Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2002, 01:43 PM   #61
Legolas_is_fit
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil

No offence but LORT as a musical, it would to long the movie is 3 and a half hours as it is and with songs in it it would be an 5 hour musical which is really BORING
And then you have to make the other three musicals which again would be around 6 hours long
Gimli:Toss me over to the gate. But just dont tell the elf.
Aragon:Ok I promise

Well it goes along those lines i cant remember the exact words
Legolas_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #62
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Legolas: Numero uno) Hama1 is doing a really good job and I can assure you it will not be boring!!

Numero dos) READ THE SCRIPT!!! I think it sounds quite good. I personally thought it would be pretty rubbish until I read the script! Now I LOVE the idea!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:59 AM   #63
Legolas_is_fit
Elven Warrior

I was thinking I wouldnt like to see LOTR as a musical but what about the hobbit that would make a great musical ony because the book is short. And not as packed as LOTR. What you think?
Gimli:Toss me over to the gate. But just dont tell the elf.
Aragon:Ok I promise

Well it goes along those lines i cant remember the exact words
Legolas_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #64
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

Well when someone says they hate musicals that is understandable because musicals just have music in them to have it. On the other hand an opperetta has music that helps the story along. So therefore I can see why people hate musicals.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:47 PM   #65
galadriel
Elven Warrior

While that's true to a certain extent, *good* musicals have music that's expressive and extremely plot-related. There's always a few fun and silly songs, but those shouldn't be the norm.

Then there are musicals like Les Miserables... it might as well be an opera; it's entirely musical.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:08 AM   #66
hama1
Elven Warrior

I agree with Galadriel. In the case of Les Miz, I have to assume Thenardier's big song, Master of the House was was written expressly for comic relief in what is otherwise a very somber, serious show.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:22 AM   #67
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Lots of people criticise musicals because they are primarily 'commercial' theatre, they're for entertainment rather than anything else. But that doesn't mean they're worth less than 'serious' theatre, it's nice to just sit back and enjoy something once in a while.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:57 AM   #68
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
In response to whoever said it would be boring: If you don't like musicals, well, then... But the script has been truncated a lot from the book and looks like it'll be very well done; more in the quicker timeframe. I'm referring to things like the attack on Weathertop.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:45 PM   #69
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I was thinking I wouldnt like to see LOTR as a musical but what about the hobbit that would make a great musical ony because the book is short. And not as packed as LOTR. What you think?
Why do you assume it would make a better musical simply because it's short? The length of a musical does not determine it's quality.

Ok, I'm going to go on a little rant right now, on what has been said. Personally, I don't see how anyone can think a musical is boring. People randomly breaking into song? How can that be boring? You never know what's going to happen! If it's a well-written musical, that is. Which, by the way, the One Ring Musical is.

A lot of musicals are made just to get money, but another lot of them are very serious and have very serious and real themes, like Les Miz, or the theme of racial prejudice in South Pacific. All good musicals use the music to help the plotline along or develop hte characters. Even in Les Miz, Master of the House not only gave the show some comic relief, but it showed how corrupt and horrid the some of the businesses and people were in that time period and gave you a feel for what the Thenardiers were really like.

and there's my rant.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:52 PM   #70
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I just hope its a good as the Phantom of the Opera. I loved that one!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote