Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2002, 06:41 PM   #1
ladyisme
Enting

Nazgul Not Even Nominated?

The so called show biz expert on Fox News predicts that Lord of the Rings won't even be nominated for the Oscars this year because they didn't win an award at the Golden Globes. If anyone has any information or oppinions on this subject I would love to hear them.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
Uinen
Sapling

Dunno

Haven't heard a thing but I certainly think that it deserves to be nominated regardless of the response at the Golden Globes.
Strange but I heard somewhere some comment made that they didn't pick LOTR because "it made too much money"!

However, in the strange hope that there is some justice in the world... I do hope that LOTR will be nominated for Oscars and will win!

There are so many issues since the way that LOTR has been made is so unique and one wonders if it will only be truly up for awards once all 3 have come out.
I still do think that Peter Jackson, for filming 3 films altogether(!!!), deserves an award for Best Director. His method is certainly cutting edge and unique.

Lets all keep our fingers crossed! or roots... or swords... or pipes... or whatever! LOTR all the way!
Old 01-26-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I hope LotR is nominated too . . .

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:22 PM   #4
Darth Tater
The man

The Golden Globes have never ever EVER proved to be an accurate predictor of the Oscars.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 01:50 PM   #5
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

Peter Jackson will be nominated. I'm sure. What was my resource again? I forget.

LotR will probably be nominated for best director, best picture, and best adapted screenplay. I'd be surprised if it didn't get nominated for all of those.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 02:53 PM   #6
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE: Not Even Nominated?

Quote:
Originally posted by Liviaine: LotR will probably be nominated for best director, best picture, and best adapted screenplay. I'd be surprised if it didn't get nominated for all of those.
There's no way The Lord of the Rings will be nominated for those 3, especialy for Best Adapted Screenplay ( Unless there's a shortage of adapted screenplays )

The only nominations FOTR deserve's are for things like special effects and props, which are the only things that hold true to to the books and were actualy done well.

MAYBE it could be nominated for best supporting actor, but there's too little acting going on in the film to justify an oscar.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 01-26-2002 at 02:55 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 04:01 PM   #7
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

I bet it won't win best picture because there's no sex in it. Nearly all the best picture winners in awhile (excluding Gladiator) have sexx in them.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:30 AM   #8
daring gaffer
Sapling

you're probably right about the academy being biased towards sex
but then again i've rarely been in agreement with whatever movie they decide to crown
i've always looked at it as a pretty corrupted show
and i certainly don't need the academy to tell me what is a good pic and what isn't
it so happens i liked the movie since i view it as pretty much completely separated from the books but that's a whole other discussion
back on topic i agree that the globes are not a prerequisite for winning an oscar
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
daring gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 03:54 AM   #9
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

I hope it gets nominated for at lest 3 awards, including Best Picture.
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 04:19 AM   #10
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

You have to be a true lover of the book to apreciate the movie to it's max. And i dont think that there are to many of them in Hollywood
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:06 AM   #11
athelas
Enting

It might get nominated, but I feel its chances of winning are rather slim, except for SFX.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #12
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

I have no doubt that it'll come away with some SFX awards because its only real competition is Harry Potter but not even that because LotR is not a children's book and HP is so LotR has a little more credibility

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote