Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #41
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Umbar was always opposed to Gondor, but not always in league with Mordor.
I twice disagree:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of herbes and stewed rabbit, TTT
'Tis said that there were dealings of old between Gondor and the kingdoms of the Harad in the Far South; though there was never friendship. In those days our bounds were away south beyond the mouths of Anduin, and Umbar, the nearest of their realms, acknowledged our sway. But that is long since. 'Tis many lives of Men since any passed to or fro between us. Now of late we have learned that the Enemy has been among them, and they are gone over to Him, or back to Him-they were ever ready to His will-as have so many also in the East
not to mention that Earnil I once made Umbar a fortress of the Numenoreans; moreover:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondor and the heirs of Anarion, RotK
The great cape and landlocked firth of Umbar had been Numenorean land since days of old; but it was a stronghold of the King's Men, who were afterwards called the Black Numenoreans, corrupted by Sauron, and who hated above all the followers of Elendil
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #42
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

And think how arnorean and gondorean rule looked from the POV of the native ME population. The natives were always considered inferiour,not good enough. Marriage with them, even their royals, was considered a disgrace for the Numenoreans. The natives were never eligible for any important functions. And so on. Were the natives happy? I doubt it, especially those who were not related with the three houses of the Edain.

Edit: re your last post, which I have saved from the post-eating beastie

I said Umbar was NOT ALWAYS in league with Sauron.

At the time of Black Numenoreans, around the War of the Last Alliance they were (your second quote)
But at the time of Castamir and his children and up until 2941 - the return of Sauron to Mordor- they weren't!
Then, when Sauron returned to Mordor, he sent emissaries there (your first quote)

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 02-22-2006 at 02:07 PM.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #43
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Were the natives happy?
I never argued that the they were - only that the harsh regime of the late Numenor was never paralleled after the sinking of the island. There were misgivings - but that is hardly a base for comparison; even the valar can fault in Arda marred.
Quote:
I said Umbar was NOT ALWAYS in league with Sauron.
Though ever ready to his will says a lot of their corruption - a recurrent theme for most, if not all, of these enemies.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote