Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-26-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

What makes a memorable story for you?

I think we've had a thread on what makes successful stories (bad as I am I didn't check *hides from mods*), but I was wondering what makes a story trully memorable for you, like the small things that make it beautiful?

I like it when the writer gets the unusual combination of a good ending, that closes off all the main issues within the story, but still leaves you with at least one thing to think about. I hate it when it ends and you are not satisfied, but I do like it if there is perhaps a subtle, unasked question for you to think on.

As a writer myself, and a language student I love beautiful descriptions, and think good description is an art form many have but don't quite get to it because they over or under work it. I always remember the quote "don't tell them the story, show them." If you show someone something then they see what is there in its simplicity.

And with that, a simple but strong story line is always best.

Anyone have any opinions? Or examples of things they loved?

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

A story is memorable for me when I become so caught up in it that I can't -and won't- put it down before I read it through entirely. And when I've finished it, I put down the book, sigh and say "Wow!".

A memorable story is the sort of story which you can't ban from your mind as soon as you've read the words 'the end'. You keep thinking and thinking about it for several days, analysing and wondering about the plottwists and motives.

It's when you no longer see the words that make up the story but that you read without actually realising, and not even noticing that your turning the pages, and when you're seeing the scenes before your mind's eye.

The fine line between enough description and too much is a fine one, but once you've learned just how much is needed (some writers never learn IMO) it adds a whole new dimension to the tale you want to tell.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
It's when you no longer see the words that make up the story but that you read without actually realising, and not even noticing that your turning the pages, and when you're seeing the scenes before your mind's eye.
I agree. This is absolutely key for me. I usually do this with a good, well written book. The story will not be memorable for me if I can't do this.

Also, if I can identify with the characters, and am moved by events and surprised by the plot.

I find Terry Brooks and memorable and suspenseful writer, for example.

The ultimate test is if I read the book more than once, feeling the desire to 'relive' that world.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote