I think they are.

If sais in the song of Treebeard..

First, eldest of all, the elf-children.

Are elves older or are Ents older?

Ent the Earthborn, Old as mountains...
Old 11-26-2000, 02:27 PM   #2
Eruve

Re: Are Elves Immortal

Ents are older than Elves. I think Treebeard says something about being around when the Elves awoke.

Elves are immortal in a sense. They can be slain or die of grief, but if this doesn't happen, they do go on living, seemingly forever. However, in reality, Elves have the same life as Arda. When Arda ends so will the Elves (possibly, really, it isn't known what will happen to them). An Elf that has been slain or dies of grief may be re-incarnated after an appropriate time spent in the Halls of Mandos (the length of time spent there is determined by Mandos based on how "good" the Elf was).
Old 11-26-2000, 08:27 PM   #3
Fat middle

what Eruve said

but Elves were the first speaking people. they taught the Ents how to spaek, though they develop later their own language.
Old 11-26-2000, 11:53 PM   #4
Grand Admiral Reese

An Elf will not die unless killed(although only the most greivous wounds will kill an Elf) or he wastes away of grief.

Otherwise every Elf will live forever(or atleast until Arda is broken and remade). After the Dagor Dagorath, who knows what will happen. Only Eru Illuvatar.

The Ents are older than the Elves. They were created by Yavanna about the same time that Aule created the Dwarves. Both were put into a long sleep shortly after their creation.
Old 11-30-2000, 10:41 PM   #5
Elanor

I have a question: if elves were perfectly fine in Arda before the rings were made, why did they have to leave after the One Ring was destroyed? I know that the 3 lost power, but why did that matter if they had been fine before the 3 were even made?
Old 12-01-2000, 01:14 AM   #6
Eruve

The Elves weren't leaving Arda, they were leaving Middle-earth. Where they were going was part of Arda, too.

Elves live a long, long time. By the most conservative of estimates, Galadriel was over 8000 years old by the end of the Third Age. While they age slowly, they do age, and with aging comes fading. I'm not sure I can explain what all fading entails, since I'm not sure I understand it entirely myself... (Hint, hint, Michael!) But what the Three Rings did was hold off fading; and Elves faded faster in Middle-earth than in Aman. So at the end of the Third Age, with the One destroyed, the Three lost their power. Certain remaining Elves left, a good number of them it seems, but not all (e.g. Celeborn), so they could hold off the fading process longer in Aman. If I understand it right, life becomes more and more unsupportable to an Elf once fading begins--unsupportable but inescapable--so they want to hold fading off as long as possible.
Old 12-01-2000, 03:07 AM   #7
Xivigg

Elves are immortal in the way that they don't die of old age
but they can be killed and they can let themself die when they lost the losing the will to live .

So when in the middle earth the proud Eldar lost everything they build including the 3 rings nothing keep them leavingfor Aman were everything they old dear is waiting for them.

They could have leave earlyer but they were the only thing that keep THE ennemies from overrunning all the middle earth

I can be wrong but iM positif i've see something like that somewere
Old 12-07-2000, 11:42 PM   #8
Durelen

ents most certainly weren't awoken before the elves. ents, like the dwarves, were not allowed because Eru told the valar that the eldar would be the firstborn, before every other race.
Old 12-08-2000, 12:42 AM   #9
anduin

Re: Re: Are Elves Immortal

Welcome to the board.
Old 12-08-2000, 10:15 AM   #10
Durelen

Are Elves Immortal

thanks for the warm welcome
Old 12-08-2000, 06:21 PM   #11
Eruve

Yes, the Elves are the Firstborn Children of Iluvatar. Ents are not Children of Iluvatar. There are several instances of JRRT mentioning that Treebeard was the oldest living thing in Middle-earth. One is where Gandalf says to Theoden that when Theoden talks to Treebeard, he will be conversing with the oldest living creature in ME. There are also a couple of mentions in Letters. There were many creatures alive before the Elves. Sil. mentions monsters that walked in the darkness after the Spring of Arda. Also the Eagles of Manwe.

I don't think you can really make the comparison with the Dwarves. Aule created them out of impatience: he couldn't wait for the Chilren to be born so he would have pupils. He went beyond the limits of his authority and created something that wasn't in the Music. The Ents came about because Yavanna asked Manwe to intercede for her with Eru so that trees would have some sort of protection. She and Manwe then had a conversation about the Music in which Manwe reveals that there was already something in Eru's plans to protect trees. The Ents were in the Music the whole time, but no one noticed.
Old 12-10-2000, 05:22 AM   #12
arynetrek

question from the Tolkien Sarcasm Page's middle-earth test:

14. Reconcile Tom Bombadil's statement that he is "Eldest" with Gandalf's statement that Fangorn is "the oldest of all living things". Extra Credit: suggest a valid date of birth for each of them. Document your answers.

and here's a serious question for y'all - Iluvatar created the Ainur/Valar/Melkor, who in turn created the Ents/plants/Dwarves; and Iluvatar created the Elves/Maiar/Men. Now, who created the Eagles? were they Manwe's doing? And what about eeevil critters like Ungoliant - one of Iluvatar's or his creations' creation? she was around before Arda was created, but she had to come from somewhere.

or is she the anti-Iluvatar?

just some thoughts...

aryne *
Old 12-10-2000, 08:08 AM   #13
Fat middle

hmmm, difficult questions...

I think that the Maiar are not different than the Ainur. they were Ainur, but not of the greater Ainur so i think they weren't present at the Music playing.

yep, i think Manwe made the eagles and all the birds, but i can't recall a textual reference for this.

Ungoliant... wasn't she a corrupted Maiar? hmmm, i think i should read Sil. again
Old 12-10-2000, 03:05 PM   #14
Eruve

Ainur = Valar and Maiar combined. They were all present when the Music occurred. The difference between Maiar and Valar is one of rank and relative power. The Valar are simply ranked higher and are more powerful.

Ungoliant: it is said that no one knows where she came from. It is implied she may be a corrupted Maia. I think so because she is strong enough to almost vanquish Melkor (once he is tired out and has expended a great deal of power).

I don't know about the idea of the Valar creating anything per se. If you read the part about the Ents in Sil., Yavanna did not create them. It is revealed that they were in the Music all along, and had gone unnoticed until Yavanna asked Manwe to intercede with Eru to protect trees. I don't know if it can be said that Manwe created the Great Eagles, either. He may have taken some ordinary eagles and put his ower into them so that they possessed some intelligence. JRRT speculates on the Eagles a bit in Morgoth's Ring, and doesn't really come to a conclusion, IIRC. He says they may be lesser Maiar incarnated as eagles or may have been somehow raised up by their contact with the Valar, and so become able to speak and reason. It is said specifically that Melkor cannot create. I can't remember now if this is because he is a Vala (as opposed to a God) or because he is evil.
Now if you consider the Dwarves, did Aule create them? Yes and no. He created puppets. They were alive apparently, but incapable of independent action, until Eru acted on them directly and gave them that power. So Aule created their bodies, their physical make-up (their hroa to use JRRT's term) but it took Eru to give them a spirit or soul ( fea).
Old 12-10-2000, 07:27 PM   #15
Fat middle

Quote:
He says they may be lesser Maiar incarnated as eagles or may have been somehow raised up by their contact with the Valar, and so become able to speak and reason.
i haven't read Morgoth's Ring (though i think that's the first HOME book i'll read). Do you remember if Tolkien mentions there something about the ability to speak of Croack and his kindred in the Hobbit?
Old 12-10-2000, 11:50 PM   #16
Eruve

Nothing specific. There is a section in MR which presents essays or passages where JRRT is more or less thinking on paper. At one point he is philosophizing on whether the Orcs might actually be beasts with the ability to speak, and he brings up creatures on the "good" side that have the same ability. He mentions Huan and Thorondor specifically, but I imagine whatever conclusion he may have eventually drawn (he didn't actually come to a conclusion) could be extended to other speaking creatures.
Old 12-11-2000, 04:38 AM   #17
arynetrek

thanks!

aryne *
Old 12-22-2000, 12:26 PM   #18
Eldoran LFD

Yes Elves are immortal
they can "die" of wounds and of grief but when they do so they go to the Halls of Mandos.
From here they can be resurrected.
Men, however, when they die they die. That is the blessing of men granted by Eru.
Elves will live forever in spirit form or not but men when they die they go some place "close to Eru".
Old 12-26-2000, 08:35 PM   #19
Michael Martinez

Elves are not said to live "forever" by Tolkien. They live with the life of Arda. That is, their "lives" are destined to end when Arda ends. Men live briefly in Arda and then their spirits go elsewhere (presumably they leave the Halls of Ea).

The physical lifespan of the Elves was in fact altered, although whether it was altered by the Valar with Iluvatar's approval or altered by Iluvatar and announced by the Valar isn't made clear.

Fading was introduced as a punishment for the rebellious Noldor, but it apparently became the fate for all Elves at the end of the First Age, when the Valar once again summoned all Elves to pass over Sea to Valinor.

When Tolkien speaks of "life" and "death" he has certain meanings and usages in mind which don't really coincide with our every day usage. His meanings are founded upon the certainty that Iluvatar creates spirits outside of the Halls of Ea (the universe) and sends them to indell or incarnate in physical, biological bodies.

The physical bodies die. For Men and Dwarves the death of the body comes swiftly, but it is not "true death". That is, the spirit, the awareness or consciousness of the individual, survives intact. Hence, you may have wraiths (although all are Human or Elven -- Dwarf spirits go to the Halls of Mandos).

Elves "die" but their spirits, unlike those of Men, remain in Arda. Unlike the Dwarves, the Elves may be rebodied at some point (but this is not certain). Also, unlike Men an Elf's spirit may elect NOT to go to the Halls of Mandos. Elf-wraiths may remain in Middle-earth as "haunts", staying close to the lands they loved in life.

It seems to be accepted by Elves that Men will continue to exist after Time ends. The concept of "after Time ends" should seem streange, because by definition there is no "after Time" in the strictest sense. But Time is itself only a measurement of one dimension (duration) of the physical universe (the Halls of Ea). Something akin to Time may exist outside of the universe (call it an Absolute Time, but don't try to confuse this with Einstein's Theory of Relativity, which would have nothing to do with it).

In Absolute Time there would be a progression of event much like in Time (or call it Ea Time) but there need not necessarily be any one-to-one correlation. Still, it could be mapped something like this:

Ea Time: ..........|-------------------------|.......
Ab Time: |------------------------------------------|

Ea Time exists only for the duration of the hyphens (-), and Absolute Time exists "before", "coinciding", and "after" Ea Time.

Human spirits are believed by the Elves to leave Ea Time and therefore have (in the Elves' opinion) a true "Eternal existence". The Elves fear that they will cease to exist when Ea Time completes its run.

The essays in Morgoth's Ring are useful to a point but they represent different stages of thought in Tolkien's life and in general are applicable to an incomplete effort to redesign the cosmology to be more "scientifically valid".

In Tolkien, physicality or incarnation are not exactly the same as existence. Existence is possible without incarnation. Elves, Men, and Dwarves are Incarnates by nature. That is, their spirits become aware with birth. What proceeds afterward is irrelevant because they were not empowered or given the choice to incarnate themselves.

Ainur (of whom only some became Valar and Maiar), when they enter the Halls of Ea, may choose to incarnate themselves in various forms (Yavanna most often preferred to incarnate herself as a tree, for example). For this reason, Tolkien called them the Self-Incarnated. Normally, these creatures had the ability to change their form or disincarnate themselves (literally to shed the bodies they had made for themselves).

At some point Tolkien decided that they could become permanently incarnated for one of several reasons. Melkor became permanently incarnated because he diffused his power into other creatures and into Arda itself in an attempt to identify himself with it.

This concept of permanent incarnation almost certainly predates the essays in "Myths Transformed" (the section of Morgoth's Ring which we're referring to). The essays seem to be expanding or explaining the rough ideas which had been a part of the underlying storyline for many years.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:56 PM   #20
Eruve

Thank you, Michael!