Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Mercutio

Space Shuttle Discovery

The Discovery is scheduled to launch at 3:51 Eastern time (less than a half hour away) from the NASA base in Cape Canaveral, FL.

This is the first flight since the Columbia exploded 2 1/2 years ago.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I heard they postponed the launch. Something wrong with a fuel sensor.
Too bad.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Mercutio

Yep. They had already postponed the launch from a month or so ago...now again.

Quote:
Workers were loading the seven astronauts into Discovery when they detected that one of four fuel sensors in the external tank wasn't giving a signal, National Aeronautics and Space Administration spokesman Allard Beutel said in an interview at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The sensors detect when there is a low level of liquid hydrogen in the external tank that would lead to the shuttle's main engines cutting off prematurely, Beutel said. The external tank provides fuel to the three main engines that propel the orbiter into space.
They might try to launch it tomorrow (if it's fixed in time).

Better safe than sorry though.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
They might have a heck of a time launching it at all with the hurricane season that has been predicted.
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Since was a problem, I'm glad they went ahead and scrubbed the launch. Get it fixed, get it right. And then there was that problem a couple of days ago where the window protector came off and when it fell, it knocked off some protective tiles. I'm happy they fixed that, too. I hope they can get it off on their next open day, which will be Saturday.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Those shuttles are old. I wonder if NASA has the funds to continue developement of a few new shuttles. I heard something about it a while ago but I guess they are still very prototype.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

No more shuttles. They dont even want to use these to their projected use dates. They want them scrapped by 2010.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Tuesday evening there was a small story, not repeated, that a window had fallen out of the shuttle and damaged tail heat tiles. NASA said, no problem, they'd still go on Wed.. NO epoxy glue solutions for me. Those astronauts should have screamed bloody murder at that announcement. I find it most interesting that now the launch was delayed by "a false sensor reading"....at the news conference. Then today they're saying a fuel tank replacement. What are we dealing with here, junkyard rejects?

Last edited by Spock : 07-14-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Theyve had this problem before where the sensor reads full when its empty or vice versa. They replaced the sensor. They replaced the fuel lines. They even replaced the fuel tank. It seemed to finally fix itself. They arent sure how. So they went ahead with launch plans. And now its doing it again.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #10
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Tuesday evening there was a small story, not repeated, that a window had fallen out of the shuttle and damaged tail heat tiles. NASA said, no problem, they'd still go on Wed.. NO epoxy glue solutions for me. Those astronauts should have screamed bloody murder at that announcement. I find it most interesting that now the launch was delayed by "a false sensor reading"....at the news conference. Then today they're saying a fuel tank replacement. What are we dealing with here, junkyard rejects?

It wasn't a window, but just a plastic cover taped over the window to keep it clean till the launch, if fell about 60ft or so is why it was able to slightly hurt a tile, better safe than sorry.....the sensor is the big concern and of course they're a bit worried, but that's the glory of the challange of space, eh! I want to go!

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:23 PM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...bits and pieces falling off multi-million dollar space thingy's don't make me confident.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
Mercutio

NASA has to launch by July 31 if they want to get to the International Space Station. If they miss that the next chance is September 9. Not too good considering this shuttle was going to help get some repairs done on the Station.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #13
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Think about it Spock, there are about a MILLION bit and pieces to every shuttle. Not everything can be perfect, and with something that big and that complex, something is bound to go wrong.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Think about it Spock, there are about a MILLION bit and pieces to every shuttle. Not everything can be perfect, and with something that big and that complex, something is bound to go wrong.
How much does Bush give for the Space Program? - Like Spock said, you'd think they'd get it right before setting the date.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh c'mon. There are things that happen that you just can't plan for.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:46 PM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yeah, and that's what happened to Challenger!
This is space, not the Old Forest, they're going to. Everything HAS to be right the first time. It has been for years with one or two exceptions.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #17
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Everything HAS to be right the first time. It has been for years with one or two exceptions.
Except for the minor things they never bother to mention to the public, possibly?

Do you work for the space program? Do you have any idea what goes into building a shuttle and all the things that can go wrong? Geesh, try building a toy rocket some time.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #18
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Yeah, but the last time I built a toy rocket it freaking exploded.

We're not talking about some toy rocket, we're talking about a real space ship with people inside it. Nobody wants another Columbia.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #19
Mercutio

Speaking of toy rockets, I need to ask my brother if he has any use for his (Last time he used them was 6+ years ago, I'd say). They're quiet fun. I just need a nice field and an interested friend.

The soonest they could possibly launch is Saturday.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #20
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

T-to answer your questions: yes; no; sure.

I love it how you manufacture and find excuses for everything and everyone that goes awry.