Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2002, 11:57 AM   #1
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Strider Any things you find annoying? Then post them here!

Does anyone think that there are any annoying things in the Lord of the Rings movie? For example, they cut Tom Babaldi out, and that Arwen replaced *Enter-the-elf's-name-that-saved-Frodo-in-the-book*.

So...if anything really annoyed you, post here *repeating, great *
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:17 PM   #2
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

!!!!!!!
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams

Last edited by viggosbeard : 11-19-2002 at 12:19 PM.
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:30 PM   #3
Tobu, Son of Toba
Sapling

Tom Bombadil Hmmm..

After seeing the extended version of the dvd,i find it annoying that the original didn't have all the extra character interaction, they were very small but made the characters seem more like the way Tolk intended.
Tom B being missed out also annoyed me cause he is great, but like Mr Jackson said that character would of been lost on a lot of people.
Tobu, Son of Toba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:36 PM   #4
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I didn't find anything annoying about the film!!

Oh my gosh i love your Orlando Avatar!!!!!!! I had one like that but i lost it!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #5
Faramir Took
Hobbit

annoying

who the heck is Tom Babaldi????????
Old 11-19-2002, 02:18 PM   #6
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Have you ever read the books Faramir took?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:26 PM   #7
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

I have a great annoyance with the Two Towers trailer.

--Spoiler follows for anyone who hasn't, for some strange reason, read the books--

Mainly, the fact that it shows Gandalf. Now, for those of us who have read the books, that isn't a problem, but I'm sure there are still plenty for whom they will, indeed, be ruining a fairly powerful moment in the series...
Old 11-19-2002, 02:31 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Honestly, where do I start?
Old 11-19-2002, 02:42 PM   #9
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Almost every scene where Aragorn and Gimli interact with one another........Tolkiens Aragorn whould not have treat a Dwarf with such disdain.

Everytime Sam Gamgee assumed that Guppy-fish-at-feeding-time look Sam Gamgee was an innocent (in the ways of the world) not a simpleton (neither was he so shy around Rosie).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:34 AM   #10
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

the film is too short - i would like to have seen this tom Babaldi feller aswell ! and before anyone asks yes I have read them and im only joking about Tom.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:24 AM   #11
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Gollum

Isn't it Tom Bombadill??? I would have liked to see him too but it would have confused people as he's only in one bit and to dedicate the size of scene he needed to make sense it would have made the film a lot longer- and most just fancy seeing the film people would have got numb bums (not that a six hour LOTR would bother me but I believe us Mooters are on a different plain to the common folk!) PJ would have had to have included the Barrow wights and all the stuff that proceeds and follows Bombadil and I don't think it would have been possible to do within a decent film time length. It would have been nice to see the Barrow wights (they really scared me in the book) but c'est la vie- You can't have it all. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:50 PM   #12
Draken
Elf Lord

Re: annoying

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir Took
who the heck is Tom Babaldi????????
I think he runs the dockside fast food franchise at the Grey Havens. The film misses out the chapter where a lone Corsair raiding ship attacks and in defending his restaurant he is forced to let his pizzas burn in the oven. It's called the "Scouring of the Pan".

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:29 PM   #13
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

The Two Towers are NOT Orthanc and Baradur, they are Orthanc and Minas Morgul. Tolkien said this himself in a paragraph that appeared at the conclusion of the FoTR Ballantine edition which feature his art on the covers. The art is also clearly Minas Morgul. Baradur was the illustration for the RoTK cover. Did they not know? did they not care?

Wraiths set ablaze only to appear with intact robes the next day was a little hard to swallow.

Arwen giving her strength to Frodo at the ford is in direct contrast to Tolkien's priciple theme that; great courage strength and virtue can reside in the small and ordinary. Frodo enduring the wound alone is an important element and forshadows the whole quest. What thwarts the wraiths is unexpected strength, not a highlander sword fight, or a noble elf maiden.

Arwen casting spells when Elrond is the keeper of Vilya.

Elrond lecturing Gandalf about the ring when Elrond is one of only a handful of people who know his true identity.

my favorite;

Aragorn telling Frodo to lean forward to shift the balance of what must have been 300 tons of rock.

There are so many more.......

In the end, all of the film's major mistakes are the result of unnecessary plot changes followed by screewriters who simply could not handle the source material.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 11-20-2002 at 11:51 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:43 AM   #14
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have been knocking the film a bit lately, but let me say I do love it overall, but here's what I find annoying:

*The whole flight to the ford scene. I don't think I need to explain this.

*Aragorn being so weak. Especially in the extended version where he says he does not want to fulfil his destiny.

*Aragorn hitting the pillow in Lothlorien. I still do not understand his motives.

*In the extended version where Sam says something about Bilbo's trolls when Frodo is hurt. I liked the other version where they did not mention the trolls, some nice eye candy for Tolkien fans. Of course it took me several viewing to even notice the trolls.

*Elrond hating men so much.

*The wizard duel. 'Nuff said there.

*Galadriel's hissy fit.

I think thats enough for now. In the TT, one thing which really annoys me is when someone (I think Aragorn) says Sauron's purpose is to rid the world of Men (or something to that effect). Umm, there are other peoples in ME arn't there?

Last edited by cassiopeia : 11-21-2002 at 12:45 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:43 AM   #15
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Oh, there are far too many annoying things to even begin. The film has to be the biggest annoying thing. Why do directors who interpret books for films feel the need to put their own spin on it? Take Captain Corelli's Mandolin. The book (Like LotR) is amazing, but the director chose to make it a love story and nothing else, warping the charactors completely. Why can't they stick to what's in the book and if it's too complicated for a film then DON'T MAKE THE FILM!!!!!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:45 AM   #16
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Nazgul

Sorry if the massed unsmilies scared anyone. I got a little carried away!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:36 AM   #17
Millane
The Dude

iam a loyalist to the books and the movies...
i am overjoyed about the movies so i am not going to say im pi**ed off about thing but i would have hoped they would have includedthe scouring of the shire such an awesome and integral part to the story... apart from that great...
Old 11-21-2002, 08:34 PM   #18
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
*Aragorn hitting the pillow in Lothlorien. I still do not understand his motives.
it's cause he thinks they're corny too.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:27 AM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner
The Two Towers are NOT Orthanc and Baradur, they are Orthanc and Minas Morgul. Tolkien said this himself in a paragraph that appeared at the conclusion of the FoTR Ballantine edition which feature his art on the covers.
Actually, there is some lee-way there. Although some books specify Orthanc and Morgul (which make sense), if you read Tolkien's Letters, it will quickly become apparent to you that even Tolkien wasn't sure which two towers they were referring to. Remember that "Two Towers" is an arbitrary title given due to the publishers Unwin & Allen enforcing the division of the story.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:31 AM   #20
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Please post the quote from letters where Tolkien contradicts his paragraph at the end of FoTR. I have read, but no longer own, letters and don't recall that statement but would be interested in being corrected if it is there.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote