Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Cornelius Fudge--former Death Eater?

Ever since I finished OOTP, I've been wondering about this. I think he could have been a Death Eater. Here's my reasons:

-Fudge knew nothing about being Minister...perhaps he thought that if he became Minister for Magic, he'd be well guarded and Voldemort would think twice about going after him, since Fudge would have Aurors on his side.

-How do we know that advice on being Minister was the only thing Fudge wanted from Dumbledore? Maybe he was also asking for information on Voldemort's wherabouts and how to protect himself if Voldemort got to him.

-Fudge might not have wanted to believe that Voldemort was back not only because he Voldy's a powerful dark lord and all, but because Voldemort might discover Fudge's place if his return is advertised too much and Fudge is asked his opinion too much.

But I also have my doubts. After all, wouldn't Fudge be all the way with Dumbledore?

But he also could be a current Death Eater in secret because he was all of a sudden totally against Dumbledore after Voldemort's return, and maybe he kept telling people not to believe what Harry and Dumbledore were saying because he didn't want Voldemort's position discovered. And could he have made the Dementors flee Azkaban to allow the imprisoned Death Eater's to escape? After all, as Minister he has control over the Dementors.

I've given my opinions, so you give yours.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I would highly doubt this. He's just far too incompetent to be knowingly in league with Voldemort. I say knowingly because he's obviously under the influence of Voldemort's followers, especially Lucius Malfoy, who is clearly on his good side and likely wields some power over him.

He could have unleashed the Dementors or let the prisoners escape ages ago if he wanted, and he's fervent enough about using the Dementors to keep a lock and key on Azkaban that there is no reason to believe he had a direct, intentional role in trying to cause harm to the magical community.

His stern resolve to debunk the whole return-of-Voldemort thing in OOTP is clearly out of his long-standing belief that Dumbledore is a fearmongering paranoid. I find that Fudge was merely being politically selfish and trying to dodge responsibility.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:42 PM   #3
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I think FUdge is to stupid to be in league with Voldy. I mean Malfoy being buddy buddy to him had it's advantages but Voldy probably wouldn't want someone that dumb to be in league with haim.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

I highly doubt this. He represents the putting-of-the-head-in-the-sand, and the sinking-to-the-level-of-the-Death-Eaters.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #5
Sween
im quite stupid

If he was a Death Eater he would be in no doubt about Voldermorts return because he would have a death mark!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #6
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

he couldnt be a death eater because in book 4 voldemort says 3 are missing from the circle. One was at Hogworts,that was Crouch, one was to scared to return Karkaroff (sp), and the other had left forever and would be killed, Snape. There is no mention of Fudge in there at all.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

But it wasn't just those three. There were many other gaps in the circle, the narration doesn't give us his exact words for all of them.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #8
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

I say he's under the Imperius Curse.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:17 AM   #9
sun-star
Lady of Letters

If Fudge was a Death Eater, former or current, I think we'd know about it. He's an appeasing politician whose inability to listen to unpleasant facts puts the wizarding world in exactly the danger he's trying to avoid, but he's not a DE. He's weak, not evil. I feel sorry for him, in fact.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:17 AM   #10
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

he could be under the imperius curse but what would be the point malfoy is alreadya powerful figure in the ministry and is on the inside of everything crouch knows about. i think voldemort wouldnt waste his time on him
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote