1. The 6th Sense

2. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

And my number one pick for 1999 is...

3. They Matrix

Sorry if I offended anyone with TPM not being #1
Old 04-01-2000, 06:31 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: Favorite Movies of 1999

TPM was the best movie of '99, and it's certainly the only one people will have heard of 20 years from now .

The $420 mil in this country alone says it all...
Old 04-01-2000, 06:34 PM   #3
adidas96

Hey! TPM made #2. You said you never saw the Matrix, which is obviously why you couldn't say it was #1. You havent seen the 6th sense either, which was a fabulous movie! See them both!
Old 04-02-2000, 03:41 AM   #4
anduin

Ben...you really need to see the Matrix.....
Old 04-02-2000, 01:18 PM   #5
juntel

I'm still trying to FORGET about TPM!
Big disapointment.

The Matrix ruled SciFi in 1999, no matter the box office.
(Bad ending though...)
Old 04-02-2000, 01:59 PM   #6
adidas96

The ending was wierd. If he destroyed the Matrix, then why was he still in the Matrix?
Also, I heard rumors that there will be a prequel for the Matrix. Remember the war they talked about in the movie between the Artificial Intelligence and the humans? That's what the movie is supposedly about.
Old 04-04-2000, 02:24 AM   #7
juntel

Well, he didn't destroy the Matrix itself, just one of the (most powerful) agent that was in the Matrix to track down "illuminated" renegades.
The groups can now, with the help of Neo, work from inside the Matrix to dismantle it little by little... for imagine if the Matrix had really been destroyed right away: billions of naked and bald atrophied humans would have to be taken care of!!!! They have to destroy the Matrix only little by little, in a way to rescue most people...

I would have like that Neo dies in real life, but keeps on living in the Matrix despite what the renegades believed... The spirit surviving without the body... That would have been fantastic! But instead we have Princess Charming kissing Sleeping Beauty to wake him up... Brrrrr....

BTW, why do the people in the Matrix look the same as in reality?
Old 04-04-2000, 05:12 PM   #8
juntel

Any real people, including renegades. E.g. when Neo took the pill and "woke-up" from the Matrix, his real look was the same as the "in-the-matrix" look -- but wasn't he placed in the matrix as a baby... Anyways, no movie's perfect...
Old 04-04-2000, 06:54 PM   #9
adidas96

That explains a lot. Makes a lot more sense.
When you ask why they look like they do, do you mean renegades or just regular ppl?
Old 04-05-2000, 04:11 PM   #10
TheRobRoy

Re: Favorite Movies of 1999 - Back to the Topic

Here are my top five picks for movie of the 1999:
Disclaimer: Sorry, The Matrix was nice, but it was just an action/adventure with a lot of special effects, and The Phantom Menace was more like: "Make a movie when you have something to tell us."

5- The Jack Bull - HBO pulls this one from nowhere, John Cusak's finiest serious role
4- Three Kings - great social comentary, excellent effects
3- The Thirteenth Warrior - it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever, but I just enjoy a good hack & slash heroic fantasy
2- The Sixth Sense - spooky, realistic, didn't see the ending before hand so I was completely thrilled by it
1- Being John Malkovich - completely overlooked and a great film, if you haven't seen it you should.
Old 04-05-2000, 10:33 PM   #11
Elanor

Hm, the only ones I've seen are TPM and The Sixth Sense. I liked them both, but none of the 1999 movies seem overwhelmingly wonderful to me. The best part of TPM for me was the first time I watched it when the Star Wars logo first appeared and went zooming out into space, and I knew I was part of this "great American event"
Old 04-06-2000, 12:07 AM   #12
IronParrot

Just so you guys know, I have yet to see The Hurricane, American Beauty, Being John Malkovich or Magnolia.

Here's my Top 10 in approximatish order (all films I've only seen once unless otherwise stated):

10. The Mummy
I actually don't like this film that much - it's just a #10 filler for my Top 10 list, because a Top 9 would be silly. It's just that out of the rest of the films I saw in 1999, it was the best. It's not a great film, but it's certainly good fun to watch.

9. The Green Mile
Let me start off by saying that I don't like Stephen King as a writer. He's too commercial of an author - someone whose quality of writing simply doesn't match up to the sales. But this film was absolutely wonderful. The performances throughout were excellent - not just Michael Clarke Duncan's but Michael Jeter's as well. The screenplay was well constructed, and best of all was the direction. This story packed all the emotional punch it. I only have one big complaint about this film, and it's the fact that in the end, it never explained the phenomenon satisfactorially.

8. October Sky
An excellent film that hit home right away. This film is about ambition... and about the lack of opportunity growing up in a small coal-mining town... and about breaking the rules in the name of pursuing your dream. It's too bad it was released so early in the year that by the end of the year, everybody except for blokes like me forgot about it. I loved this film.

7. The Iron Giant
An animated cross between Terminator 2 and E.T: the Extraterrestial - and an extremely loveable one at that. I've been waiting for a good non-Disney, non-Pixar animated feature since The Land Before Time, and finally I've got it and I've got it really good. I really have to rent this and watch it again, or maybe buy the video. (Unless there's a DVD of it.)

6. Three Kings
This is another film I really need to see yet again, but haven't. Any other year, it would be at least third on my Top 10 list, or at least around thereabouts. This year, it's lower because there's, well, five other films that I loved even more. The cinematography, editing, direction, design, acting... basically everything about this film is excellent. It's the kind of film whose absence from the awards this year proves that the awards committees really are screwed up.

5. The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
It's nowhere on the level of Braveheart - but unlike most people, I didn't make the mistake of comparing the two. I saw the film for what it really was - a philosophical account of the fact that nobody really knows whether or not Joan of Arc was a servant of God, or a deception of the Devil. My agnotism must have boosted my enjoyment of this film significantly. I absolutely love this film. Luc Besson is frickin' cool...

4. Run Lola Run
... but not as cool as Tom Twyker, the director of this little German film. Not only is it more hyperkinetic than The Matrix, as well as probably the finest example of effectively used camera work since Citizen Kane, but it's got great philosophical roots in various degrees. First, the meaning of true love... love is when a girl does what Lola does (I won't spoil it) to save her boyfriend's life. Then there's parallel universe theory and all that.

3. Toy Story 2
My favorite animated feature film ever, and the best film of the year, keeping in mind that to me "best" is completely different from "favorite", although the two frequently intermingle. A pity I've only seen this twice.

2. The Matrix
I've only seen this film twice, too - but I'll get the DVD soon so I can watch it again and again. This is one of those films that is certainly one of the most memorable of all time, and will be remembered for years and years. As far as big violent gunflicks go, I like this even more than Terminator 2 or The Fifth Element. It's a pity the fistfights looked so obviously FX-aided and fake, because otherwise, there's really nothing significant I have against this film.

1. The Phantom Menace
I've seen this film thirteen times (which reminds me, I still haven't picked up my copy of the video) and while it doesn't get better with every viewing - I'd say the best was the first, actually, because I was exposed to it all for the first time - it is definitely worth the repeat viewings simply because it's so lush and chock full of detail. Never has a director's imagination been portrayed so well on screen. The more you think about it, the more overanalysis you do... it gets slightly worse, so it's certainly not one of the best films of the year, but it is by far my favorite.
Old 04-06-2000, 12:16 AM   #13
IronParrot

Wait! Correction! Correction! Change #10 to Galaxy Quest... how I could forget that uproarious thrill of a film is beyond me.
Old 04-08-2000, 11:37 PM   #14
bmilder

The Matrix is on tonight at 9, so I'll watch it.
Old 04-09-2000, 12:47 PM   #15
anduin

So, what did you think?
Old 04-09-2000, 02:39 PM   #16
bmilder

Well, it was weird. I'm not sure I understood it
Old 04-09-2000, 08:50 PM   #17
Fat middle

you won´t understand it till you get out the Matrix

BTW, do you want Morpheo´s #ICQ
Old 04-09-2000, 10:20 PM   #18
adidas96

matrix

Yeah, I also watched it last night. What didn't you understand? Anyway, a couple more things became clear, and I realized some other stuff. I figured out that the thing with the spoon (There is no spoon, etc.). This incident can relate to many events in the movie. When they have to jump across the building in the training sim, you must realize there is no gap between the two towers. There are many events that also relate to the spoon.
In my opinion, I agree with the phrase ignorance is bliss because i would rather be in the Matrix than out. If they destroyed the Matrix, people would wake up in a pod filled with goo with holes in my body surrounded by billions of other pods and dead robots. I would rather be in a simulation than in that type of envirenment.

Damn! I dont remember what else I wanted to say! I wanted to say one more thing, but I forgot wat it was. Anyway, one last thing. Was i the only one who got a laugh out of the "virtual pimp" thing with Mouse and the Lady in Red? :lol: Pretty funny.
Old 04-10-2000, 01:46 AM   #19
bmilder

Re: matrix

Well, it was unclear if he would really save the planet.

Some things are not even mentioned. Did the humans in the Matrix reproduce normally? They can't have, since all the humans were really separated in those pods. But if they didn't, wouldn't they notice that something was wrong? Did the people in the Matrix even have parents?
Old 04-10-2000, 07:56 AM   #20
Fat middle

Re: matrix

well, i assume that the machines take the work of reproduction. I think they would take the cells from the human bodies and join them "in a bottle". But perhaps you´re right about relationship: i don´t think the machines would stop to consider that. Relationship would be only another determination of the Matrix.

And to adidas, i think that quote about ignorance is one of the central points of the movie. The other one is that of Neo: (not literal) i don´t like when i think i cannot control my own life. What´s higher, welfare or freedom?