Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Wrong House?

Was Percy put into the wrong house? He is described many times as ambitious. He seems kind of Slytherin-like to me, especially after the fifth book. And Hermione seems a little like a Ravenclaw to me, she cetainly values intelligence. But then she does say in the first book that she values bravery more. And Neville seems kind of Hufflepuffish too. So if it's your choices and values that decide where you go more than your skills, does that solve Why is Percy in Gryffindor?? Is he still good?

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!

Last edited by tolkienfan : 11-02-2005 at 01:42 PM.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I don't think the Sorting Hat has ever made a mistake. Neville has come a long way since we first met him, even go so far as to help fight Death Eaters. I also think that Percy will have a moment of redemption in the last book.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I hope so, because I used to like Percy until the fifth book.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

let me put it this way, does the hat choose the person based on what he will do, or will the person act according to the house he was in??? that's something to think about when you get these "on the edge" isues, yes neville is a very very hard worker, but was he predestined to fight death eaters, or does he only do it because he says "if the sorting hat puts me in gryfindor it must be because I'm brave"???
Lord Choc Obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i too hope percy will come back, just so the clan weasly will be complete, i really don't like the weasel that much...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Choc Obo
let me put it this way, does the hat choose the person based on what he will do, or will the person act according to the house he was in??? that's something to think about when you get these "on the edge" isues, yes neville is a very very hard worker, but was he predestined to fight death eaters, or does he only do it because he says "if the sorting hat puts me in gryfindor it must be because I'm brave"???
Well, Dumbledore said that it's your choices that matter, and that's why Harry didn't go to Slytherin right?

Old 11-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
Well, Dumbledore said that it's your choices that matter, and that's why Harry didn't go to Slytherin right?
kinda my point
Old 11-03-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
inked
Elf Lord

Choices matter ultimately! Percy has made rather a string of bad ones. There is however a reasonable chance that he will make better ones when push comes to shove. Or not! That's the problems with choices. They really count, even when there are extenuating circumstances - a la Voldemort's and Harry's childhoods, Ron and Percy's upbringing, etc.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i for one am sick of his pride....or maybe i just like fred and mr. weasly too much....
----------------
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I sort of got the idea when I was reading that a person's house was based on the essence of that person. So Percy, Harry, Hermione, and Neville are all Gryffindor at their core, even though they possess qualities that resemble Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff. So Harry chooses to be in Gryffindor because that's what he is at heart (or vice versa). Percy may have been much more Gryffindorish when he was younger (we never see him before his 5th year), but his ambition and pompousness sort of mask it.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes they do, yes they do....[glares at percy]....[realizes that percy itsn't real and is glaring at wall]....[cries]
----------------
Old 11-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Was Percy put into the wrong house? He is described many times as ambitious. He seems kind of Slytherin-like to me, especially after the fifth book. And Hermione seems a little like a Ravenclaw to me, she cetainly values intelligence. But then she does say in the first book that she values bravery more. And Neville seems kind of Hufflepuffish too. So if it's your choices and values that decide where you go more than your skills, does that solve Why is Percy in Gryffindor?? Is he still good?
no no hes too stuck up to be in slitherin but the slitherins think that the weasleys are blood traitors and stuff no the would kill him if he was in slitherins but along those lines he is pretty snobby and ambitious...

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
harry didnt go to slitherin because he had too much bravery and courage and he also said to the hat that he didnt want to go into slitherin and plus everyone hates him in slitherin so what would be the point of him going into slitherin if they want to kill and do revenge on harry?

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 11-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #14
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

What about Wormtail? Was he different when he was younger?

Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #15
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What about Wormtail? Was he different when he was younger?
wormtail..hmmm...he was as needy and as cowardly as when he was younger....wasnt he supposed to be really skinny in the movie as he was in the book? i dont think he was really different when he was younger...he was a sneak, snitch, needy, whinned alot and was in company of those stronger and those he could look up to. i didn't like that character at all did you? if i had him for a friend...i would feel sorry for him but be annoyed because he bugs people alot but what do you think of wormtail???

Old 11-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #16
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I think he was a tag-along, and just did what the other Marauders did, but I don't think he whined a lot or was openly dishonest. His friends trusted him, but they also overlooked him. I think he was just the quiet kid who was always there but never drew attention to himself. I know from experience how frustrating it is when you're on the outskirts of a social circle and everyone ignores you. They might enjoy having you there as an audience (like James showing off with his stolen Snitch), and the nicer ones might occasionally go out of their way to include you (they did include him in their "club" and help him become an Animagus), but over time a lot of resentment can build up.

I think Peter started out as a quiet, but normal kid with a troublemaking streak and enough courage (in his own way) to get him into Gryffindor. Or did he just lack the traits of the other houses? And maybe his family had been Gryffindors, so the Hat reacted to his desire to please them. I think his main flaw was his moral weakness, and willingness to give in to whoever exerted the most pressure on him. How many people make bad choices, even commit crimes because of peer pressure or intimidation?

He didn't want to control people, which would certainly have mad him a Slytherin, but he did want to be the crony of someone powerful who could control others. At some point (After Hogwarts, I think), some Death Eater(s) approached him, knowing that he was in the Order of the Phoenix, and intimidated him enough to make him believe that Voldemort was going to win. So he changed sides and fed the Death Eaters information, and betrayed James and Lily. He's certainly not stupid, as we can see from how well he framed Sirius and hid as Scabbers. Percy and then Ron became his strong "protectors". Wormtail knew that he could never gain forgiveness if he revealed himself, so he did everything he could to bring back Voldemort. It's a sad tale.

I think there might still be some good in Wormtail, if he can just find that hidden courage inside himself enough to defy Voldemort. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #17
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes, i definatly think that wormtail will come back, remember now, he still has a debt to harry...
----------------
Old 11-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #18
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
I think he was a tag-along, and just did what the other Marauders did, but I don't think he whined a lot or was openly dishonest. His friends trusted him, but they also overlooked him. I think he was just the quiet kid who was always there but never drew attention to himself. I know from experience how frustrating it is when you're on the outskirts of a social circle and everyone ignores you. They might enjoy having you there as an audience (like James showing off with his stolen Snitch), and the nicer ones might occasionally go out of their way to include you (they did include him in their "club" and help him become an Animagus), but over time a lot of resentment can build up.

I think Peter started out as a quiet, but normal kid with a troublemaking streak and enough courage (in his own way) to get him into Gryffindor. Or did he just lack the traits of the other houses? And maybe his family had been Gryffindors, so the Hat reacted to his desire to please them. I think his main flaw was his moral weakness, and willingness to give in to whoever exerted the most pressure on him. How many people make bad choices, even commit crimes because of peer pressure or intimidation?

He didn't want to control people, which would certainly have mad him a Slytherin, but he did want to be the crony of someone powerful who could control others. At some point (After Hogwarts, I think), some Death Eater(s) approached him, knowing that he was in the Order of the Phoenix, and intimidated him enough to make him believe that Voldemort was going to win. So he changed sides and fed the Death Eaters information, and betrayed James and Lily. He's certainly not stupid, as we can see from how well he framed Sirius and hid as Scabbers. Percy and then Ron became his strong "protectors". Wormtail knew that he could never gain forgiveness if he revealed himself, so he did everything he could to bring back Voldemort. It's a sad tale.

I think there might still be some good in Wormtail, if he can just find that hidden courage inside himself enough to defy Voldemort. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...
I think those are some very good points. I guess he is a bit daring...

Old 11-11-2005, 05:41 AM   #19
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

maybe the fact that he will stand up to voldy in the end is what got him in gryf
Old 11-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #20
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
yes, i definatly think that wormtail will come back, remember now, he still has a debt to harry...
yes wormtail does owe harry for saving his life and then he escaped in book three