Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2000, 04:09 AM   #1
IronParrot

Johan de Meij's "Lord of the Rings" symphony

Few people I know have heard this. I play in a band that's performing one of the movements. It's a real great work... very good representation of the themes it introduces pertaining to LOTR, even though there are only 5 movements: I. Gandalf - A suite of everything to do with Gandalf - the fireworks, Shadowfax, everything. II. Lothlorien - deals with the Mirror as well. III. Gollum - Fantastic portrayal of Gollum, like in Two Towers when he's still in the multiple-personality stage. IV. Mines of Moria/Bridge of Khazad-dum - Self-explanatory... Balrog and all. V. Hobbits - Grey Havens, basically... return of themes in I and II mostly. I'll comment on them individually later. Listen to them sometime if you haven't - these are great. Very hard to find though. There's only one recording I know of, by the Amsterdam Wind Orchestra or something. (This isn't for string orchestra, but rather for concert band + piano.)
Old 01-04-2000, 04:12 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: Johan de Meij's "Lord of the Rings" symphony

Oh wait... maybe I should have posted this on one of the other forums... oops.
Old 01-04-2000, 08:55 PM   #3
bmilder

:)

No, this forum is fine. I've never heard that piece before. Is there any way to listen online?
Old 01-05-2000, 01:03 AM   #4
Darth Tater

Re: :)

I've never heard it but it sounds very good. I'll try to find it.
Old 01-06-2000, 06:00 AM   #5
anduin

De Meij's symphony can be purchased at<a href= http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/er...890346-3718261> amazon.com</a>, if anyone is intested in owning the CD. The page also has short sound bytes that can be heard with realplayer.
Old 01-16-2000, 10:37 PM   #6
Aragorn son of Arathorn

I have both the score and a recording of the pieces. My favorite movements are the first and fourth (Gandalf's, and Moria's).
Old 01-20-2000, 01:00 AM   #7
IronParrot

Wow, you have the SCORE? Where did you get it from, Amazon.com or something?
Old 01-25-2000, 12:42 AM   #8
The One Ring

I have the score.... but only because as a pianist, composer, and amateur conductor, the conductor of my school band, who played the symphony (I played the piano part) gave me a copy. It's a great piece. I also have a recording of it.
Old 01-29-2000, 01:02 PM   #9
Baron Fel Yoda

No, Aragorn's mom is a band director and she's playing one of the pieces methinks.
Old 01-29-2000, 02:16 PM   #10
Hernalt

Can anyone give the year of its composition? Has it been around for several years, or was it composed recently (namely, after it was announced that LOTR would be filmed)?
Old 01-30-2000, 04:12 AM   #11
IronParrot

Re: ...

I'm pretty sure it's 1989.
Old 03-04-2000, 07:40 PM   #12
Toiletman

Re: ... I've got it in MP3

Hello everyone, I've got a couple of the de Meijj songs on mp3, indeed they're very beatiful... I'm sorting 'em out right now, I've got a couple double ones and half ones ya know (stupid napster). They're on my ftp, I'll post it here if I may and when I've got stuff sorted. This comes to another question I got, I've got mp3s of the Lord of the rings hearplay (don't know the English word) I've got episode 1 in full, a part of 2 and a part 3, but I want them all full, so does any1 have these??
Greets,
Coen

PS: if you want to make money surfing the web, mail me at toilet.man@usa.net
Old 03-04-2000, 08:24 PM   #13
Toiletman

Here's my ftp

Ok, I've sorted things out
I've got part I and V, that's Gandalf and Hobbits, I've got the first episode (1 hour) of the radio version of LOTR. For the rest there's some other Tolkien inspired songs and some unfinished files. You can download 'em here at my ftp:
IP: 212.187.13.135
Login: LOTR pass: tolkien
(port 21)
don't generate to much traffic!!
if anyone has the cd I'd be really happy if they'd rip it and upload the mp3s.

Greets,
Toiletman
PS if you want to make money surfing the web mail me at toilet.man@usa.net
Old 03-04-2000, 10:33 PM   #14
anduin

Re: Here's my ftp

Welcome Toiletman to Entmoot!

Where are you from? How did you find this board? Oh, BTW, I'm anduin.....nice to meet you.
Old 03-04-2000, 11:09 PM   #15
IronParrot

Re: Here's my ftp

Ooh... can't connect... I assume your server isn't up 24/7. Oh well, I'll just try every now and then...
Old 03-05-2000, 12:10 AM   #16
Toiletman

this is me :-)

Hello to ya all
I'm from Holland, I was looking for the radio versions of the book with a search engine but it didn't show anything so I searched for Lord of the Rings, and than I came across this messageboard. I figured using a messageboard would be a lot easier than trying to find it with a search engine.

I haven't even read LOTR but I read the hobbit and really liked it, I'm now reading The wheel of time series by Robert Jordan, I really enjoy reading fantasy.
btw I'm now downloading the Gollum song of de Meijj (or at least a part of it). My ftp is up 24/7 and I saw some connects in the server.. don't know what went wrong, I restarted it now so all should be well.

Greetz,
Toiletman
Old 03-05-2000, 12:13 AM   #17
Toiletman

Art

I've also got a lot of images from the tolkien calendar on my ftp from 1976 till 2000 or something... but I don't know how much traffic I'll get from this board so I'll wait posting that
Old 03-05-2000, 07:04 AM   #18
anduin

Re: Art

Hey, there is another member here from Holland......just can't remember off the top of my head who he/she is......I think they are new. I am going to Amsterdam for my honeymoon in June. Where in Holland are you from?
Old 03-05-2000, 07:09 AM   #19
Elanor

I lived iin Nijmegen for 2 years when I was 2 and 3. Unfortunately, I have no memories of it.
Old 03-05-2000, 11:46 AM   #20
Toiletman

Hehe, cool, I'm from Bennekom, that's nearer to Nijmegen than to Amsterdan, quite far off from Amsterdam though.