it triggered yet another confrontation betwixt myself & you-know-who. Ugly hoax. Not funny at all. I believed it. Now I'm never going to believe a single word that ever comes out of the Entmoot's mouth, ever again. Once bitten, twice shy. From now on, I am totally, completely untrusting of Entmoot's PTB. Especially with the extenuating circumstances I personally had to endure. To hell with nasty hoaxessss, we hates them, preciousss, yes we hates those nasty hoaxess and pranksesss. Very much.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #33
BeardofPants
the Shrike

boy, you must really have fun every april fools then.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #34
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Yeah, whatever.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:43 AM   #35
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I fell for it hook, line, and absolute sinker, almost to my permanent detriment, and at the time to my temporary detriment. I have a trusting nature, and tend to believe those whom I respect & naturally like, i.e. Entmoot's guys, but after this - well, once bitten twice shy. More than that, way more than that, but - can't say. Can't express it, can't say.
Yeah, I totally fell for it too.

BoP tipped me off, but then I fell for it again when the whole thing went past 12 noon.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 AM   #36
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I've got that middle name, too ...

I wish I could have logged on and seen that Star Trek pic come up - that was a great idea!! But I was sick :green, nauseated face: - I think I had some bad carnitas.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 04-04-2006, 02:04 AM   #37
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

I am still surprised people fell for it.

Last edited by Rev. Justin Timberlake : 04-04-2006 at 02:07 AM. Reason: [i]am[/i] surprised. AM!
Old 04-04-2006, 03:51 AM   #38
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I thought it was totally class. Earniel, your banner was genius. It had a genuine sense of being mocked up by some aesthetically-challenged trekkie. And the brown text on black background was also hilarious.

I was online when the switch happened: one minute I was looking at Treebeard, the next I thought someone had slipped some acid in me taters.

It's a shame how it transpired with Lotesse. I can understand why she felt the way she did. I don't see how her original post deserved editing, particularly given that it must have been difficult to write.

However, I think on boards like these:
1) it's hard to manage stuff like flaming and that, because you read stuff and you have to guess the context in which it's meant
2) flame wars can break out easily, which puts everyone else off and can ruin an online community
3) therefore, managing boards is difficult, and we need to cut mods and admins plenty of slack, realising that we won't agree with what they do all of the time
4) the best way to deal with disagreements is in some sort of private forum first.

It goes the other way too of course, and it would be nice to see some sort of acknowledgement that it's understandable for Lotesse to feel the way she does in such circumstances.

* offers Lotty a swig of tater wine *