Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #1
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen and Aragorn

When Arwen gave up her immortality when she married Aragorn did she remain her age that she was (old?) ?

sorry if this in the wrong thread

Last edited by ArwenEvenstar : 09-22-2002 at 01:34 PM.
ArwenEvenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 03:52 AM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Half-elves.

Elronds brother Elros was also a half-elf who chose mortality and he lived for 500 years. (That's in the Silmarillion somewhere.)

So she would age, but slowly. Aragorn was also very long-lived, he lived for about 200 years.

But she would age because she's mortal. Wouldn't that be weird to look older than your father?

That must suck for Elrond.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:41 AM   #3
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Nurvingiel- What does your avatar say? I started memorizing the tengwar and tehtar a week ago but I don't know what 2 of the letters are (last 2 letters of first word). Plus I don't see any vowels...?

-~*Smintz*~-
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 05:23 PM   #4
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Personally, I don't think that she'd necessarily age much at all. In my mind, when elves give up their immortality for love, it seems that they die from grief. So, to give up one's immortality is more along the lines of devoting your entire heart and soul to another being who will one day leave you, thus, taking your very vitality with them.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:58 PM   #5
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Hmm.... so it's not like some metaphysical phenomenon where they suddenly start aging? Kinda makes more sense... like deovting themselves and vowing to take on/accept the responsibility and doom of dying of grief when their partner dies(which they would probably do anyway). That makes so much sense! It's much more... realistic... and romantic rather than saying "oh ok, when I say these words I'll start aging/be mortal"

-~*Smintz*~-
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 07:18 PM   #6
olsonm
Elf Lord

I like the way Starr Polish put it. Arwen didn't become human: she became mortal. So her nature didn't change (i.e. her aging) but when she died (from grief, seemingly) she left the circles of the world never to return.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:09 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm a sucker for tragic romances (perhaps a reason I'm such a fan of Tolkien and human/elf marriages).

Yes, how could one change their metaphysicality (is that a word?), even if one was an elf? It just makes more sense to me this way, since Tolkien did mention elves could die of grief.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #8
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

i agree with starr polish. i think when you give up immortality for love, you don't age, you just die of gried when your partner dies or something

but then again...elves can always die of grief...i think ^_^;
Old 10-03-2002, 06:27 AM   #9
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

You right elves can die from grief.

I think you right, but I don't think that if Arwen will be still an elf and Aragorn will die, she will die too. Not many elves died from grief, I think.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:50 AM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Eh?

It seemed to me that she died from grief when she laid herself down on the mound at Cerin Amroth.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:19 PM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

BoP, I don't think so...

Arwen become a "special human", one that can't die from disease (etc.) but mortal, because she wanted to die with Aragorn. I think.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:24 PM   #12
entss89
lord of the ents

well the thing is that arwen never did give aragon her immortality because i was reading the appendix in my book and it said that aragon just laid down in his royal bed and died so i totally say that p. j. messup on that part but im not dissing the movie!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:47 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
BoP, I don't think so...

Arwen become a "special human", one that can't die from disease (etc.) but mortal, because she wanted to die with Aragorn. I think.
I don't think she became a "special human" either. I think she was still an elf, but she chose mortality (giving up her place in Valinor); and it seemed to me that when she laid down on that mound, that she was in a sense choosing to die, seemingly of grief. And she didn't die with Aragorn: she died in Lothlorien, and a little bit after he died.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:52 PM   #14
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

uh...what bop said
Old 10-04-2002, 12:14 AM   #15
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I agree with BoP, Arwen chose to die when she laid herself down in Lothlorien, which was some time after Aragorns death.
I have probably read this somewhere, but why did Arwen have to become mortal after marrying Aragorn?
Old 10-04-2002, 12:39 AM   #16
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I have probably read this somewhere, but why did Arwen have to become mortal after marrying Aragorn?
I believe Arwen was given the same choice as her father (presumably because she was basically half-elven too) and she chose to be mortal because otherwise it would have been to painful to outlive Aragorn. I think her brothers were also given this choice. I'm tired and haven't checked the sources so I could be way off here.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:40 AM   #17
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider a very good question

Yes, Cassiopeia, why did Arwen have to become mortal just because she married a mortal? I've asked that before on other forums, but have never gotten a really satisfying answer.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:53 AM   #18
olsonm
Elf Lord

I believe the children of Elrond were given the same choice he was, and Arwen chose to be mortal because her grief would have been to great after Aragorn's death for her to want to be immortal. At least that's the way she felt about it, seemingly. Sadly Elrond was correct when he guessed that Arwen would find her choice difficult to bare in the end.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:07 AM   #19
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Yes, I think she just chose to be mortal 'cos after Aragorn died she wouldn't want to hang around. After all, you don't want to be looking after your great-great-great-great-grandchildren and watching them die, do you? I guess, if Aragorn had died earlier, she could have gone to the Undying Lands, but by the time she wanted to go there were no more ships to take.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:13 AM   #20
Maciliel
Sapling

Elda - I always thought also that Arwen and Aragorn were bound to one another through all eternity by the power of their love AND by the nature of their purpose - they completed each other so to speak and their fate was to travel through eternity together. This being the case she would have to share his mortal doom (a choice she had only because of her Mortal lineage). I once read a fan fic that was quite beautiful (IMHO) in which the reader is given a glimpse of their re-uniting upon her death. Even during life their connection to each other was profound and they had to endure travail, yet bridged the mores/dooms of two peoples. Does this give more satisfaction?

(You are a bad influence m'dear...I registered here five minutes ago...NOW I will get to work...)
Maciliel is offline   Reply With Quote