Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

The White Queen

Has anyone watched any of this? I don't think I'll watch any more. Each episode they feel a need to show a certain amount of gratuitous sex and nudity. I have been drawn in by the history and characters though. It's set at the time of the War of the Roses (1455 to 1485 in England).

I read some reviews indicating that the history may not be that sound. I don't doubt it, just because that's how things often go in the realm of entertainment, where history is "adapted" as much as (or more than) any novel might be.

From what I've gathered, the main events of the history seem fairly right - I'm not sure if it's the details, or the settings that historical critics find so out of place. It certainly demonstrates how terrible the succession of royalty became - all too frequently. Also, it has a number of characters practicing witchcraft, and using it to achieve their ends. I find that part rather misguided - it seems to be based on accusations of witchcraft against these historical characters which were basically trumped up charges to try and get them executed. And lots of people get executed... or assassinated.... or killed in battle.

I don't know this part of medieval history particularly well - but now I'm getting interested in it. I've been reading about the various people involved (well... mostly on Wikipedia), and I finally picked up and have now read half of - The Black Arrow - which is set in that time (again, with historical adaptations).

Anyone watching? Any history buffs with something to add?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Never heard of the series, but being in Taiwan that's not surprising- we get everything late, or not at all e.g. Breaking Bad.

Just checked out the reviews quoted on Wiki:

Quote:
he New Statesman described it as "barely medieval", whilst Deborah Ross in The Daily Mail said it "bagged five stars of awfulness". She gave it both one star and also five, "because it possesses the sort of one-star awfulness that, if properly embraced, can transport you all the way to five-star joy."[22]

Gerard O'Donovan in The Telegraph objected to the prettified portrayal of 15th century England, "As a dramatisation of history it had serious failings, devoid as it was of any note of the hardship, chill and squalor of life in 15th-century England. Indeed, England itself was painfully absent as the entire series was shot in Belgium and looked exactly that dull and boring". However he praised the casting of the supporting characters, and the exciting "lust and vengeance" fueling the drama, "although not enough to make the prospect of nine more episodes of The White Queen exactly thrilling. But it was enough for me to hold out a flickering hope that it could yet develop into a more complex and satisfying drama."[23]

The Independent's Tom Sutcliffe found it "less historically plausible than Game of Thrones (despite being ostensibly true)", satirising the unconvincingly medieval decor that seemed to come from the "Kingdom of Ikea". He concluded that "I’m sure it will give innocent pleasure to many, but a lot of cod had to sacrifice their wallops to make it possible"[24] For Barbara Ellen in The Observer, "Characterisation, credible dialogue, a slight sense of the 15th century… everything seemed to be lopped away until all you were left with was a very long, strange Timotei advert, featuring fornication, shouting, horses, armour and what was left of the budget spent on three extras carrying hay...It was all a bit of a trudge. Edward went off to battle as if it were Sunday seven-a-side football. The sex scenes were so vanilla, I ended up fancying an ice cream. "[25]

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I know nothing about that series.

Is it based on a novel? I know a novel by that name, about that Queen - but I doubt that a series based on that novel could be that bad.

Unless based on was taken to its extremes, of course, which happens sometimes.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Valandil,

I have not seen the series, but I have seen the advertisements for the show. It is on a cable channel (starz IIRC). It looked interesting, but I did not care much for queen Elizabeth. (I think it was about that queen, but I am not sure.)

Regardless, I am not surprised that the show is using s/n card in the name of ratings. If the show was well written, it could survive without any cheap tricks for ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Has anyone watched any of this? I don't think I'll watch any more. Each episode they feel a need to show a certain amount of gratuitous sex and nudity. I have been drawn in by the history and characters though. It's set at the time of the War of the Roses (1455 to 1485 in England).

I read some reviews indicating that the history may not be that sound. I don't doubt it, just because that's how things often go in the realm of entertainment, where history is "adapted" as much as (or more than) any novel might be.

From what I've gathered, the main events of the history seem fairly right - I'm not sure if it's the details, or the settings that historical critics find so out of place. It certainly demonstrates how terrible the succession of royalty became - all too frequently. Also, it has a number of characters practicing witchcraft, and using it to achieve their ends. I find that part rather misguided - it seems to be based on accusations of witchcraft against these historical characters which were basically trumped up charges to try and get them executed. And lots of people get executed... or assassinated.... or killed in battle.

I don't know this part of medieval history particularly well - but now I'm getting interested in it. I've been reading about the various people involved (well... mostly on Wikipedia), and I finally picked up and have now read half of - The Black Arrow - which is set in that time (again, with historical adaptations).

Anyone watching? Any history buffs with something to add?

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote