Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2000, 02:25 PM   #1
John309

Can't miss...

Forthcoming LOTR trilogy will be a huge hit in UK, USA, and across the world. The story is already firmly ingrained in worldwide pop culture giving it a pre-existing fan base of great magnitude as this website and the countless others like it attest. A serious attempt to portray Tolkien's boundless imagination on film using today's special effects is a "can't miss" proposition. The strides taken by CGI and the like lends itself to fantastic opportunities within the story. I can't wait...Must go now and buy more stock!!
Old 02-11-2000, 10:41 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: Can't miss...

Although many fans WILL veiw the movie, wether they go back again to see it will depend on if it's good or not, and that's really what will make the money, second veiwings.
Old 02-12-2000, 12:01 AM   #3
Hernalt

I saw TPM 15 times and DOTF 25 times. Should FOTR prove more palatable in many ways than TPM (and I trust that it will), then I'll shell out the silverscreen green. ~H wonders if he should be embarrassed or not~
Old 02-12-2000, 12:47 AM   #4
bmilder

Re: Can't miss...

Welcome to the board John Hernalt, are you telling us you sneaked into the movie if you saw DotF by itself??
Old 02-12-2000, 12:51 AM   #5
John309

That is just it...there really is no way it won't be good. I expect it to meet all visual requirements of even the most ardent fan judging from location pics and still of Aragorn/Arwen on bridge. The big plus in all this is what they will be able to do with the special effects. They have a chance here for cinematic greatness. The orc horde besieging the Companions at Helm' Deep won't be 50 spear-carrying extras tripping over one another with a few close-ups of ugly faces snarling. It will be an army of armored monsters hell bent on destruction. The story is so visual. There are many great opportunities for breathtaking special effects, I doubt they will be squandered.
Old 02-12-2000, 01:04 AM   #6
John309

Dilemma concerning Nazgul

Oh..hello and thanks for the welcome Ben. I think your site is great! I did have one more post though concerning the special effects that I am so excited about. How in the world are they gonna get the Eowyn vs. Winged Nazgul scene? I watch all the Hercules computer generated effects but I don't think I have ever seen someone RIDING a computer generated image...Also wondering what others think will be toughest special effect to produce or scene to film in the movies?
Old 02-12-2000, 05:21 AM   #7
IronParrot

Re: Dilemma concerning Nazgul

That's something I've wondered myself. I was going to say something else here, but I think it's worthy of a thread by itself...
Old 02-15-2000, 06:47 PM   #8
John309

...I'm off the beach...I'm buying stock!!
Old 02-16-2000, 10:15 AM   #9
Michael Martinez

It's not a problem to show someone riding a computer generated image. Hercules and Xena have both done so, but so did people in "The Phantom Menace" (btw -- would someone mind explaining what "DotF" means? -- it sounds like "Daughter of the Federation", STAR TREK XII, the relapse of Khan or something). Anyway, remember the scene in the hangar or garage on Tatooine where Qui-Gon, Shmi, Padme, and Anakin show up on two camel-like creatures? The actors were really filmed on blue cushions mounted on rectangular, box-like frames with wheels. The CGI images of the animals were superimposed later.
Old 02-16-2000, 02:27 PM   #10
Hernalt

Martinez, I would say to count it a blessing that you didn't hang around on TheForce.Net long enough or at all to know what DOTF means. It means Duel of the Fates, which was the name of the score piece by John Williams which took up the last, climactic, most excellent half hour, from the moment the hanger doors slide open to reveal Mr. Maul.
Old 02-16-2000, 10:37 PM   #11
The One Ring

Re: ...

Then I presume you saw the music video 10 times in addition to your 15 viewings of TPM. Well, you beat me. Only 5 TPM's, and 8 DotF's.
Old 02-17-2000, 02:50 AM   #12
anduin

So, none of you watched TMP and then sneaked into the other theatre that was also playing TMP just to watch DoTF? Come on, that was like icing on the cake
Old 02-17-2000, 03:31 AM   #13
bmilder

TMP?? Is that the French version? (The Menace Phantome or something )
Old 02-17-2000, 05:06 AM   #14
anduin

LOL....you better pray you never make a typo Ben......
Old 02-17-2000, 01:07 PM   #15
Hernalt

Ben, that was darn funny. La Menace Phantomé

Wait, that would make LMP...
Old 02-18-2000, 01:29 AM   #16
IronParrot

Actually, the French word for "Phantom" begins with an F. (I would know this, I'm Canadian)
Old 02-18-2000, 09:36 AM   #17
Fat middle

Re:

It seems we´re nearing to Mount Doom: The One Ring is growing...

uuuh, i can´t bear it! |I
Old 02-18-2000, 01:40 PM   #18
Hernalt

Pretty soon it's gonna fall out of that little picture and drop on our toes!
Old 02-18-2000, 10:33 PM   #19
Darth Tater

Ok, there are many great opertunities for good visuals, but without the story, acting, and character relationships it will just stink. I think an example of this can be explained in one word: Willow.