Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-27-2003, 01:12 PM   #41
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Why not? There's been tons of Draculas. Maybe Tolkien will be the next Bram Stoker.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:08 AM   #42
Kili Goldmoth
Sapling

Yes he should

I think he should
Kili Goldmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:14 PM   #43
elixir
Elven Warrior

Well, I don't have anything against Peter Jackson making The Hobbit movie, someone else might do it also, as long as someone makes a movie of it at all...

About PJ and LOTR, I didn't like some changes he made, but it wasn't THAT bad, in my opinion at least

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:15 PM   #44
legolialis
Hobbit

Strider

I would love to see the hobbit made into a movie. It would develop the story of lord of the rings more and help people who havent read the books undestand it more
legolialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:36 PM   #45
Elbereth5
Sapling

i think it should be..but not if its going to ruin it like pj did with LOTR
Elbereth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:44 PM   #46
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Strider don't hit me

i think a hobbit movie would be ok, if it was done right, movies had been made after books and it ended up ok, please don't smack me, its just my oppy

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 PM   #47
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

What was that? I didn't hear you....

*smack*
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:37 PM   #48
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Actually, I've been thinking about PJ filming The Hobbit, in light of my reevaluation of the first two LOTR movies (I give the first an A- and the second a C+).
How about a two-part Hobbit, the first ending with Thorin & Co. entering Mirkwood and the White Counsel attacking Dol Guldur. You can have Gandalf, Saruman, Elrond, Galadriel, and Legolas (for fangirls) reprise roles. Not sure if Ian Holmes could be "youthened" up enough to do Bilbo. And by playing a bit with real chronology have a teenage/young adult Aragorn find out about his heritage (to include love interest with Arwen) and have his early involvement in Gondor/Rohan in Part II of the movie. And wouldn't Gimli of movies (John R. Davies) be a great Thorin Oakenshield? Also, PJ could do excellent special effects of Beorn, Smaug, trolls, Dol Guldur attack by White Counsel, and spiders.
There is enough ambiguity in the events of The Hobbit (what was the composition of the force driving Sauron from Dol Guldur, actual debate and interaction of "The Wise" before attacking, were Elven/Ranger forces involved, how to work in a role for Legolas), that it wouldn't really be necessary to tamper with the plot of The Hobbit much.
Also, if another love interest is needed for these movies, make up something between Bard and a Laketown girl.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 10-18-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:43 PM   #49
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Sorry, I think I posted message twice. Deleting didn't work, so put in this note.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 10-18-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:38 PM   #50
Tinuviel22
Sapling

absolutely! I love the hobbit. It kind of shows a different side to the dwarves and the wood elves
like when Thorin had Dain come and help them fight Bard and the elves. it shows the dwarves more like warriors. I really like that. I like the Hobbit almost more than the three LOTR books.
Tinuviel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #51
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Folks, it's not a matter of 'if' PJ will make the Hobbit, it's only a matter of 'when.'

One of the greatest things about the Hobbit film project is that PJ will have the opportunity to retell Tolkien's kiddie book with the more appropriate adult fantasy tone the Master used in writing LOTR.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:49 PM   #52
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
One of the greatest things about the Hobbit film project is that PJ will have the opportunity to retell Tolkien's kiddie book with the more appropriate adult fantasy tone the Master used in writing LOTR.
Hmm... not sure about that.

The core of The Hobbit's appeal to me is that it does have a lightness, a "kiddie" tone you might say, that was nowhere to be found in the arguably over-pretentious Silmarillion and its absorption with grand mytho-fantasy. LOTR, book and film, hit the perfect middle-ground between the two.

However, if Peter Jackson handles it with as deftly as he did the first half of The Fellowship of the Ring, particularly the early scenes before the Prancing Pony, there's absolutely nothing to worry about. He has too keen a sense for immersive imagery. He'd have to have Andrew Lesnie on board, though, to capture the vibrance and colour that is needed.

You'll note, however, that in FOTR, PJ wisely shied away from Tom Bombadil, who wouldn't have fit into the tone of the LOTR films - and is probably the part of LOTR that is most like The Hobbit.

My point remains, though, that The Hobbit should not be made any darker than it already is. If Peter Jackson understands that, then he would be the perfect man for the movie.

(Otherwise, I'd take the ever-whimsical visual genius Terry Gilliam, who should have done Harry Potter but didn't.)
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:08 AM   #53
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Hobbit movie should keep the "light" tone in it.
Ironparrot, who is Andrew Lesnie?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 03:15 AM   #54
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Director of Photography on The Lord of the Rings. To put it in simplistic terms, he's responsible for all the light, colour and shadow.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:55 AM   #55
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I totallly agree that the Hobbit should have a lighter tone than LOTR. But if filmed as written, we have -- ack! -- a Disney film!!! Personally, I think PJ would be perfect at capturing the lightness of the book's mood while approaching the story seriously.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:35 AM   #56
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Ian Mkellen would have to reprise his role as Gandalf, with Andy Serkis back as Gollum. San Connery for Thorin.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:22 AM   #57
Ilúvatar
Hobbit

Gandalf

Quote:
'Rings' Director Wants to Bring 'Hobbit' to Screen

Despite his exhaustion, Jackson is not resting on his laurels and said if complex rights issues can be resolved he would like to direct "The Hobbit," J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to the "Rings" trilogy set some 50 years earlier.

"I'd be interested in doing it because I think it would give continuity to the overall chapter," he said.

While many of the lead "Rings" characters do not appear in "The Hobbit" story, the wizard Gandalf, played by Ian McKellen (news), and Gollum, the cave dweller corrupted by the powerful ring, do and should make a comeback. Arwen, the elf princess played by Liv Tyler (news), could also feature again, Jackson said.
Should Jackson bring the Hobbit to the screen? One word, NO!!
Ilúvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:46 PM   #58
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

PJ should do some of the speacail effects and direct the movie, but he shouldn't write the script (and neather should Fran Walsh and Boyens, or whatever there names are). You have to admit, he did do a great job with shooting LOTR film, and costumes and all, he just didn't ceep it very close to the books, so if someone else wrote the script, and he just directed it, that would work.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:14 PM   #59
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I loved the LOTR movies and I think PJ did a great job; some of the changes were odd, but on the whole, I was impressed.

That said, I would love to see The Hobbit as a PJ movie, but I think it would be tough to do after the LOTR. The scale is smaller and the story is less complex; audiences (especially those who haven't read the books) may be disappointed. Doing The Hobbit first would've been easier.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #60
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I can't say I approve of everything PJ did. Far from it actually, but I still think he would do OK with the Hobbit, as long as he didn't make it darker, and didn't make the Battle of the Five Armies take up half the movie or something. At least if he did it, there would be something tying the two together.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote