Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Game - Nuclear Chess

Nuclear Chess: Has anyone ever tried this - or even heard of it?

My older brother learned it some years ago - he thinks from the guy who invented it. He explained it to me back then, but I was never interested in playing it. Well... now my oldest son is playing chess, and since his uncle came a few times and started playing "Nuclear Chess" with him - he's gotten me to try it with him. It's really an interesting variation.

Here's what you do: All the pieces move as in normal chess. However - at any capture, BOTH pieces involved stay on the board, frozen in that square. That square becomes a "Nuclear Disaster" and no other piece can land on it (or cross over it, except for a knight in his normal movement) for the rest of the game. ALSO - all pieces within one square at the time of the capture are removed from the board for the rest of the game.

It changes the game pretty drastically. One thing you have to watch - an attack on any piece within one square of a king, places the king "in check" - so you have to say "check".

Anyone played it? Anyone interested enough to try it? There are several of you who I think would get into it. If you try it (or have played), post back here and let me know.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Nice! I like this variation! Any chance we could get like a play-by-post game going here? Using algebraic notation, it should be easy.

I really like the new strategy it induces, with the pawns colliding in the center of the board and everything else. But I've got a little question...when a capture takes place, does the "nuclear wipeout" that removes pieces from the board also remove "frozen" pieces?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Valandil

No - I should have said "all active pieces". And when I said "frozen" - those pieces are effectively out of the game - they simply stay on the board to block out that square.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I've been playing 'atomic' chess with Bish on www.itsyourturn.com

Join up and challenge me to a game Val!

(i am somewhat tardy about making moves tho' )

Best, BB

*edit* i have not checked- but they may well have that variation - if not if you suggest it i am pretty sure they might well add it.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 04-01-2007 at 06:29 AM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Valandil

So it's not the same thing? How does "Atomic" Chess work?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

just checked ... not the same at all - you nominate one piece as atomic and on your go you can detonate it ...destroying friend and hopefullly foe on all sqaures within one square radius.

I haven't checked if they do nuclear - but if they don't i'm sure they would ...

anyhow - fancy a slow-burner game across the atlantic?

(i tend to make about maybe 10 moves a month)

best, BB

P.S. - the nuclear variation sounds intriguing - a complete new mind / strategy board!)
Old 04-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
Valandil

Only if I don't have to keep a designated board set up for it here - so if we can do it graphically in a way that shows the entire board with each move.

With my kids - there's just no way I could set up a board for that and have any hope it would last.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

no it is shown graphically on the screen - with previous moves ... (and messages! )

..me and Bish in a very slow way have built quite a dramatic saga out of the 'message with this move' function - ... I can't speak for Bish - but i have enjoyed it immensley and am rather proud of our joint short!

.. the slow chess - we play three variations currently - is of course is a good game and a nice distraction and very sociable.

Best, BB
Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Both versions sound kind of cool, So curub do we need a chess thread for posting moves?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote