Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2002, 08:50 PM   #1
midnightflame
Sapling

Strider legolas's eye color

does anyone know legolas's eye color it's been driving me and my friends nuts some say their brown, some say green, some say blue and in the movie his eyes are purple what color are they i need to know what eveyone thinks or knows so i can single out what color!?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SOME ROSES ARE RED
VOILETS ARE'NT BLUE
I KNOW I CANT SPELL BUT WHAT ABOUT YOU!!!!

HA HA HA H AH AHA HA HA HA

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IM HAVENIG FUN OHHH LOTS OF SHINY RED BUTTTONES!!!!!!!!
midnightflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:15 PM   #2
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

I believe that the color of his eyes in FOTR is brown, but in TTT they are blue.

In place of a dark lord you would have a queen. Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn.
Treacherous as the sea. Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair."
-Galadriel
Frodo&Merry'sGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:09 PM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

How'd you arrive at that conclusion?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:31 PM   #4
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

pictures I've seen. in the pics of FOTR he has brown eyes and in TTT trailer he has blue eyes.

In place of a dark lord you would have a queen. Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn.
Treacherous as the sea. Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair."
-Galadriel
Old 07-31-2002, 12:00 AM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Since this is the books forum, I think that midnightflame means Legolas's eye color in the books.

Edit: you do mean Legolas's eye color in the books, right midnightflame?

Psalm 107:31

Last edited by Khamûl : 07-31-2002 at 12:05 AM.
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:43 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Ok, let's just say for the sake of argument that the movie is not relevant here. The only thing that is relevant is Tolkien's own words. The problem with this is that he changed his mind on many occassions as the mythology grew. In the appendices in RotK Tolkien describes the Eldar as being tall, fair of skin and grey eyed with dark hair accept in the golden house of Finarfin. Legolas was a Sindarin Elf and the Sindarin Elves were a branch of the Teleri. He very well could have had green eyes, but NEVER in the books do I recall any elf with brown eyes.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Frodo&Merry'sGurl, read the announcement at the top of the forum.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:20 PM   #8
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I don't really see what's so interesting about Legolas' eye color that you had to start a thread about it.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:24 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

It can be useful of you are planning to draw a picture of Legolas.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:35 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The same reason people argue about other Tolkien discrepancies, because they're interested in all things Tolkien. I mean, I'm not overly fussed about eye colour, but I don't mind discussing it either. It makes for a change from balrog debates. Are you trying to discourage debate, Faramir?
Old 07-31-2002, 11:08 PM   #11
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

I don't remember reading anything in the book about his eye color, but since elves are fair I would guess blue.

-Galadriel
Old 07-31-2002, 11:24 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Frodo&Merry'sGurl
I don't remember reading anything in the book about his eye color, but since elves are fair I would guess blue.
I'm sure someone with a greater understanding of Eldar characteristics could better answer this, since I'm only trampled through the Sil once. But I will say this: I don't agree. Not all elves are fair, and I seem to remember the colour grey featuring prominently, even if only with the noldor, I believe?
Old 07-31-2002, 11:44 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

As I said in my earlier post, Tolkien changed his mind. BoPs, all Elves were fair of skin. Tolkien did not limit though eye color or hair color to specific races of the Eldar later on. All Vanyarin Elves had golden hair and grey eyes. I would say they were the only ones that were consistant in this. The Noldor seemed to be mostly dark haired and grey eyed, but there were golden haired Noldorin Elves outside of the house of Finarfin. I believe the Teleri were Silver, or dark haired with grey, and possibly green eyes.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:01 AM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Thanks for the info. I was talking about fair in relation to blue eyes, perhaps I should have been more clear...
Old 08-01-2002, 01:18 AM   #15
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

The only eye color I remember Tolkien mentioning ever about anyone is grey. So let's just say grey, eh?
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:02 AM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree with RE. When reading the books, I've always pictured the majority of the elves with grey eyes. Glorfindel, Elrond (eh, half elven), Arwen (though they tell you), Legolas.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:54 AM   #17
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I just think there are more interesting Tolkien issues to talk about. But if you guys think it's interesting, well your you, not me. And I was not trying to discourage the debate, just voiceing my opinion. Is there anything wrong with that? And if anyone wants to know the real answer to the question Did Balrogs Have Wings? go here or here. So, I won't bother you anymore, you can go on discussing eye colors. Have fun.
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:05 PM   #18
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

Not all elves are fair, but the majority of the ones left in ME at the time of LOTR were I believe.

-Galadriel
Old 08-02-2002, 06:20 AM   #19
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I only remember Tolkien mentioning grey eyes. Does it say any other color anywhere?
Old 08-03-2002, 11:37 PM   #20
Galendhol Asada
Hobbit

Location: Either in Northern Mirkwood, Rivendell, Lothlorien, or in Battle somewhere else and maybe even a an Entmoot party
Strider

It's quite odd because I have many different pictures of Legolas in the movie. If you notice that in the counsil of Elrond his eyes are brown and in the pictures of the counsil of Elrond their brown. In the scene where Boromir dies his eyes are blue. In moria his eyes are brown. But you also have to realize that they did not follow what Tolkien said they looked like, too. So I think that their honey, or light brown, I can send alot of pics to you on e-mail so you can get your opinions though.