Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Even when the WRITER first came to this point, he knew nothing about a Palantir - that appeared later
Aha! That's something to consider.

Quote:
I agree. He would watch in the Palantir as long as that was the only way to see them - and as soon as they were approaching the range of his eyesight, he would go out and see the real thing ...
That is exactly as i see it!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I agree with Varnafinde that, sure, he would have kept an eye on the Elven Army as it was mustering and marching, but also agree that it would just be human nature to go to the top of the tower and see "the splendor of their banners" with his naked eye.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

He shouldn't have to go very far. The Palantir was likely at the top of the tower as well.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
He shouldn't have to go very far. The Palantir was likely at the top of the tower as well.
But not on the open roof near the paraphet to be seen from below.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
Attalus

Yes, that causes a pleasing mental picture of Elendil saying to himself, "Yes! They are coming over the next rise. I shall climb up the stairs, three at a time, and see the splendor of their banners!"
Old 06-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Yeah, most likely it was embroidering these splendid banners that took the Elves so long.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #27
Attalus

Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
Yeah, most likely it was embroidering these splendid banners that took the Elves so long.
Hey, maybe Galadriel and her maidens wove the stuff they made them out of.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #28
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
Yes, that causes a pleasing mental picture of Elendil saying to himself, "Yes! They are coming over the next rise. I shall climb up the stairs, three at a time, and see the splendor of their banners!"
Awww! That's adorable!

And very... cinematic... Now, why doesn't someone make a film about the Last Alliance?

(Of course, if they did a poor job with it, i'd probably cry for the rest of my life. )
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
Awww! That's adorable!

And very... cinematic... Now, why doesn't someone make a film about the Last Alliance?

(Of course, if they did a poor job with it, i'd probably cry for the rest of my life. )
I'd watch it, and so would everyone here, but Christopher Tolkien is being a spoilsport about th whole thing.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #30
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Now, who in the world would watch a good football game on television when he could go himself and have the best seat in the stadium to see it with his own eyes? What great leader would closet himself to mind the computer screens when he could stand before all his troops, allies, and really be a leader? And what man can truly call himself a leader when he closets himself with computer and television screens when he should stand forth instead?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Now, who in the world would watch a good football game on television when he could go himself and have the best seat in the stadium to see it with his own eyes? What great leader would closet himself to mind the computer screens when he could stand before all his troops, allies, and really be a leader? And what man can truly call himself a leader when he closets himself with computer and television screens when he should stand forth instead?
Indeed! I like the way you think!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #32
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
I'd watch it, and so would everyone here, but Christopher Tolkien is being a spoilsport about th whole thing.
No, no. If I were C. T., and I saw what Hollywood did to JRRT's LotR, I'd fight to the death to keep them from mutiliating anything else.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #33
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee View Post
No, no. If I were C. T., and I saw what Hollywood did to JRRT's LotR, I'd fight to the death to keep them from mutiliating anything else.
*shrugs* The movies are imperfect, as are all mortal things, but I'd sure rather have them than not have them. Besides, the story line is more compact, has fewer main characters, and has a manageble story arc.

Last edited by Attalus : 09-24-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #34
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
In "A Knife in the Dark", as they approach Weathertop, Merry remarks on a path they've found, that it looks 'barrow-wightish' and asks Aragorn if there was a barrow on Weathertop.

Getting old, like me, Aragorn answers the question with a story. It ends like this:

From Appendix B, in the Second Age:

Now, when I first read this passage, and even on subsequent re-readings, I always envisioned this guy (whom I learned more about later), as just standing at the parapet of this high tower, looking westward over the ramparts, watching for an army coming down the road.

But it only occurred to me the other day (how embarrassing) - that Elendil probably wasn't doing that.

He had a palantir on Amon Sul!

So - whether he stood, as Aragorn said, or actually sat, I suppose he watched for Gil-galad's army through his special "looking glass" rather than with the bare eye.

If it matters to anyone.

But it does show me how we can get an image in our minds when we read something, and still cling to that initial image even as we gather more information.
I'm sure he stood until his feet got tired, than sat. As for using the Palantiri, I think it would have given him an idea as to what was happening and a rough guestimate of Gil-galad's arrival, but doubt it was used in every little detail like a video-telephone.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #35
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
And what man can truly call himself a leader when he closets himself with computer and television screens when he should stand forth instead?
That would be me in my Evil Overlord mode of operations. I am scarier in concept and mystery than I am in person.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #36
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Gordis scores. :P Totally agree with her interpretation... The palantir probably did not come with a nice digital countdown, so even when he knew they were near, he must have been fretting to get an actual glimpse...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote