Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2002, 02:51 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Finally

As some of you know, the premier of LOTR opened in Thailand the same time my plane was boarding to bring me back to the land of the Nazi Muslims (aka Saudi Arabia)

Luckily, there is a black market here and I saw a boot leg video.
( there are no cinemas in the country)

Overall my impression is lukewarm.

First I wanna, state that I'm aware that it is a movie and that there needs to be changes.

I've no problems with that concept.

The hobbits I was completely neutral too. They looked the part to me; however, they seemed to be just there.

Merry and Pippin I couldn't tell apart.

Gandalf seemed like an incompetent drunk pedophile. He definately DID NOT exude the wisdom of an Istari.

Elrond, has the blood of Elves, Men and Maia in his veins. He looked...well damn ugly for an Elf.

Why did he talk down to Gandalf as opposed to treat as being of wisdom and power.

Gimli was ok except for that stupid helm.

What's up with Galadriel? She seemed to play Galadriel the way the Rohirrim and Gondorians speak about her in the books.

Liv, never felt that she was that attractive. I just too much of her father. ( when she was riding to the ford, I thought of the Aerosmith song Back in the Saddle)
However, she was not as bad as my fears assumed she would be.

Aragorn I liked. The part about him turning from that path I thought was an interesting change.

Legolas I thought was well done. They gave him the otherworldly qualities that I think set the Elves apart.

The surprise for me was Boromir. I really like the way he was in the movie far more than in the books.

I felt that his last stand and death were the best parts of the movie.

The Uruk Kai were impressvie. Not to sure if I care for thier birthing process.

I thought the Balrog was cool BUT the CGI there and with Isengard, and Bara Dur seemed amatuerish.

I wonder if non Tolkien fans could follow what was happening.

Sorry for the lack of rigor, but I'm tired.

PS the Nazgul scences were to my liking.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:08 AM   #2
anduin
Entwife

Glad you got the chance to see it!

Quote:
The surprise for me was Boromir. I really like the way he was in the movie far more than in the books.
Hey, that was my feeling exactly. I swear that scene has to be one of my favorites of all time. And to think that Boromir was not even close to being one of my favorite characters. I guess visual representation can have an impact on you.

I seem to agree with all that you say, but I am so fine with it that it doesn't even occure to me to mention it. (....not saying that you shouldn't mention it. ) I am just so happy that it turned out as well as it did....it had such potential to be terrible.

Were you entertained at all by the movie? Didn't just sitting there watching it make you feel almost nostalgic? To me the best part of the movie is the familarity at which the story unfolds. How great it is to know a character so well that you can find fault with his potrayal on the screen.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:44 AM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I'm gonna watch again and see how I feel about it this time.

Yes, It could have been a HORRIBLE film.

If I was younger I think I would have really liked it.

Yes, Boromir went from being one of my least favorites in the book to one or two in the movie. Legolas is still Da Man err... ELF

Yes I was entertained. Mosttly when the Nazgul were around I'm a sucker for slow motion

I did like the council of Elrond and the Uruk Hai.

Unlike most people, I did like the Bilbo/Galadriel Tempation Freak Outs.

We'll see how I feel after I check it out again.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-19-2002, 08:46 AM   #4
kennebecc
Hobbit

Glad you got to see it too

From what I've read your reaction was common. People just expected more, and were somewhat disappointed on the first viewing. I found the second time, much more enjoyable. I knew what to expect, and just allowed myself to succumb to the lure of the film . . . cough.

Enjoyment of the film may also hinge on your personality type . . I am definitely hobbit, and perpetually optimistic, so I don't think I could possibly have been discouraged from liking it.
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:55 AM   #5
Darth Tater
The man

Glad you got to see it. However, this is really a big screen movie and, even if it means a few thousand dollar airplane trip to the USA, it's worth it to see this on the big screen!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 01:04 PM   #6
Quazar
Hobbit

Gandalf

I definately agree it is a big screen movie, in fact I sat in the last row (in a medium size theater) so I could take it all in.
I really like Aragorn, I think the performance was wonderfully understated, but compelling.
The Fordo temtation scene with Galadrel was excellent. I disagree about the CGI scenes, I think they did an excellent job of not overwhelmimg the entire movie with special effects.

Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:11 PM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks for your replies.

I'll be heading vak to Thailand in a few weeks. There I can see it on the big screen in a great theather for about $1.80

I'll probably watch the bootleg tomorrow.

Quote:
Enjoyment of the film may also hinge on your personality type . . I am definitely hobbit, and perpetually optimistic, so I don't think I could possibly have been discouraged from liking it.
I think I'm more of the grim Northern Ranger type.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-19-2002, 05:18 PM   #8
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
Merry and Pippin I couldn't tell apart.
If you looked harder at their faces and listened to their accents you would've seen the difference.
Pippin was the one with the adorable Scottish accent and that cute little white scarf and the inclination to want to do things over and over and over again(Like stealing vegetables,lighting off fireworks etc)he was also ALWAYS hungry.
Merry on the other hand was the one who seemed to be eating apples during the duration of the movie. In Rivendell, in the Shire, just before they get to Amon Sul. And if you didn't notice he was wearing a yellow waist coat and brown over coat and this face that made you want to laugh just looking at it.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:23 PM   #9
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

I agree with you about Boromir in the film, I think Sean Bean was perfect for the role.

I couldn't help but like Vigo Mortinsen as Aragorn too. Although Peter Jackson made him weaker in battle and made him an exile e.t.c I still think he did a good job, I think he looks 'noble' too, if you know what I mean.

P.S Where do you live Afro-Elf? I can't seem to find 'the state of black and gray' on the map
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:39 PM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I'm an exile of sorts.

Despite my numerous typos, I teach ESL in Saudi Arabia.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-19-2002, 05:50 PM   #11
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Samwise

What I meant aside from the physical looks of Merry and Pippin, was that the characters redundant.

I think another reason is that when I read LOTR the hobbits are not my focus. Its, the Dunedain (North and South) the Elves and Gandalf.

Thus my attention was drawn to the weapons, and armor and manners of these folk. And I just TEND to gloss over the halfings.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-19-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:27 PM   #12
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I was a non-Tolkien reader when I went to see the movie, and I basically got the plot...
Old 01-19-2002, 06:41 PM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

have read the book since you have seen the movie ?

if so, which do you prefer ?

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-19-2002 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:52 AM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

After the second go round the thing that I can say is PERHAPS the punk !@#$% Gandalf in the FOTR is to contrast with Gandalf the White.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-20-2002, 09:30 AM   #15
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Second Round!!!

Lucky you! I haven’t seen the movie...yet…

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 01:21 PM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Elvellon

Being an Elf Lover like myself.

I think that you will like Legolas.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-24-2002, 06:23 PM   #17
Elvellon
Elf Lord

I hope I will like the movie, I’ve heard many contradictory opinions.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote