Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-25-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Was Saruman a Ring-bearer?

While scanning pages, I noticed something I didn't remember from before. At the Council of Elrond, when Gandalf is recounting his last 'meeting' with Saruman, he tells how Saruman came down the stair to meet him. At the end of that paragraph, he says; "He wore a ring on his finger."

Now... why does Gandalf mention this? Why does Tolkien mention it? Was this some kind of 'Ring of Power'? Here are some possibilities that come to mind:

* Had Saruman attempted to make Rings of Power himself (or at least one?)?
* Did Sauron give Saruman a Ring... maybe one of the Nine? One of the Seven? Did it aid in controlling the orcs and doing some of the other works Saruman did at Orthanc?
* Was it a 'lesser ring'? An 'Elven Ring' or magic ring of some kind that wasn't one of the 'Twenty'?

OR...

* Was Saruman secretly engaged or married?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Way to attempt to resurrect some actual JRRT-oriented discussion, Val

IIRC, he took the name "ring-maker" to himself, so I guess the first option is definitely true.

I've often wondered about the "lesser rings", the "essays in the craft" but "still dangerous to mortal hands " (according to Gandalf in FOTR). There's a strong implication that Saruman may have discovered some of the secrets of their making.

What would they do, these rings? Give you power of Command over woodlice? Make you invisible to hedghogs? Maybe some of the early models worked in reverse, so if you put it on it made everyone else invisible. I know some people who drive like that.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Saruman had indeed attempted to make a Ring of his own, that is why he called himself "Saruman the ring-maker".

The Encyclopedia of Arda says:
Quote:
Saruman set a trap for Gandalf, using the Wizard Radagast to lure him to Orthanc. When Gandalf came, Saruman revealed that he had made a Ring of his own, and that he was no longer Saruman the White, but claimed the title Saruman of Many Colours
What powers the Ring held aren't clear. Does anyone know?

[edit] Cross posting with the Gaffer.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 05-25-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

He was originally a Maia spirit named Curumo in the service of Aulë the Smith. I'm sure he was skilled in craft. I do think Saruman tried to make his own ring of power, but perhaps found his skill far inferior to the Elves of Eregion.

Also when Gandalf describes his robes to the company, he says they "shimmered so that the eye was bewildered." He seems to suggest that he was somewhat entranced by Saruman's appearance. Perhaps the ring gave him some hypnotic power of persuasion, like his voice?

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 05-25-2004 at 01:18 PM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

It's also possible the ring Saruman wore was one he had found or stolen elsewhere. In UT, when King Elassar checks out Orthanc:
"Then all the secrets of the tower were searched. many things of worth were found, jewels and heirlooms of Eorl...and other such things, more ancient and beautiful, from mounds and tombs far and wide. saruman in his degradation had become not a dragon but a jackdaw. At last behind a hidden door that could not have been found or opened had not Elassar had the aid of Gimli the Dwarf a steel closet was revealed...In a casket on a high shelf two things were laid. One was a small case of gold, attached to a fine chain; it was empty, and bore no letter or token, but beyond all doubt it had once borne the Ring about Isildur's neck. Next to it lay a treasure without price, long mourned as lost for ever: the..." (oh, I guess you can read the rest for yourselves)

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 05-26-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #6
Olmer
Elf Lord

As far as I know, there is only plausible reference to Saruman's ring is in the FOTR "Foreword":'Saruman, failing to get
possession of the Ring, would in the confusion and treacheries of the time have found in Mordor the missing links in his own researches into Ring-lore, and before long he would have made a Great Ring of his own with which to challenge the self-styled Ruler of Middle-earth.'
~JRRT
Knowin his dedication to the lore of the Rings of Power, I think that he came closer to uncover the secret of ring-making, so one could assume that it was made by him in vain attempt to to recapture the abilities of the Great Rings.

But if it so , I have another thought , or rather speculation.
As we know, Saruman is Maya, just like Sauron.
Sauron was quite unpopular among Valar, kind like a black sheep, which was always causing troubles,but nevertheless on numerous time, even if his body was totally destroyed, he was not cast out in the Void, his spirit endured and was allowed to come back.
So, considering that Saruman is even the lesser evil, will it be reasonable to assume that he lost only his bodily form, his "shell", but his soul, just like Sauron's, went into hiding and recuperating?
Then, if we will take in account the fact that he, indeed, made a Power Ring of his own with maybe lesser abilities then The One Ring, we might say that as time goes by (like in 20 or 21 century? )Saruman has very great chances to take a visible shape again and became a powerfull evil figure ?

As I see Tolkien already hinted on such possibility.
What do you think about this one?
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Valandil

Theoden

Now THAT is an interesting concept... and might have made a worthy story of Fourth Age Middle-earth! The Return of Saruman... I LIKE it!

Protagonists could be Men led by Eldarion and great-grandson of Eomer, Dwarves - either of Erebor or those who had returned (wanted to return? maybe this story involves driving out the Balrog?) to Moria and Elves of Forest of Greenleaves.

Maybe Saruman's spirit finds one of the Blue Istari still alive and dominates him - taking him as an 'ally' - gathering again forces from the east - or maybe corrupting some who would otherwise be taken as allies of the good guys...

Possibilities...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 05-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
This is a fascinating thread. The speculations are wonderful. I wish I could contribute something intelligent to the discussion, but, alas, I cannot. So I will just enjoy the banter. Thanks for making me think and imagine, folks!!!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 AM   #9
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The difference, though, between Sauron and Saruman is that Saruman was an from the Istari, meaning, without full powers, and I don't tihnk he could shapeshift. While Sauron was in full powers before he made the Ring, and could shapeshift until Numenor destruction. And then, when he was 'destroyed', and Ring was still out there, and so he lived.
I don't think Saruman could come back, unless the Valar/Iluvatar, whoever made Gandalf return wants to.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:44 AM   #10
Valandil

Theoden

SPLASH!

Raddy throws cold water on all our fun ideas!

OK then, I guess Radagast has to become the evil Istari of the Fourth Age epic story we want to write.

I know... after Saruman goes 'poof' - a little birdy carries his 'not-quite-up-to-snuff' ring back to Radagast, who uses it to rally the black squirrels of what he still calls Mirkwood against the onrushing Elven forces from Lorien as well as those from Thrainduil to the north!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-26-2004, 11:01 AM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
SPLASH!

Raddy throws cold water on all our fun ideas!

OK then, I guess Radagast has to become the evil Istari of the Fourth Age epic story we want to write.

I know... after Saruman goes 'poof' - a little birdy carries his 'not-quite-up-to-snuff' ring back to Radagast, who uses it to rally the black squirrels of what he still calls Mirkwood against the onrushing Elven forces from Lorien as well as those from Thrainduil to the north!
Sure, blame me for all of your flawed ideas.

I must say you're very creative. I'd never think of me as evil, I don't have the skill nor the right laugh to be evil...

I don't think there will be another evil lord in the Fourth age, the only evils then are the men themselves.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #12
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
The difference, though, between Sauron and Saruman is that Saruman was an from the Istari, meaning, without full powers, and I don't tihnk he could shapeshift. While Sauron was in full powers before he made the Ring, and could shapeshift until Numenor destruction. And then, when he was 'destroyed', and Ring was still out there, and so he lived.
I don't think Saruman could come back, unless the Valar/Iluvatar, whoever made Gandalf return wants to.
He couldn't come back if he would leave Middle-earth. But he didn't. He was diminished to mere nothingness, but was not annihiliated, because as a lesser Ainur he has undestructable spirit form. He was shooed away from the home, but as spirit he continue to exist .

Last edited by Olmer : 05-26-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
It's also possible the ring Saruman wore was one he had found or stolen elsewhere. In UT, when King Elassar checks out Orthanc:
"Then all the secrets of the tower were searched. many things of worth were found, jewels and heirlooms of Eorl...and other such things, more ancient and beautiful, from mounds and tombs far and wide. saruman in his degradation had become not a dragon but a jackdaw. At last behind a hidden door that could not have been found or opened had not Elassar had the aid of Gimli the Dwarf a steel closet was revealed...In a casket on a high shelf two things were laid. One was a small case of gold, attached to a fine chain; it was empty, and bore no letter or token, but beyond all doubt it had once borne the Ring about Isildur's neck. Next to it lay a treasure without price, long mourned as lost for ever: the..." (oh, I guess you can read the rest for yourselves)
That was such a cool little gem to find in UT! Really shows Saruman for the petty sleezeball he really was.

I think the ring was one he made, the little ring-bearer wannabe!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-26-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Olmer
He couldn't come back if he would leave Middle-earth. But he didn't. He was diminished to mere nothingness, but was not annihiliated, because as a lesser Ainur he has undestructable spirit form. He was shooed away from the home, but as spirit he continue to exist .
I don't understand, to tell you the truth... Who are you talking about? Saruman? Why was his spirit undesrtuctable?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:31 AM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I think the ring was one he made, the little ring-bearer wannabe!
I agree with this as he called himself, 'Saruman the Ring-Maker'
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:25 AM   #16
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor of Gondolin

Where in the Unfinished Tales is this!? I can't find it, sure you have the right book!?

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #17
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
Where in the Unfinished Tales is this!? I can't find it, sure you have the right book!?
I think it's in the end of 'Cirion and Eorl'.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #18
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
Nope, it's in "THe Hunt for the Ring."
Old 08-17-2004, 09:12 AM   #19
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
Nope, it's in "THe Hunt for the Ring."
Oh. I wasn't sure, I don't have UT and it's been some time since I read it. (yeah, *excuses*)
Old 08-20-2004, 06:47 AM   #20
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

I think Saruman was just misunderstood as I have said about Morgoth and Sauron. He just wanted to know a littl emore about the rings so the other members of the council labeled him as a wierdo and then eventually he started listening to Sauron who was telling him that he had the right to do what he wanted like any good person should. Then when he joined Sauron Gandalf and the rest were shocked and fought him. Why? because Gandalf and the WHite COuncil had sticks up their *** and were to used to traditional ideas o fgood and evil. Poor Saruman.