Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2000, 11:56 AM   #1
Ferr

Middle Earth Role Playing

When I saw 'RPG' I hasted in double-clicking my way over here...You can imagine my shock when I discovered the horrible truth about this forum...Nobody speaks of MERP!!

Are you guyz aware that there is something of a fantastic roleplaying game entirely based on Tolkien's works?? I just can't believe it to be so...you must all know. I am a gamemaster, and probably the best there ever was, is, and will be (if you don't mind me saying so).

The only **** I read here are self-made nonsense stories about Saruman taking over Hobbiton with an army of drafted U.S. soldiers???? HELLO! what are we doing here people?

Of course, with this inspiring and somewhat offensive little speech I hope to encourage you guys in participating in INTERESTING discussions about MERP (or whatever RPG you like, as long as it's not a computergame). I find computer RPG's an insult to my imagination, and I sincerely hope that there will NOT EVER be one of Middle Earth...
MERP rules bigtime!
Old 10-05-2000, 03:32 PM   #2
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Middle Earth Role Playing

... I have been playing MERP for 7 years now. And I can say that YOU are NOT the best gamemaster for merp there is, my GM is...
Old 10-05-2000, 04:11 PM   #3
Xivigg

Shan is right and sorry to disapoint you but their IS a rpg on Middle Earth on SNES i think

and he is quite poor
Old 10-05-2000, 04:19 PM   #4
Saruman Brokenwhite

I found your speech more offensive than inspiring.

While there are many expensive gaming systems that require enormous dedication of time and resources, I have not found any of these to actually add to the FUN of Role Playing.

Having spent more than my share of money and time with such things in the past, I have come to the belief that these systems are made needlessly complex by the manufacturers in the hopes of selling as much merchandise as possible.

I've played RPGs with folk who were so obsessed over the details of the Game, they could not enjoy the Role Playing, or let others enjoy it!

On the Hobbiton thread, we are engaged in an exercise in creative improvisational writing. It is pure role playing with little regulation.

We are all busy people! Tater can't even continue right now! The kind of dedication that a sophisticated game would require would lose many of us.

We've been on kind of an honor system to simply not let things get impossibly out of hand. We are working to bring things to a close with all loose ends tied up neatly by the Scouring of the Shire. Then the adventure may move off in an entirely unforseeable direction.

We are having fun role playing, and I'm sorry our fun distressed you and did not meet your expectations for a challenging game. It probably is more fun to play and write than to simply come along and read it. It is certainly easier to join in with a new character at any point in the story.

And I'll bet it's far more readable and enjoyable for the average passerby than a strict gaming transcript!
Old 10-05-2000, 05:46 PM   #5
Xivigg

Well say Gil

your THE man

I have play a similar game base on Star Trek and i like it a lot.
It's almost more fun than when you have to thrown dice to see if your action is a sucess or not.
this time you chose if you succeed or not and if you look well, most player don't make it easy to their character.

I like it and if you don't just don't play.
Old 10-05-2000, 08:07 PM   #6
Elbreth of Carhouth

I'm sorry our little role playing improv is found distressing to some, but I too found that post rather offensive. I'm not going to delete it, for I respect your opinions, but I would suggest you use caution when posting.

Our little game is not meant to be challenging, it was meant only as a little, fun, improv for us to play with as we like. Most of us lead really busy lives and haven't the time for anything more.

If you would like to join the game, and add a new perspective, you are very welcome too. I'm sorry if this post sounded a little harsh, but I am slightly hurt. But, I'm not about to hold anything against you.
Old 10-05-2000, 10:07 PM   #7
Bullroarer

I find this incredibly insulting. I spend many hours writing up my games. I may not be good, but really.....

So if you think you'd like to poke fun at us, laugh at us behind or in front of us, you can say were stupid, you can say we have to purpose, you can say whatever the hell you want.

We can't hear you.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:11 AM   #8
Saruman Brokenwhite

tick

"You are all falling into a deep sleep."

tock

"You will forget the intruder."

tick

"Forget."

tock

"Forget."

tick

"Ferrget."

tock

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Actually, I'm not all that mad, it's not like Ferr poisoned my dog or anything. But if you're looking for folk to play a game with you, and to enjoy it enough to continue playing, then you might want to put a better foot forward. )
Old 10-07-2000, 03:48 AM   #9
Sauganast

I made a message board completely dedicated to these kinds of RPG's cuz they are just fun, something to do when you have a bit of time. If anyone wants to know what it is it is at pub26.ezboard.com/bmithlond .

Thanks a lot if you visit it.
Old 10-07-2000, 06:10 PM   #10
Darth Tater

Ferr, if this attitude continues you will be banned
Old 10-09-2000, 09:35 AM   #11
Ferr

Geez guys, relax! I didn't expect you all to react so furiously...My deepest apologies if I sounded too offensive.

Since you don't like me coming here, I will go now...

(shame we did not have the opportunity to learn a bit more about Middle Earth from oneanother).

I shall never be banned...

Enjoy your lives! And don't let the newcomers interrupt with your little subculture you have here together (don't get me wrong). I loved this board, really seemed interresting. A bit pittyfull you don't understand me...
Old 10-09-2000, 09:53 AM   #12
Fat middle

seems that you all have to calm down.

hey guys, has Melkor's spirit been around here?

i don't think Ferr was trying to be offensive. remember his native language is not English. Perhaps if you speak calmly you can find a place for his games in this forum and to proof he's a good GM
Old 10-09-2000, 11:44 AM   #13
Bullroarer

Your pitying him like Gollum, methinks.
Old 10-09-2000, 02:46 PM   #14
Darth Tater

FM, that's why we offer warnings. Apparently he took that a bit too seriously.