afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

pronunciation

do you say the name

lay go las

or

lee go las

and where would the stress be?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 07:06 PM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

Well I'm far from an expert (I freely admit I'm a fan of the erroneous "SOAR on") but I say "LEH go las."

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 08:17 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think that's right Ben, as long as your 'a' in 'las' is like the sound heard in tawny and not as the a in apple.

But I myself am not entirely certain as to the stress rules regarding the letter 'o'. 'O' as I understand it is always pronounced like itself in the Eldarin languages, but it is not considered to be a long vowel unless the accent mark is above it. Not that the Elves themselves used the accent mark above a character to indicate that a vowel was long, it's simply a device of transcription chosen by Tolkien.

According to Quenya and Sindarin rules the accent always fell on the syllable before the last, where that syllable contained a diphthong, a long vowel, or a vowel followed by two or more consonants.* If that syllable did not have any of these the stress fell on the syllable before it, the third from the end. Thus the dilemma in 'Legolas', (for me, I am not a linguist). I guess though that that 'o' regardless of its sound would not be considered long. I'd have to ask a Tolkienian linguist.

But I guess you would be right Ben, it's 'LEH-goh-laws'.

* In words that contained only two syllables, the stress always fell on the first.
Old 10-12-2001, 10:32 AM   #4
Legolas
Elven Warrior

I don't know how Tolkien thought it should be but I spell it /legoulas/ with the accent on the final syllable. It may be totally wrong because, as you may see, I'm not from England or USA, but from Lithuania, where it is spelled /legolasas/ with the stress on the third syllable. But I hope that it is right.