Old 09-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

North Korea to Give Up Nuclear Aims

Quote:
N Korea to 'give up nuclear aims'

North Korean delegates gave a standing ovation as the talks ended
North Korea has agreed to give up all nuclear activities and rejoin the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, in a move diplomats called a breakthrough.

In return, the US said it had no intention of attacking the North, which was also promised aid and electricity.

The agreement came during a fourth round of six-nation talks in Beijing, aimed at ending a three-year standoff over North Korea's nuclear ambitions.

But correspondents warned that some key issues had not yet been resolved.

"This is the most important result since the six-party talks started more than two years ago," said Wu Dawei, China's vice foreign minister.

Mohammad ElBaradei, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency [IAEA] also welcomed the development, saying that UN inspectors should return to North Korea as soon as possible.

"The earlier we go back the better," he said.

The chief US negotiator at the talks, Christopher Hill, praised the development as a "win-win situation", adding: "We have to seize the momentum of this."

But he promptly urged Pyongyang to end operations at its main nuclear facility at Yongbyon.

"The time to turn it off would be about now," Mr Hill said.

The BBC's Charles Scanlon in Seoul says that while the statement appears to be a significant step forward in principle, difficulties may arise in its implementation.

One issue which has yet to be resolved is North Korea's demand that it be given a civilian light-water nuclear reactor to generate electric power.

This US has described this request as a non-starter, but agreed in Monday's statement that the issue could be addressed again in the future.

Disagreement also remains over the scope and scale of North Korea's weapons programmes.

The question of verification of these programmes has yet to be addressed - an issue which our correspondent says could present the most formidable obstacle to a final agreement.

Inspections

This historic joint statement came as hope was fading that the six-party talks could ever reach a deal.

Correspondents say the US was on the verge of walking out of the talks and heading home - a fact that may have been the clincher which forced North Korea to back down.

In Monday's statement, the North "promised to drop all nuclear weapons and current nuclear programmes, and to get back to the Non-Proliferation Treaty as soon as possible".

This latter detail is crucial, as it will allow United Nations inspectors to return to the North's nuclear sites.

In return the US made some conciliatory statements, affirming it had no nuclear weapons on the Korean peninsula and "has no intention to attack or invade [North Korea] with nuclear or conventional weapons".

The joint statement also said the other five nations involved in the talks - China, Japan, South Korea, Russia and the US - were willing to provide energy assistance to North Korea, as well as promoting "economic co-operation in the fields of energy, trade and investment".

South Korea has already offered to deliver 2m kilowatts of electric power.

The agreement also mentioned North Korea's relations with Japan.

Tokyo and Pyongyang have been locked in a dispute about Japanese citizens kidnapped by North Korea, and the statement promised the two countries would "take steps to normalise their relations".

The six parties agreed to implement Monday's agreement "in a phased manner", using the principle of "commitment for commitment, action for action".

When they meet again in November, they will have the difficult task of working out how this will work in practice.

The long-running nuclear dispute began in late 2002, when the US accused North Korea of having a uranium-based nuclear arms programme, in violation of international agreements.

CRISIS TIMELINE
Oct 2002: US says North Korea is enriching uranium in violation of agreements
Dec 2002: North Korea removes UN seals from Yongbyon nuclear reactor, expels inspectors
Feb 2003: IAEA refers North Korea to UN Security Council
Aug 2003: First round of six-nation talks begins in Beijing
Feb 2005: Pyongyang says it has built nuclear weapons for self-defence
Sep 2005: N Korea agrees to give up nuclear goals

DETAILS OF DEAL
N Korea to abandon all nuclear weapons and programmes
N Korea to return to nuclear treaty and UN monitoring
US states it has no intention of attacking N Korea
N Korea says it has right to "peaceful uses of nuclear energy"
N Korea's demand for light water reactor to be discussed at "appropriate time"
I'm glad that there's important, good news out there right now. I think there will be issues, but this is a very positive step by North Korea. I hope that maybe this new attitude about nuclear arms will lead to a new attitude about human rights.

I admit to being surprised to hear this news. It is a step in the right direction.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

I hope N. Korea really means it...but with Kim Jong Yung II, who knows?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

Is this the END of the nuclear family?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Just saw a story headline that now the North Koreans insist that the US give them civilian nuclear reactors in order for them to agree to dismantle their nuclear arms.

Those North Koreans are such teases!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

IMO, North Korea does NOT mean it, and no one in their right mind in gov't is going to fall for any N.K. tricks and manipulative demands.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well, I don't have a lot of faith in Kim Jong Il, but that's why I never expected this news. But like I said before, it's a step in the right direction. Letting in UN inspectors is a start, for example.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:33 AM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
IMO, North Korea does NOT mean it, and no one in their right mind in gov't is going to fall for any N.K. tricks and manipulative demands.
I definitely agree. North Korea seems to me to be paranoid, however. The government constantly thinks we're planning to attack. Though considering how they're treating their civilians, it might just be better to do it . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
North Korea has formally told the UN it no longer needs food aid, despite reports of malnutrition in the country.

Deputy Foreign Minister Choe Su-hon said the country now had enough food, due to a good harvest, and accused the US of using aid as a political weapon.

Top UN relief co-ordinator Jan Egeland said an "abrupt" end to food aid would harm North Korea's most vulnerable.

I'm not serious when I suggest we should invade. We can't afford the cash, and as long as the Bush Administration believes there are alternatives to fighting, I will continue to hope. But North Korea is proliferating nuclear secrets, thus showing itself to be a direct threat to the world's security. It is ruthlessly brutalizing its people, just as Saddam was, and now is starving them in order to show a tough national image. North Korea badly needs a regime change. That China and Russia are supporting that government is very, very sad.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-24-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote