Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #41
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

yeah, I understand that he didn't have enough hatred to really torture someone, but the fact that he keeps trying makes me wonder, in HBP he repeatedly attempts to "crucify" Snape and fails because Snape is too powerful. I mean whats his deal does he think hes got a "get out of jail free card" or something. You will remember that Moody said using any one of the curses is a free ticket to Azkaban for life, and I quote.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #42
tomstheman
Enting

But bellatrix Lestrage tells harry in OOTP that in order for the Cruciatus curse to work a person has to really enjoy pain, and Harry really doesn't enjoy pain. She also tells him that righteous anger will not work. The only time Harry ever usues the Cruciatus curse is where someone really close to him dies.
Why is the latin word for fear of long words Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia? Yes it is i checked online.

Remember Remember the fifth of November
tomstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #43
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

hmm maybe
but its still kind of annoying.

DD: anger is the path to the darkside

HP: *shoots lighting at snape* you have chosen the way of PAIN!
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #44
tomstheman
Enting

yeah you're right, i just thought i'd add my two cents worth
Why is the latin word for fear of long words Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia? Yes it is i checked online.

Remember Remember the fifth of November
tomstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #45
Menelanna
Sapling

Firstly, I agree with whoever said that the Sorting Hat sees past all that the person has done or is going to do. What the sorting hat sees is what the person truely is. Like Neville (sp) is really brave, as he's shown in the books and movies. But ofcourse he is going to be alittle scared, because he didn't believe in himself enough to show his true bravery. On the topic of Percy (whom I have to say is the least of my favs of the Wesley family) he is brave, how else would he continue to stand his ground against his parents, even if it is rather stupid? I don't think its really possible to put someone into the wrong house, because no matter your decisions, or no matter your complexities, there is only one truth about you. I think the sorting hat can see deep down to the true person, and that is how it makes the decisions. But hey, what do I know? lol *shrugs*

As far as wormtail, I do hope that he decides to make good on his oweing Harry. I wouldn't be surprised if at the last minute he gives his life up to save Harry's. But we shall see.

Btw, I always knew that Snape was going to be the one to kill Dumbledore, and i cried when he died
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #46
inked
Elf Lord

What think we of Percy now? Of Snape? Of Harry Potter? NOw that Deathly Hallows is out and read?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #47
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Percy belongs in Gryffindor, and so does Snape.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #48
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

actually, i've read bok 7, and i think snape should have been in gryffindor, yes, but percy, i believe, belonged with slytherin. it doesn't matter what happened in deathly hallows- percy still sided against those who should've mettered most to him at the beginning of the whole affair; he chose power over family in the first place.

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #49
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I've read book 7 also. I think Percy made some bad choices and had his priorities wrong, but he realized it in the end. Once he got over himself he chose to go back to the good side. Deep down he was still the same Percy who valued decentcy and bravery.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #50
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ravyn
actually, i've read bok 7, and i think snape should have been in gryffindor, yes, but percy, i believe, belonged with slytherin. it doesn't matter what happened in deathly hallows- percy still sided against those who should've mettered most to him at the beginning of the whole affair; he chose power over family in the first place.

Ah, see I would beg to disagree.

In a way, it took more courage to admit that he was wrong later than to simply do the right thing from the start. Yes, he SHOULD have, and that also would have taken a great deal of bravery... but in the end he not only did the right thing, he had to admit that he had been wrong to do what he did.

I personally saw him as being a bit of a play off of Edmund from the Chronicles of Narnia. To a much lesser scale, he was the brother who went to the bad guys, and then repented and was forgiven.

See? Harry Potter is full of good Christian morals!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #51
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Ah, see I would beg to disagree.

In a way, it took more courage to admit that he was wrong later than to simply do the right thing from the start. Yes, he SHOULD have, and that also would have taken a great deal of bravery... but in the end he not only did the right thing, he had to admit that he had been wrong to do what he did.
I agree, and it also took courage to go against his family in the first place. Even though he turned out to have been wrong to trust the Ministry (and was then just being stubborn in HBP), it can't have been easy for him to continue supporting them when it meant estrangement from his whole family. Percy's brave even when he's wrong
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #52
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

true...
but just remember that whilst bravery is the key quality of a gryffindor, it doesn't mean other houses can't exhibit it... look at luna: she was braver, IMO, than some gryffindors were throughout the series

so i'll bend on the percy issue, but i still hold that snape should've been a gryffindor

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #53
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, just because you're in a different house from Gryffindor doesn't mean you can't be brave, or that only Ravenclaws can be smart.

I'm tempted to put Percy in Slytherin but.. I don't think he'd really seriously do much evil for his own gain. He's more just deluded. Neville is extremely brave. He's a little clumsy so he doesn't have confident- think about it, him acting as he does is even more extraordinary considering that he might not be as strong or clever as others (though I think he has it in him, deep down). It's easy to be brave if you're strong and don't have much to worry about. Hermione is fine in Gryffindor I think.

I think Snape might've turned out a lot different if he was put in Gryffindor. He certainly is quite brave, and he's really not a bad guy. I tend to think that his environment had a lot to do with his decisions. His parents, being in Slytherin. He might have made better friends and not been a death eater if he wasn't put in Slytherin.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #54
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
Elven Warrior

But then you have to think, if Snape was in Gryffindor, how would his mother have reacted? I think it might have almost been worse for him to be in Gryffindor just because it would have screwed up his fmaily even more.
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #55
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh yeah, having been on my own for a couple years now I forget about that whole going home for summer break thing... I don't really remember what kind of person the mother was, except that she was a witch.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #56
Star
Hobbit

okay since everyone is talking about Dumbledore's death.......

Why?! Why did serious die! Nooooo!!!!!!
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #57
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
Oh yeah, having been on my own for a couple years now I forget about that whole going home for summer break thing... I don't really remember what kind of person the mother was, except that she was a witch.
Well, we never really learn much about Sev's home life...except that it was bad, his father didn't approve of magic, and his parents fought a lot.
It almost seems like Snape's mom took her anger at Snape's father out on Snape. So, if she was that kind of person, then we can assume that she would have been even more horrible to her son, which would have probably alienated him from Lily even more. Or, in an attempt to appease her he still would have become a death eater. OH! Maybe the entire reason why he became a death eater in the first place was because he had some sort of warped preconcived notion of muggles based on his father and Petunia. Let's face it, Petunia may not have had magical powers, but she was one of the biggest witches in the book. So, maybe it wouldn't have mattered what house he was placed in.
I don't know...that's just a loose guess.
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #58
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't know if there's really anything to say that his mother would've been any more happy about Slytherin than Gryddindor anyway, especially if she married a muggle. And if she was mean about it, I don't know how that would make him alienated from Lily- it could make him more alienated from the family and closer with Lily, if anything. Also I don't know how he felt about muggles but he sure doesn't seem to mind muggle-borns.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #59
Elven Warrior

Hm, you've got me there. I don't know though, something about the way she was described in the HBP just made think of her that way.

I wonder if it wasn't a bit like Tom Riddle and Voldie's mom (what was her name again?). Being pure blooded but falling in love with a muggle anyway sort of thing.