Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-10-2000, 07:46 PM   #21
adidas96

Re: matrix

That's a really tough choice. In the case of the Matrix, I'd rather have welfare. But in other circumstances, I might think otherwise.
Old 04-10-2000, 10:18 PM   #22
juntel

"...you must realize there is no gap between the two towers..."

There are no towers.
Old 04-11-2000, 01:40 AM   #23
IronParrot

While on this subject of reproduction... earlier in the week we discussed this very thing on FilmForce. I'll link to it or quote it as soon as I can, but it's there under the forum for The Matrix, under the thread "Makin' Babies".
Old 06-30-2000, 05:11 PM   #24
bmilder

Re: Favorite Movies of 1999

Btw I finally saw The Sixth Sense last night when we rented it. It was a good movie. I'm glad that the ending wasn't spoiled for me beforehand since it was so surprising.
Old 06-30-2000, 09:16 PM   #25
thrawn96

Another cool thing is that if you watch the movie over again, you'll notice that the ending fits in perfectly.
Old 07-07-2000, 03:04 AM   #26
etherealunicorn

very true, thrawn96. It was neat how all those odd little details suddenly made sense. Like why Willis had on the same clothes throughout
Of the 1999 movies, I liked, in no particular order:
The Sixth Sense
TPM (of course )
The 13th Warrior
October Sky
The Matrix
As far as the Matrix discussion goes; I would like to be outside the Matrix, so I could learn to grab hold of reality and twist it, so to speak. One thing bothered me about it though. If everything in the Matrix was based on one's perception of things, especially one's self-image, then why are they all confined to a human form when others would serve much better in certain situations? And why does death of the body in the Matrix cause actual death? Couldn't your self-perception be made to shrug off a virtual death?
Personally, if I were outside the Matrix and free to enter it as I chose, I think that the etherealunicorn would become real
Old 07-10-2000, 12:58 AM   #27
Film Hobbit

Last year... good year for movies.... much better than this one.

1. Matrix
2. Austin Powers 2
3. Star Wars

Star Wars was not what it could have been. Austin Powers was the funniest movie I have seen in many years... and the Matrix... well it was just COOL. There is no better way to say it.
Old 07-13-2000, 12:51 AM   #28
Jonce

The Matrix !!

Can't wait for the sequels.

Theres also been talk of a manga type prequal covering the war with the robots.Whether theres any truth in this only time will tell

Joncehttp://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/icons/icon30.gif
Old 07-14-2000, 12:55 AM   #29
thrawn96

My friend told me that they're filming both movies right now at the same time, and very few people know about the plot. I think more people know about the episode ii plot than the plots of the two matrix movies.
Old 07-14-2000, 08:29 PM   #30
jedi master princess

the phantom menace.
sleepy hollow.
ten things i hate about you.
three kings.
matrix.
the mummy.
election.
american beauty.
american pie.
being john malkovich

SPOILER ALERT: i think the film makers made a boo boo at the end of the sixth sense. earlier they stated that the temperature drops severely if the ghost is angry. i don't think bruce willis was angry in the end but his wife was breathing out fog clouds. huh??
Old 07-15-2000, 01:24 AM   #31
etherealunicorn

re:

perhaps any strong emotion would have the same result

on the whole, I thought the movie was very neatly done.
It certainly kept you wondering.
Old 09-02-2000, 04:35 AM   #32
Son of the Suns I

Re: re:

Here's a list of all the films I saw in 1999:

1. Star Wars: Episode I-The Phantom Menace

It's Star Wars.. 'Nuff said.

2. Toy Story 2

It's even better than the first film.. and that's saying a lot.

3. Tarzan

The best Disney animated film since The Lion King.

4. GalaxyQuest

A very funny sci-fi spoof. And if you're a Star Trek/sci-fi fan, you'll love the many witty references.

5. The World is Not Enough

The best of the Brosnan Bond films.

6. George Lucas in Love

I know it's just a short film, but it's just plain hilarious!

7. The Mummy

Cheesy as hell, but fun.

8. Pokémon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back

I'm a fan, but I though it was "just ok".
Old 09-02-2000, 09:54 PM   #33
Elbreth of Carhouth

Episode I was great, saw it in the Imax. When the fanfare started and the logo came up I felt like I's being pushed back into my seat.

Tarzan I loved, I've got quotes galore from it. Very cutely done. It's my theory that Disney can only do one good film every so often. Alladin was good, Little Mermaid was good, you get my drift.

GalaxyQuest was hilarious, loved the Star Trek spoofs. I went not sure if I would like it or not, but would totally see it again.

The Matrix was cool. Mind boggling, but cool. I didn't miss any of the explainations the first time around. I guess that's because I'm used to thinking in terms of time/space/mind displacement. It was a neat thought, though impossible to explain to some of my friends who just couldn't get it.
Old 09-06-2000, 04:21 AM   #34
arynetrek

my list is pretty similar to most people's here...

1- Matrix
can't say anything more fitting than: loved it. every time i see that movie i find something new - notice Morpheus' glasses in the loading program, the Room 101 references (you have to read 1984 for that one), & of course the agony on the face of that guy as he's being turned into an agent (near the end, in the helicopter scene). teh fistfights did look obviously computer-aided, but the camera angles were so beautiful that they made up for it. the Trinity-Neo thing at the end first seemed too much, but did make some sense i thought - the AI can kill physically, but they can't touch the spirit & that's what Trinity did to save Neo.

2- Sixth Sense
again, all the little touches are incredible - even the first time i saw the movie i was thinking "just why would they do that..." but had NO idea about teh ending! what's really great is that seeing it again you both see more of the little details but are still surprised by the ending. and Haley Joel Osmond is a great actor - hopefully he'll have a long & sucessful career.

NOTE: M. Night Shaymalan (director of 6th sense) & Bruce Willis are making another movie together - can't remember the title now but long previews are already out in some theaters

2 1/2 - girl interrupted
i can't remember if this was from 99 or 00. if you haven't seen it, rent it. see it just because - you'll either love it or hate it. and i love winona rider - if i were male or gay i'd go out with her in a second.

3- TPM
i think Lucas just HAD to put in a character that can be merchandized to death, & did so with Jar Jar. that idea more than Jar Jar's behavior annoys me. however, i think it's a very good movie with wonderful effects; & the Qui-gon/Darth Maul/Obi-Wan fight scene has to be my favorite lightsaber battle of any of the movies.

4- October Sky
first saw this movie on a British Airways flight on a 6" LCD screen. i will confess that it has to be a VERY good movie to make me stay awake on an 8-hr flight (& stare at that tiny screen for 2 hours), & this one did both. the most well-done "inspiration" movie i've ever seen, mostly because it made it's point without explicitly saying it.

aryne *
Old 09-06-2000, 05:39 PM   #35
noldo

Movies I thought were good (in no particular order):

American Beauty

Intelligent and great plot, good actors...

The Sixth Sense

What can I say? One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Phantom Menace

Natalie Portman's hot.

Sleepy Hollow

A visually pleasing movie.
Old 09-09-2000, 09:27 PM   #36
Wizard of the Secret Fire

3, Sleepy Hollow (looks nice)
2,The Sixth Sense (great story)
1, The Matrix (wonderful)
Old 09-24-2000, 10:14 PM   #37
Gilthalion

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, I WATCHED AND ENJOYED THESE

The World is Not Enough (Video)
The Mummy
Tarzan
Galaxy Quest (Video)
Matrix (Video)
The Sixth Sense (Video)
Phantom Menace
Sleepy Hollow (Video)

A not-too-shabby year.
Old 10-03-2000, 09:09 PM   #38
SarahStar

Let's see if I can get something started here <g>

Commenting on other what has already been said here would be redundant and would only serve to make people mad at me, so I'll skip most of that.

However, I do want to point out that the thing at the end of The Matrix with Trinity and Neo is not supposed to make sense. It doesn't have to make sense. It's very much a resurrection sort of thing. The name "Trinity" ought to be ringing bells at this point. Literary devices (such as allusion or allegory---which was this? interesting question) don't have to make literal sense in the context of the plot. There's also the interesting notion that the robots are ultimately defeated by something that they can never understand because it cannot be rationally explained; thus, Neo's resurrection is the complete opposite of everything they represent.

Yikes, I can't believe I'm actually seriously discussing The Matrix.

What I really wanted to do was to ask if any of you saw Magnolia. That movie is definitely at least a runner-up for my favorite movie of 1999 (that was 1999, right?). It's the kind of movie that you either find intriguing or completely, utterly boring. I like it for its sheer weirdness. (If anyone is familiar with the movie I will elaborate, but I don't want to give it away!)

(Oh, and I'm not even going to try to list all the movies I saw last year. It would take too long. It's a family thing, ok? We watch movies. It's what we do.)

http://www.geocities.com/shadowstarsrpg/sarahsig1.jpg