Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2001, 08:30 PM   #1
Quickbeam
Hobbit

ents in the movie

i haven't seen any pictures of what ents will look like in the movie. Maybe they haven't started the animation yet, but does anyone know, or have a pic??? My friend told me that when he saw the movie, when the orcs were cutting the trees down, you could see faces on the trees. When i saw the movie i tried to look but didn't see anything. So do they have faces?
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 08:40 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

In the film, I don't think so. Those were just normal trees. By the way, I thought those sequences of the trees around Isengard being uprooted were a terrific lead-in to The Two Towers...

As for the Ents - I think they're mostly CG, but also done with some animatronic models. No pictures of them yet, though. However... of course they've started the CG modeling. It's just going to be a while before they finish.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 10:05 AM   #3
Lightice
Elven Warrior

I believe, that theyr appearance shall be a surprize, just as well as Gollum is.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:11 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Well I've read and heard interviews with WETA, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan that machines were used for when Merry and Pippin are on Treebeards shoulders and other physical interactions the rest I suppose is CG.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 10:51 PM   #5
Quickbeam
Hobbit

hello?

anyone??
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 12:13 AM   #6
Ben
Retired Ent

The first time I saw the movie, I thought those were Ents too. But the second time, I looked more closely and saw that what looked like faces in the trees was actually the breeding of the Uruk-hai. That was Lurtz, not Treebeard .

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 01:18 AM   #7
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I did not see faces on any of the trees.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 07:21 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Who the heck is Lurtz?

I seem to recall a still somewhere, I thought it was Old Man Willow, but it may have been either an Ent or Huorn, probably a Huorn. Seemed awfully "tree-ish".

I agree, IronParrot, the scenes of destruction in the forests of Isengard sets beautifully the stage for the rage of the Ents against the "Tree killer".

I wonder what the "Director's Cut" on video will contain....
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 07:29 PM   #9
Santee
Sapling

I as well can't wait for the Ents to come into being.

No matter what, it should be interesting to see, just to understand the size and scope that these wise old beings have in the history of Middle Earth. As well as to see the visual differences the Ent Draughts will have on the two hobbits...
Santee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #10
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Lurtz

Lurtz was an invented character. he is the Uruk that Saruman breeds and instructs. He was added to provide the movie with a climatic scene at the end. I saw the movie four times and the climax seems to have worked because all four times the reaction to the fight between Lurtz and Aragorn ended with shouts from the audience.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:47 PM   #11
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

It is so chilling when Boromir is kneeling, with three heavy Uruk-Hai arrows sticking out of him, watching the Uruk-Hai running past him, ignoring him, whilst "Lurtz" walks, stalks, deliberately, slowly, and evilly, up to him and raises his bow and draws the string...

Yikes!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:41 PM   #12
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I have now seen the movie four times and I just cannot make out any faces on the trees. But they do seem to "hoom" loudly when the Orcs pull them down. Also, one of the Orcs comments about their deep roots and being very strong. I guess that Fangorn Forest will attack Isengard because of what Saruman did to the trees in the fortress.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 11:04 PM   #13
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

I have not seen any faces either. But my fifth viewing is due so I'll look closely. They should not be ents or hurons. just trees. I think the movie did a marvelous job is showing Isengard's transformation to a wastland. Can't wait for the flood.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 11:22 AM   #14
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

No, the trees at Isengard are not ents nor huorns, simply trees. However, in the books, Fangorn/Treebeard states some of those trees were friends of his...

'Curse him, root and branch! Many of those trees were my friends, creatures I had known from nut and acorn; many had voices of their own that are lost forever now...'.

In reflecting to the downing of those trees, I recall no faces either, and not really any screams. Mayhaps the "screams" were the sounds of wood splitting and tearing, to which anyone who has been around the felling of a large tree can attest. [certainly made ME feel like I was in the presence of orcs....]

LOVED the orcish line, "The trees are very strong, me' Looooord....their roots go very deep....".

I hope the Ents resemble those in the paintings by the Brothers Hildebrandt.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #15
Santee
Sapling

The trees of Isengard were not Ents, nor were they Huorns... They were trees who had grown up in that area and were tended to and firends with in the entish way with the Ents. They were not Ents in the literal sense of the word...
They were probably similar to the Great Wood outside the Shire...
Santee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:24 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Yup, they were trees, and the Ents could understand the language of the trees. The Elves taught the trees a language in the First Age.