Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Cat breeding

A simple question:
Do you think it’s right to improve cats by breeding, only to get them to be good show cats, although the breeding causes serious malformations?

An example on this is a type of cats named Manx. To be a good specimen for its race, it shouldn’t have any tail. This race was developed from a cat who had a mutation and therefore no tail. This characteristic also brings complications; the cat’s back is also deformed. If two cats of this race mate, all of their kittens die; the gene is lethal.
Other examples are: white cats with blue eyes (who often are deaf) and Sphynx (who haven’t got any hair) (these two characteristics are also caused by mutations).

Is it right that people systematically breed cats for their own advantage, though it can be painful for the cat, or consciously breed cats that have deformities?

I know everyone have the right to say their opinion, but I'd prefer if cat-haters didn't do that here.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 06-20-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, a manx can only breed with a "normal" moggy, otherwise they'll miscarry. We had a manx stray once (followed me home, "Mum, can we keep her??"). She had no reproductive capabilities, and kept miscarrying, so we had her fixed. Apart from that, she was perfectly healthy though, if a bit mad.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

I did not know that Manxs (that looks weird, I think that's spelled wrong) and Sphinxs (that looks odd too) were bred from cats with mutations! Thats awful! Now that I know that I think thats not only wrong; thats sick!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
There are actually many purebred cats today that have come about because of mutations.

The Scotish Fold, a charming short-haired breed came about as the result of a cat in Scotland born with ears folded down in a way that they look as though they are almost flat atop the head.

There are several breeds with curly fur that have come about as the result of mutation as well -- the Cornish and Devon Rex cats are examples.

Most breeders that want to continue to produce these characteristics in future generations do so in a fairly responsible way -- usually breeding the mutation to other, healthy and well established breeds (British shorhairs, Oriental shorhairs, Siamese, etc.). The resulting kittens will benefit from being mixed breed, and the dominant genes will take over. It takes many generations to establish a new breed and it is my understanding that mix breeding continues even after a breed is well established.

However, there are genetic characteristics that are passed on in some breeds that can cause health risks in cats. Manx tail-lessness is one. And eye and nasal problems result from Persian breeders trying to breed excessive "pug faces" on their cats
(a practice with which I don't agree -- I don't think Persians are particularly pretty cats as the result of their pug faces --).

Some currently popular breeds that have come about as mutations are the Ragdoll and the Munchkin. The Ragdoll is a very large breed and seems to be quite healthy. The Munchkin, however has short, dachshund-like legs and I'm afraid could be suseptible to spinal or other problems and I don't think the characteristic is one that should be continued to other generations.

Messing about with mother nature is a delecate process and should be approached with care.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Nerdanel

Thank you for the information, BC. I was waiting for your response.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 06-21-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Glad to be of help, Ner. I've accumulated a lot of information over the course of years and years of reading all manner of cat-related material. I really enjoy studying cats. I've love them since I was little. (I got my first cat as a 5th birthday present. She had an awful temperment and didn't like me much. I adored her!)

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Glad to be of help, Ner. I've accumulated a lot of information over the course of years and years of reading all manner of cat-related material. I really enjoy studying cats. I've love them since I was little. (I got my first cat as a 5th birthday present. She had an awful temperment and didn't like me much. I adored her!)

Cats are wonderful! I really adore them.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 06-21-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Messing about with mother nature is a delecate process and should be approached with care.
Indeed. I have nothing against breeding new breeds of cats but it should be done with care. Generally I'm against breeding breeds that can't survive on their own or are seriously hindered by those characteristics the breeders look for.

Take those persian cats that look like they hit a wall at high velocity! Their flat nose causes them respiratory problems and the long hair is too long for them to maintain their coat themselves. They need humans to survive. If these cats or the spynxes without hair or the munchkins are abandonned, which some of them will be, they are disadvantaged in their survival.

That's my main grief with breeding cats. You musn't touch their innate abilities.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Indeed. I have nothing against breeding new breeds of cats but it should be done with care. Generally I'm against breeding breeds that can't survive on their own or are seriously hindered by those characteristics the breeders look for.

Take those persian cats that look like they hit a wall at high velocity! Their flat nose causes them respiratory problems and the long hair is too long for them to maintain their coat themselves. They need humans to survive. If these cats or the spynxes without hair or the munchkins are abandonned, which some of them will be, they are disadvantaged in their survival.

That's my main grief with breeding cats. You musn't touch their innate abilities.
Those are exactly my thoughts. Thanks for expressing them.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page