Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Hobbit movie plot ideas

I just read an interesting set of plot suggestions by some English guy. Many of them were quite good and well thought through. How about ours?

I think the movie would start out well with a brief scene of Gandalf, within the Necromancer's lair, retrieving Thrain's golden key. Then it could cut immediately to the Shire, providing a vivid contrast laden with possibilities.

I also think Beorn must go the way of Bombadil in PJ's LOTR. He's just not the right shape-shifter for the film version.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'd hate to see Beorn go the way of Bombadil. While it can be argued that Bombadil didn't fit the style of the further chapters in LoTR, Beorn fits in much better in the Hobbit. His home with horses and dogs serving food and the bee hives outside might be a very interesting visual in the movie. Although one not easy to pull off, I fear.

Another possible opening is Gandalf's meeting with Thorin that is described in UT, I believe.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

I just don't see how cutting away from ongoing plot for a minimum of 10 minutes (and likely more) to showcase horse and dog waiters and waitresses can work for the film unless it's more Disney than not and that's not an outcome I'd prefer. That being said, if it's included, that's fine, too.

As a brief aside, I dig how Tolkien made his shape-shifter one of the good guys. I think he was creative and outside-of-the-box in doing that. Most of the time, e.g., Brooks, the shape-shifters are cast as evil demon spawn!

Personally, I'd handle Gandalf's meeting with Thorin as a flashback, perhaps while the company has just escaped the trolls and is approaching Rivendell.

BTW, the guy I cited in my opening post proposes opening the film, if I remember correctly, with a brief sequence of Bilbo leaving home for a stroll about the Shire, saying a brief hello to the Gaffer and several other friends in the process, culminating with him climbing a hill to gaze wistfully at the mountains (perhaps whispering something like, "Some day, I'll visit those mountains") so as to emphasize his repressed Tookishness proclivity for adventure, before returning home at dusk for the safety and comfort of his wonderful Hobbit hole. That could work, too!
Old 05-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Beorn is a much better fit for TH. He actually has something to do with the plot exposition, and he's an awesome fighter in his later scene...so yeah, he does come back. As opposed to Tom, who popped in for one chapter and then vanished, essentially.

The horse and dog waiters and waitresses are really a minor part of Beorn, his part can be modified.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Good points. P.S. I got tix for the Yanks-Red Sox in the Bronx on the 4th of July. Not that I have a dog in that fight (I can't get too excited about a pair of teams in an new upstart league that didn't even begin playing ball until the 20th century ) but I've got to visit Yankee Stadium before it's too late.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Earniel

I just like the image of the horses and dogs in Beorn's house, but I don't think it has to be necessarily all Disney for that. It has a strong fairy tale element, that's all. The visit to Beorn could be a welcome break story-wise from getting attacked by trolls, getting attacked by orcs, getting attacked by wargs ect... Depending on how it's handled, of course.

Besides, Beorn not only provided the company with horses until they get to Mirkwood (although arguably this can be cut, they worked around the hobbits without their barrow swords too) but as Curubethion said, he also shows up for the final battle, and that could be an interesting visual asset to the battle: a giant bear, battling orcs and saving Thorin from battle. If I was working at the Weta Workshop, I'd love to do that.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Earniel, you're winning me over on Beorn - "bring on the bear!"
Old 05-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
Earniel

Glad to hear.

What do you think they'll do with Gandalf's absense in the quest? We later learn he went to help driving away of Sauron from Dol Guldur. Would they use it in the movie?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Personally, given the two-movie plan, the "bridging" built into the concepts, and the number of people who have already seen or read the LOTR movies or book, I can't imagine them not using it (but that's just me).
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
I just read an interesting set of plot suggestions by some English guy. Many of them were quite good and well thought through.
Here's the URL - check it out!

http://www.storyscape.net/hobbit_screenplay.html
Old 05-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
It's clear that the guy did think things through when he made his suggestions. I think a lot of them were quite good. I'm not convinced about the 2nd Bridge movie. I just don't think there's enough material to warrent it's own movie. I don't see why it is needed either... Gandalf explains most everything in the beginning of the Fellowship.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan View Post
I don't see why it is needed either... Gandalf explains most everything in the beginning of the Fellowship.
[shocked] What?! You've never heard of $$$?! [/unshocked]

Old 05-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Kennashi
Enting

Though it should be interesting since I'll have 5 instead of four movies to watch back-to-back when I'm craving for a quick recap movie session (The Hobbit, prequel movie, then LOTR). It'll be great! For me, at least.
Kennashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Actually, as long as the movies keep selling at the box office, there could be an almost inexhaustable array of them given the Simarillion. I'm not necessarily saying this would be a good thing, only commenting on the Hollywood fact that when there's a genre that can be branded and a track record of selling, e.g., James Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, Austin Powers, etc., the nature of capitalism is that more are produced. In the case of LOTR, The Hobbit, the bridge films, and prequels (e.g., Simarillion-based), the genre/brand is "Middle Earth."
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hmm, interesting idea ...

How about an opening similar to FOTR, with a flashback and a voiceover narrative? Maybe the Thorin/Gandy meeting, like Earniel suggested. This would kind of keep a similar "theme".
Eh, I don't know, maybe not...

Anyway, I think you could do the pony servant thing as an interesting background during an exposition-type scene where things have to be explained.

I don't know why they think they need 2 movies, though.

And yes, there's tons of material in the Sil, if the Hobbit goes over well.

Anyway, I'm hopeful for at least a semi-enjoyable film. When is it supposed to come out? Probably no date set yet.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #16
Kennashi
Enting

The Sil?? No no no no...I hope to God that will never EVER come to pass...NO. Would people keep in mind that the Sil is a book of entire histories and mythologies?? Trying to cover all of Middle-earth's history in a series of films would be a mess! It's like trying to put the entire bible on film, it's just not done!
Besides, you guys know that Christopher will never let anyone touch the film rights to that as long as he's alive...and I would like it kept that way. Some things are just not meant to see the silver screen.
Kennashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennashi View Post
It's like trying to put the entire bible on film, it's just not done!
Mel Brooks did a pretty good job with it.

Actually, what people are thinking of - at least what I'm thinking of - is not a movie called "The Simarillion," any more than a movie called "The Bible."

I'm thinking of telling stories from the Simarillion on film. Think of the functional equivalent of The 10 Commandments, etc.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #18
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

There's a problem with prequel material for the Hobbit, though, in that I think it's stretching credulity to believe that Gandalf seriously thought a bunch of dwarves and a burrahobbit would have a whelk's chance in a supernova of bringing down Smaug.

Better to play it in the "Road goes ever on" type stylee without too much explanation, I think.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #19
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennashi View Post
The Sil?? No no no no...I hope to God that will never EVER come to pass...NO. Would people keep in mind that the Sil is a book of entire histories and mythologies??
Yes, we all know that here - I said "tons of material IN the Sil" - like what Jon S said, you would pick out individual stories. I wasn't saying it was a good or bad idea, I was just noting that I'm sure it's being considered since LOTR did so well and movie people like money.

Quote:
Besides, you guys know that Christopher will never let anyone touch the film rights to that as long as he's alive...and I would like it kept that way. Some things are just not meant to see the silver screen.
I don't know ... if the Hobbit is a hit like LOTR, and Chris gets a little short on cash ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 05-14-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #20
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
There's a problem with prequel material for the Hobbit, though, in that I think it's stretching credulity to believe that Gandalf seriously thought a bunch of dwarves and a burrahobbit would have a whelk's chance in a supernova of bringing down Smaug.
Yes, maybe it's a bit of a stretch for non-LOTR fans, but you could do the scenes from "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales ...

Gandy - "Suddenly in my mind these three things came together : the great Dragon with his lust, and his keen hearing and scent; the sturdy heavy-booted Dwarves with their old burning grudge; and the quick, soft-footed Hobbit, sick at heart (I guessed) for a sight of the wide world ..." ... "I knew in my heart that Bilbo must go with him, or the whole quest would be a failure ..."

Then throw in quotes about even the Wise don't know all ends, and the great and the small,etc.

The more I think about it, the more I kinda like it - show stuff brewing in the background - shots of the Dragon's rage and destruction against shots of Bilbo growing up in the peaceful Shire, shots of the Dwarves getting slaughtered as they came out of the gate against shots of Bilbo growing up in the peaceful Shire, all with a Gandy voice-over with those quotes. Kind of a sense of impending doom heading towards Bilbo...

Or not! We'll see.