Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Correct Tengwar?

I found this site, and wondered if some expert here could tell if the script there is correct? http://tengwarscribe.com/
Old 11-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Galin
Elven Warrior

Since this person only offers transcribed English, you could compare it to the English section of Amanye Tenceli.

http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_general_english.htm

Mans owns one of the better Tengwar sites on the web (that I know of). He's done his homework, that much I know, and sources prime texts right on the website (by linking to The Mellonath Daeron Index of Tengwa Specimina). I dabble a bit in transcribing names or words from Elvish Languages (not usually English), but I'm not an expert myself.

Tolkien's books are best, that way one can see what the websites are based on (and if you're interested in writing English, there's also a number of examples from both JRR Tolkien and Christopher Tolkien).
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Noble Elf Lord

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The site that Galin linked to is my favorite. As far as the site you listed, it looks like it's pretty good, but they put the vowel marks over the preceding consonant, and I put them over the following consonant. Tolkien did it both ways, but IMO, the way I do it is the more standard for English mode - Tolkien seemed to do it that way more often.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

We had a great Tengwar discussion going a while back - it started here and went on to a second thread. I bumped both for your info

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
The site that Galin linked to is my favorite. As far as the site you listed, it looks like it's pretty good, but they put the vowel marks over the preceding consonant, and I put them over the following consonant. Tolkien did it both ways, but IMO, the way I do it is the more standard for English mode - Tolkien seemed to do it that way more often.
One way is the Sindarin mode, the other is the Quenya mode, so both are correct, if I recall correctly. But I don't remember which was which, it's been too long since I dappled in Tengwar.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Rían

Yes, both are fine and he used both, as I said, but he seemed to do it over the following consonant more often. The other way is the way for Quenya, but I don't remember if the alternate way is for SIndarin or not ...

I like how it reads better using the following consonant mode - you go right to left, up to down (i.e., read the vowel mark first on the top then read down to the consonant). The other way (the Quenya way) goes right to left, down to up (i.e., read the consonant first then read up to the vowel mark).

Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Galin
Elven Warrior

The general 'rule' appears to be that for a language in which many words end in a vowel, like Quenya, the vowel mark is placed above the preceding consonant (eliminating the need for a final carrier at least).

When writing Sindarin one can use a full mode where the vowels can be full letters or 'tengwar', as seen on the Door to Moria, or a mode that employs tehtar, as in one of the King's Letters for example (published in The History of Middle-Earth).

For languages such as Sindarin, in which many words end in a consonant, the vowel mark was placed above the following consonant (when using a mode that employed tehtar of course).

I would stress the 'general rule' as noted in Appendix E, as Tolkien himself did not follow this in all examples.

Last edited by Galin : 11-17-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
Noble Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
We had a great Tengwar discussion going a while back - it started here and went on to a second thread. I bumped both for your info
Thank you!