Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2001, 07:47 AM   #1
mythicoria

The last pages of The Two Towers

I was staying up late to finish up "The Two Towers" (it's 2:45 AM here). Well I made it through all the pages I had when I realized that since I last read the book, I've lost the last little bit. PLEASE SOMEONE...HELP ME! It may be a violation of copyright, but right now I don't care. Can someone scan the last page(s) and send them to me? I ran out of pages at the point where Sam is overhearing the Orc captains and realizes that Frodo is not dead. The last sentence here is 'Garn!' said Shagrat. 'She's got more than on poison.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:07 AM   #2
mythicoria

Re: the last pages of The Two Towers

(This message was left blank)
Old 08-06-2001, 08:37 AM   #3
Manwe Sulimo

Re: The last pages of The Two Towers

Ehh... I think I must point out the fact that this isn't a place where people are sitting online 24/7, we just stop by now and then, and reply to news posts etc... 20 minutes is a very small window to hit, and you would be very fortunate if anyone saw it in that time, and replied.
I understand the problem, I can imagine how I would react if some pages were missing from my copies. Unfortunately, I don't have the books here, and I can't scan it and such at home... sorry..
Old 08-06-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
Shanamir Duntak

You are right Manwe... Sorry, read it today instead
Old 08-06-2001, 02:14 PM   #5
bmilder

You're in luck... check your email, I have enclosed the missing pages .
Old 08-06-2001, 02:15 PM   #6
bmilder

Since you seem to have removed your email I'll post it here I guess...

`Garn!' said Shagrat. 'She's got more than one poison. When she's hunting, she just gives 'em a dab in the neck and they go as limp as boned fish, and then she has her way with them. D'you remember old Ufthak? We lost him for days. Then we found him in a corner; hanging up he was, but he was wide awake and glaring. How we laughed! She'd forgotten him, maybe, but we didn't touch him-no good interfering with Her. Nar - this little filth, he'll wake up, in a few hours; and beyond feeling a bit sick for a hit, he'll be all right. Or would be, if Lugbúrz would let him alone. And of course, beyond wondering where he is and what's happened to him.','And what's going to happen to him,' laughed Gorbag. 'We can tell him a few stories at any rate, if we can't do anything else. I don't suppose he's ever been in lovely Lugbúrz, so he may like to know what to expect. This is going to be more funny than I thought. Let's go!',`There's going to be no fun, I tell you,' said Shagrat. 'And he's got to be kept safe, or we're all as good as dead.',`All right! But if I were you, I'd catch the big one that's loose, before you send in any report to Lugbúrz. It won't sound too pretty to say you've caught the kitten and let the cat escape.',The voices began to move away. Sam heard the sound of feet receding. He was recovering from his shock, and now a wild fury was on him. `I got it all wrong! ' he cried. `I knew I would. Now they've got him, the devils! the filth! Never leave your master, never, never: that was my right rule. And I knew it in my heart. May I be forgiven! Now I've got to get back to him. Somehow, somehow! ',He drew his sword again and beat on the stone with the hilt, but it only gave out a dull sound. The sword, however, blazed so brightly now that he could see dimly in its light. To his surprise he noticed that the great block was shaped like a heavy door, and was less than twice his own height. Above it was a dark blank space between the top and the low arch of the opening. It was probably only meant to be a stop against the intrusion of Shelob, fastened on the inside with some latch or bolt beyond the reach of her cunning. With his remaining strength Sam leaped and caught the top, scrambled up, and dropped; and then he ran madly, sword blazing in hand, round a bend and up a winding tunnel.,The news that his master was still alive roused him to a last effort beyond thought of weariness. He could not see anything ahead. for this new passage twisted and turned constantly; but he thought he was catching the two Orcs up: their voices were growing nearer again. Now they seemed quite close.,`That's what I'm going to do,' said Shagrat in angry tones. 'Put him right up in the top chamber.',`What for? ' growled Gorbag. `Haven't you any lock-ups down below? ',`He's going out of harm's way, I tell you,' answered Shagrat. 'See? He's precious. I don't trust all my lads, and none of yours; nor you neither, when you're mad for fun. He's going where I want him, and where you won't come, if you don't keep civil. Up to the top, I say. He'll be safe there.',`Will he?' said Sam. 'You're forgetting the great big elvish warrior that's loose!' And with that he raced round the last corner, only to find that by some trick of the tunnel, or of the hearing which the Ring gave him, he had misjudged the distance.,The two orc-figures were still some way ahead. He could see them now, black and squat against a red glare. The passage ran straight at last, up an incline; and at the end, wide open, were great double doors, leading probably to deep chambers far below the high horn of the tower. Already the Orcs with their burden had passed inside. Gorbag and Shagrat were drawing near the gate.,Sam heard a burst of hoarse singing, blaring of horns and banging of gongs, a hideous clamour. Gorbag and Shagrat were already on the threshold.,Sam yelled and brandished Sting, but his little voice was drowned in the tumult. No one heeded him.,The great doors slammed to. Boom. The bars of iron fell into place inside. Clang. The gate was shut. Sam hurled himself against the bolted brazen plates and fell senseless to the ground. He was out in the darkness. Frodo was alive but taken by the Enemy.,Here ends the second part of the history of the War of the Ring.,The third part tells of the last defence against the Shadow, and the end of the mission of the Ring-bearer in THE RETURN OF THE KING.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:32 PM   #7
mythicoria

Ben,

I am very much obliged to you. There was no way to get to a library or bookstore today and it was terrible to be left hanging. Besides which I hated to start into The Return of the King with the Towers unfinished.

Sorry about removing my email address, but I had become a bit sheepish about my request. I really hadn't expected anyone to see it so immediately, but I had hoped against hope. It IS the world-wide web, and you never know when and where your passage along a strand will cross that of another.

You have a wonderful site here. Thank you for its creation.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:55 PM   #8
Darth Tater

I'm missing the last few pages of all but T2T. Luckily in ROTK it's just index, but I had to get fellowship from the library to finish it
Old 08-06-2001, 03:03 PM   #9
bmilder

No problem mythicoria - as it happens, I had the email all ready and was prepared to cut and paste your email address into it when I discovered you had edited it out seconds earlier! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments. Feel free to stick around - some of our best members originally came asking for some information like you but decided to continue to post. (Gilthalion asked about Middle-earth dialects to use for his Hobbit reading and ended up staying for months for example).
Old 08-10-2001, 11:35 PM   #10
Erewe
Enting

Strider

Maybe this is a stupid question, but...

How can you lose pages?

--Erewë

"Hey! Look! There he goes! Oh, it's just a crumby Balrog" --Crow T Robot

"I'll just see if Bombadil has a place to crash" --Pearl Forrester

"Put a sock in it, Legolas" --Mike Nelson

"Hey Gollum. Whats up man?" --Tom Servo
Erewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 12:25 PM   #11
Ben
Retired Ent

Nazgul Pages

Easy... if the book gets old enough (or is read often enough), the pages start to fall out.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 12:35 PM   #12
Darth Tater
The man

judging by your sig, I thought you'd be used to that
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 10:08 PM   #13
Erewe
Enting

Strider

I see how pages can *fall out*, but I would imagine it would only happen as a person is handling a book, and if a page fell out of a book I was reading, I'd either tape or glue it back in right away. But that's just me, I guess.

--Erewë

"Hey! Look! There he goes! Oh, it's just a crumby Balrog" --Crow T Robot

"I'll just see if Bombadil has a place to crash" --Pearl Forrester

"Put a sock in it, Legolas" --Mike Nelson

"Hey Gollum. Whats up man?" --Tom Servo
Erewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:04 PM   #14
Darth Tater
The man

Very old books disintegrate. you have no idea of how old paper crumbles in your hands. That's why i need hardcover LOTR! If you're gonna read a book more then once, get hardcover!
Old 08-12-2001, 12:46 AM   #15
morkhon
Sapling

Nazgul

Only if you are hard on your books. I can read a paperback 3 or 4 times and it will still look like it is brand new.
morkhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 09:37 AM   #16
anduin
Entwife

It all depends on how well the book was binded. Some paperbacks are bound better than others. Take for example those found a Books-a-Million...all they sell are cheaply made books. I think Mass Market Paperbacks bind their books cheaply.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 10:59 AM   #17
Darth Tater
The man

See my copies are the first authorized American paper back edition. There's no way those can survive
Old 08-12-2001, 06:56 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Lord of the Rings editions

I have a few editions of the Lord of the Rings (the Millenium one's my favourite), but I also have a very old edition (very old editions of the Volumes). My paperback Two Towers breaks off almost at exactly the same point the original poster here's did. In my case they're additions my dad read to me when I was very young, and my grandpa read to him when he was my age, so they were a bit beat up before I could save it. Someone tried to tape it back, but it comes apart real easy.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 12:43 AM   #19
morkhon
Sapling

Nazgul

Even mass paperbacks hold up pretty well if handled with care, except for Tor books. Tor needs to learn how to bind covers properly.
morkhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 02:58 PM   #20
Idril Celebrindal
Sapling

My FotR is falling apart... I made the mistake of lending it to my brother... *sigh* it came back with the spine pretty badly damaged, and has started loosing pages from the middle. there's only so much the wonderful sticky tape can do, and it's done it all now. oh well... time to spend money on Tolkien again. it's worth it. I've read LotR soooo many times...

Besides, the big worry was that if the Allies didn't get nuclear fission working soon then the Germans would beat them to it. Given the chance between our blowing up the world and the enemy blowing up the world, it was obvious what to do.
That is, on reflection, not a happy sentence.

~The Science of Discworld~
Idril Celebrindal is offline   Reply With Quote