Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2001, 08:34 PM   #1
Elessar_elfstone
Hobbit

Strider Eowyn and Faramir

In LOTR, the appendix part stated that Arwen became a mortal when she wedded to Aragon and when Aragon wanted to lay down and rest forever, Arwen was not ready to leave the world yet, so she begged Aragon not to die early but Aragon refused...... And Arwen died shortly afterwards

I was wondering if this could be the same case for Eowyn and Faramir...

Faramir is a Numénorean while Eowyn is just a normal human...so does it mean that Eowyn will die earlier than Faramir or will she become a Numénorean too?
Old 10-26-2001, 10:25 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

No, she would not become a Númenórean. Arwen was able to choose because her mother was an Elf and her father a Half-elf. Éowyn and Faramir were bother mortals. Éowyn logically would die first; not only because she did not have the blood of the Dúnedain, but because she was some ten years younger than her husband.
Old 10-27-2001, 03:25 AM   #3
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil
Éowyn logically would die first; not only because she did not have the blood of the Dúnedain, but because she was some ten years younger than her husband.
Huh!?
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 04:32 PM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

So the Tale of Years tells us. The ages (by years) of peoples living in the Third Age does not always mean the same to them as it does to us though. Thirty-three for a Hobbit, for example, is like eighteen or twenty-one to us today.

Anyway:
Quote:
2983 Faramir son of Denethor born. Birth of Samwise.
2988 Finduilas dies young.
2989 Balin leaves Erebor and enters Moria.
2991 Éomer Éomund's son born in Rohan.
2994 Balin perishes, and the dwarf-colony is destroyed.
2995 Éowyn sister of Éomer born.
Oh! I get it, I'm an idiot. *laughs* Yeah, you're right, Faramir might logically die first, being the elder of the two. My mistake.
Old 10-27-2001, 04:50 PM   #5
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

I was staring to wonder *shakes her head*
Old 07-29-2002, 04:16 PM   #6
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Faramir had Numenorean lines as well as Elven blood, and being that Eowyn was descendent of the Northmen, it is conceivable that he would outlive her. However, it is not stated how old Éowyn lived to be, but Faramir lived to forth age year 82, 120 years old.

Last edited by Snowdog : 07-29-2002 at 04:17 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Re: Eowyn and Faramir

Quote:
Originally posted by Elessar_elfstone
In LOTR, the appendix part stated that Arwen became a mortal when she wedded to Aragon and when Aragon wanted to lay down and rest forever, Arwen was not ready to leave the world yet, so she begged Aragon not to die early but Aragon refused...... And Arwen died shortly afterwards

I was wondering if this could be the same case for Eowyn and Faramir...

Faramir is a Numénorean while Eowyn is just a normal human...so does it mean that Eowyn will die earlier than Faramir or will she become a Numénorean too?
I don't think that's possible. The Numenoreans were an acncient race of noble humans, there line was very long. Just because someone married a Numenorean doesn't mean that "POP! Presto! I'm a Numenorean! Yay!". You'd have to be related to a numenorean to be one, you can't just marry one. Numenoreans would be a lot more common, and not treated so specially if you could become one through marriage.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:04 PM   #8
Snowdog

Gimli

Quote:
I don't think that's possible. The Numenoreans were an acncient race of noble humans, there line was very long. Just because someone married a Numenorean doesn't mean that "POP! Presto! I'm a Numenorean! Yay!". You'd have to be related to a numenorean to be one, you can't just marry one. Numenoreans would be a lot more common, and not treated so specially if you could become one through marriage.
Quite right Faramir. it would be Faramir & Eowyn's kids who would inherit a portion of the Numenorean bloodline, and may have a measure of longer life. But it would be further mingled with lesser blood (not a put down of Eowyn or the Rohirrim) that the advantages would be in my opinion slight.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:16 PM   #9
Tar-Elenion
Enting

Interestingly enough, Eowyn's grandmother was Morwen of Lossarnach, a lady of "high Numenorean descent".

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Tar-Elenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:03 PM   #10
Snowdog

Gimli

Yes, and it shows that the mingling of the bloods were always lessened. Even in Numenor the lifespan diminished as men feared death more and more. It seemed that the heart and spirit of the line made a diffference, for when darkness entered in it seemed to diminish the years. It also seemed to be also in the resistance to the ring?
Old 10-21-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

I dont think so. Eowyn and Faramir are mortals. But I'd say Eowyn would die last.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:29 PM   #12
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Is not eowyn part Gondorian blood, by a least her granmother (who was Theodens mother) ?
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:36 PM   #13
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Sam Gamgee

I think, no matter how you cut it, Faramir will die before Eowyn. It's just more logical.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

love

I didn't know, that Faramir was that old. I always thought of him like a young, cute man.
But another thing:

Do you know the scene in the Return of the King, where Eowyn and Faramir meet in Minas Tirith? When they are both healed by Aragorn and the both of them become close friends?
One time Faramir asks Eowyn, why she does not leave to meet her brother Eomer, like Eomer asked her to. And the Eowyn asks Faramir if he does not know the answer.
Faramir replies, that there are 2 possibilities and he names them.
But Eowyn does not say, which was the right one.
did she stay because of Faramir
or did she stay because Aragorn didn't ask her to come?
Old 01-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #15
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
While you're thinking of cute men, keep in mind that Aragorn is only one year younger that Denethor.

and I vote for the Aragorn possibility.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:16 PM   #16
entss89
lord of the ents

no i dont believe she would become that, because arwen was diff.

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:26 PM   #17
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
They are both human, indeed "kin from afar off": Faramir told Frodo and Sam that "Indeed it is said by our lore-masters that they have from of old this affinity with us that they are come from those same Three Houses of Men as were the Númenoreans in their beginning; not from Hador the Goldenhaired, the Elf-friend, maybe, yet from such of his sons and people as went not over Sea into the West, refusing the call."

That said, back in 1250 King Valacar of Gondor, while a prince, had wed VidumavÃ*, daughter of the Northern prince Vidugavia (thus setting the stage for the terrible Kinstrife in Gondor); VidumavÃ* "had been a fair and noble lady, but short-lived according to the fate of lesser Men, and the Dúnedain feared that her descendants would prove the same and fall from the majesty of the Kings of Men." (Appendix A, Lord of the Rings).

After the Kin-strife, descendants of the kings were few, partly because of the civil war and partly because afterwards the kings were very suspicious of their near kin, who quite often either renounced their lineage and married non-Númenoreans or fled to join the rebels in Umbar. Thus, after Eärnur, there was no claimant to the crown and the stewards took over.

And 1,769 years after Valacar had started the whole sad process, Faramir (who, although the blood of Númenor ran truer in him than in Boromir, was not a descendant of the Kings) would tell Frodo and Sam that the Númenoreans could "scarce claim any longer the title High. We are become Middle Men, of the Twilight, but with memory of other things."

Whether that affected the Dúnedain's longevity, I don't know. I suspect that with him not being an in-line descendant of the Kings, and with her Númenorean blood, they had about the same life expectancy, though perhaps her encounter with the Witch-King of Angmar might have shortened her life some.

Quote:
did she stay because of Faramir or did she stay because Aragorn didn't ask her to come?
That was a great scene. I don't think she knew herself, until she realized that Faramir loved her.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:47 PM   #18
Elf Girl
Lurker

Maybe Faramir will choose to die when she does...
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:54 PM   #19
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Faramir is of direct Numenorean line, whereas it's quite less pure in Eowyn. As Nolendil pointed out, it says that he was 12 years older than her; as Snowdog said, Faramir lived to be around 120. She would have to be 100-some if she lived as long as he did, let alone if she lived longer. If I remember correctly, Aldor the Old only lived to be 100-120 (not sure how old exactly; can anyone inform me?) I would think that most Rohirrim would be considerably less long-lived than him, simply because he was called Aldor the Old, thus implying that he lived to be longer than most of their kind.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:06 PM   #20
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Eowyn did really need long time to realize that Faramir loved her. I mean when they first met I knew it and I even thought they would fit together perfectly when I first read about their characters (in TTT).
And Faramir would choose death. He is a romantic and cute man. He would.