Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2002, 02:13 AM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Cheap plastic aquarium plants?

I recall an interview with Peter Jackson, and he was explaining the level of creative detail in the film, and to paraphrase, he stated he even had the glasses on the tables completely handblown to his designs because he didn't want someone saying, "Hey! I've got a set of six of those glasses at home!" So he hired glassblowers to create Elven and hobbitish glassware, and so forth.

Er, Peter, so why the plastic aquarium plants?

At the Battle of the Gladden Fields, when Isildur is waylaid by Orcs, and the Ring betrays him by slipping from his finger, the ring floats down into a thick growth of cheapo platic aquarium plants, the likes of which can be picked up in any half-rate fish store. Why? For less than $60 US, Mr. Jackson could have arranged a grove of living aquatic plants and kept up to his artistic standard. Has anyone else noticed this and wondered as I have?

Peter: Hey! I've got a set of five of those same plastic plants anchored in my aquarium at home!

Just a niggling, minor point, admittedly. I think I'll get one of those One Ring replicas and sink it in my tank...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 02:15 AM   #2
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Additional: I wonder how common jewel cichlids were in the depths of the Anduin. LOL!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:19 AM   #3
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

That's it...Cheapo plastic plants were originaly created by TOLKIEN HIMESELF!!!
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 02:44 AM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Of course, Carden....cheapo plastic aquarium plants were obviously a collaboration between Ulmo of the Waters and Aule!
Old 01-05-2002, 12:10 PM   #5
Pailan
Elven Warrior

"Peter: Hey! I've got a set of five of those same plastic plants anchored in my aquarium at home!"

Very nice bp!

I need to own those so I can recreate that scene at home with my tetras and guppies! Wanna bet there are out takes with gold fish swimming in them?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Cheapo plastic aquarium plants

I guess that's what you get when cut out Goldberry

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:30 AM   #7
Gildor
Hobbit

Ring's abode among the cheapoplastica

Falling, nay lunging from Isildur's hand, listening in triumph to his shouts of agony as he thrashed in the waters of the cold Anduin, the one ring swirled in glee. Here he would hide...here midst the cheapoplastica, waiting...waiting...amusing himself with the slugs. . . could he make them disappear as quickly as they came crawling? Heh heh heh
Old 01-06-2002, 09:49 AM   #8
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Now if we only had a sculpture of a Stoor Hobbit leaning down to pick up a ring...
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:25 PM   #9
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

ROTFL, what if they had also included those other abominations of the aquarium trade in the shot:

The cheap plastic castles, shipwrecks with the bubbles making the paddlewheel go 'round, or the plastic diver bobbing up and down over the open chest of garishly-painted treasure? All jammed into gaudy purple-and-pink gravel with lavender and mauve broadleafed plastic plants, and as the One Ring filters down to the bottom, a hand comes in shot to release the diver stuck in the lid of the treasure chest?

Reminds me of a parody of "Thunderbirds Are Go!" by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore...where they show a hand with a match lighting the bottle rockets at the back of a futuristic airship....as the countdown digresses....
Old 01-07-2002, 09:21 AM   #10
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I watched Jaws last night, the scene were the Tiger shark is cut open to see what it had been eating... imagine if the Ring fell out along with the tag from Louisanna... Oh this could be a whole new thread! Yikes!

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:44 AM   #11
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

'And so it came to pass that the One Ring lay in the depths of the Anduin for many generations. It was there that Golluslug, a descendant of the mighty Slugs of Anduin, crawled through the Ring. And he saw that when he was in the Ring, no other slug could see him nor discern his presnce. So he used the Ring, spying upon his fellows, learning their secrets, and was given long life, far beyond the years of other slugs, by the evil power of the Ring.

'And he kept the Ring safe, as a slug could, and held it dear to his hearts; and he cradled himself in it, and called it 'preciouss'. And so he came to know the power of the Ring, and he used it, claiming its power for himself, and in his evil dominion held sway over all other slugs for a three-foot radius, and called to him all evil bottom-dwellers, and waged warfare upon his neighbors. And in the riverbed of the Anduin, a small shadow grew, black and slimy, and he reveled in his dark sluggish glory.

'And so it was, the One Ring lay for thousands of years, and the Ring was given the perpetual willies; it revulsed in the slime track of Golluslug, and it waited, biding its time and muttering under its breath, until the day Deagol fell into the Water, and in grasping the Ring from its resting place on the bottom of the River, he squashed Golluslug, to the everlasting delight of the catfish and enslaved slugs. And the riverbed was free, the Shadow passed out of knowing of slugs, and the weeds and grasses grew over his former stronghold, and he was forgotten.'
Old 01-07-2002, 06:01 PM   #12
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I remember hearing that there was an actual text stating that a fish actually swallowed The Ring, it was filled with madness and then died.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:47 PM   #13
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Bropous, you are hilarious! I didn't notice the cheapo plastic plants in the Anduin, but I don't doubt that they were there. Golluslug . . . heh heh heh. Lol.

Btw Gildor : Cheapoplastica? Cheapoplastica uncreativicalis moviesceneriolia, perhaps? *giggles*

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 12:02 AM   #14
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Awww. I was awaiting the day when Golluslug would reveal himself and challenge the supremacy of Sauron.

Saruman: You know of what I speak . . . a giant slug, wreathed in flame!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 07:10 AM   #15
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Good one, FrodoFriend.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:39 AM   #16
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

lol bropous - you missed the "no fishing" sign amongst your aquarium paraphernalia.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote