Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2000, 08:31 PM   #1
Darth Tater

I'm worried

I just read a review of the scripts and it has me worried. Sure, it was a review from when there were only two, but I'm still nervous. Don't quote me on this, but there's a great possibility that Lothlorien will be cut. Also, Arwen has a huge role and Eowyn completely replaces Eomer. The worst thing is the relationship between Legolas and Gimli is humorous, not the wonderful thing it is in the text. None of these things, at least from what I've read, look like they'll be changed for the 3 script version either. Gandalf was written as a bit of a wimp, but it looks like that will be somewhat fixed. Also, Boromirs roal is way to small, but that'll probably be better in the new scripts too. PJ seems willing to take up the time that he cut important stuff from with new stuff. He adds Saruman in where he never was before, and I just can't see this as a good thing. I'm hoping in the new scripts it's a little better, but right now my suggestion is not to keep your hopes up.
Old 01-18-2000, 01:18 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: I'm worried

I think I read that Eomer was not going to be replaced, and I'm sure that with the 3 movie script Lothlorien will remain.
Old 01-18-2000, 02:16 AM   #3
anduin

Where did you read this?
Old 01-18-2000, 02:55 AM   #4
Elanor

you know, I'm pretty sure that PJ will do his best to satisfy us Tolkien freaks, because he is one himself. I'm going to try to enjoy it in the moment without analyzing it, at least for the first few times. Can you ppl see my new pictures?
Old 01-18-2000, 02:57 AM   #5
bmilder

No, because Crosswinds is stupid and doesn't allow direct linking of images.
Old 01-18-2000, 03:33 AM   #6
Elanor

ok, but now you can, right?
Old 01-18-2000, 03:36 AM   #7
bmilder

Yes. Btw, I think you forgot to close a tag in your sig :P
Old 01-18-2000, 04:13 AM   #8
anduin

Sorry to go off topic..... Ooh, that is nice Elanor.....nice work
Old 01-18-2000, 01:41 PM   #9
Fat middle

yeah, nice Elanor BTW i think Tater is refering to a review in the ominous TOR.N :P I saw it was there but i havenĀ“t read it yet. Anyway, i think that the Lothlorien issue has been fixed for the 3 movies version cuz Cate Blanchet must live there "I hope so...yes...I guess..."
Old 01-18-2000, 02:26 PM   #10
Fat middle

here is a link
Old 01-18-2000, 10:47 PM   #11
Darth Tater

I was reffering to that, but I didn't want to link to it in case people didn't want the temptation of spoilers.
Old 02-02-2000, 06:40 AM   #12
Michael Martinez

Lothlorien will not be cut from the movies. You can pretty much count on the following changes to Tolkien's story: 1) No Tom Bombadil (Merry may not be involved in killing the lord of the Nazgul) 2) Arwen will have an expanded role (she'll at least take the place of Glorfindel on the road and there is a hint she may sneak into some sort of battle) 3) No Eomer (Eowyn becomes Queen of Rohan after Grima murders Theoden) 4) Eowyn kills Saruman I've discussed some of the aspects in various essays at Suite101.Com's Tolkien and Middle-earth topic [ <A HREF=http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/tolkien >http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/tolkien </A>]. We also share occasional rumors and information on Xenite.Org's message boards, although the White Council is more focused on "serious" discussion (I'm not sure of how to describe "serious" -- it's not like we sit around and refer to obscure footnotes in esoteric volumes of literary research or anything).
Old 02-02-2000, 09:24 PM   #13
galadriel1

First of all, No Lothlorien? Hardly! There are some important things and foreshadowings that happen there. The Lothlorien chapters are the most underappreciated chapters in the Trilogy. A lot goes on there that is so important to the story! Arwen in a greater role and a replacement for Glorfindel? Oh P.U. I never did like her character. She is not a terribly important character in the story and as far as I`m concerned, doesn`t relly need to be in the film much at all. Arwen in battle? Never! It`s just not in the character`s nature. Leave those scenes to Eowyn. No Eomer? Ludicrous! And Eowyn becoming Queen of Rohan? That`s just so far from the original story. The betrothal of Faramir and Eowyn in the trilogy is important as it unites the 2 lands/kingdoms. And how can they not have Merry be part of the slaying of the Lord of the Nazgul? It is Merry who delivers the stroke as the Lord of the Nazgul is ready to pounce on Eowyn, saving Eowyn from certain death and allowing her to strike her last deadly blow and finish off 'the Black Rider'. It`s one of the greatest moments of the Trilogy. How can they change it? That`s blasphemous! And if Eowyn kills Saruman, then there is no battle at the end. I think the Battle in the Shire is an important part of the story but I suppose they`ll just s**** all of that. I fear that so many important events are going to be left out. I suppose if there is no Bombadil, there will also be no barrowdowns and they`ll probably just s**** Weathertop also? These are important events in the story but will probably be left out. That is so often the problem with transferring a book to the screen. There just isn`t enough time for everything. I`m still very skeptical about the films. I hope these things are just rumors!
Old 02-02-2000, 11:24 PM   #14
Darth Tater

Barrowdowns are out, but they're keeping Weathertop. I know galadriel, it's sad and scary.
Old 02-02-2000, 11:44 PM   #15
Eruve

Unfortunately, Michael Martinez knows what he's talking about. I'd trust his word on it, even if you don't like what he's saying... Hi Michael!
Old 02-02-2000, 11:52 PM   #16
Michael Martinez

Hi, but let me toss in a disclaimer. I'm pretty sure of the points I've listed above but all that can change, believe it or not, either through revelations about erroneous information being passed around or through a production decision. Peter Jackson is keeping a tight lid on what the story development is like. A couple of people have been given inside information on condition they not reveal much, and a few people like me were contacted last year to answer some discrete questions. The questions themselves don't reveal anything about major plot lines (at least not the ones I was asked). Mostly I got a sense of the kind of WOW! factor the movies will have. Regardless of what changes are made to the storyline, people are going to come out of the theaters knowing they have seen a fantasy movie. The littlest details are being considered. No, the movies are not going to portray the story of the books. There's no way Jackson could have done that. But they will try to portray a world that fits with what the books say. Some of us will object to certain things (I, for example, feel Jackson's Middle-earth will appear to be too medieval -- but 40% of online Tolkien fans want that world to look as medieval as possible). But the movies will give life to Tolkien's characters and world in a way that the Bakshi and Rankin/Bass animated portrayals never could. I think people will come out of the movies saying you really CAN go to Middle-earth.
Old 02-03-2000, 12:48 AM   #17
Hernalt

I Don't Find This Unfortunate At All!!!!

I'm ecstatic that there's so much revolution! First off, you only live once: If you know a story, why not know two? Second: You only live once: Get all the spoilers you can!! Third, you only live once: Life is too short for dissatisfaction. (After it was all said and doen, TPM/Binx took like a minute or two off my life. But I gout betta.)
Old 02-03-2000, 06:33 PM   #18
Darth Tater

Re: I Don't Find This Unfortunate At All!!!!

Hernalt, that's strange to here from you, seeing as how you reacted to TPM. I just want to see what everyone thinks after they see it, I think we'll all think differently then we do now.
Old 02-03-2000, 09:33 PM   #19
Hernalt

In the scales of Time,

Binx does not add up to a Cesium second.