Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
Azhag_Nuug
Hobbit

Another Preview

Another story from the bored mind of me. Please excuse the reference to the children and other things that may be incorrect from Tolkien's works. This is only a rough draft.

CHAPTER I

A NEW ADVENTURE

Samwise Gamgee stood looking down at Hobbiton. The journey to the Havens was over, and now he at last returned home. His master Frodo, after passing over the Great Sea gave him the Red Book of Westmarch to finish, and finish it he would. Merry and Pippin went their separate ways, and now Sam stood alone on the Hill. He marched down towards the door where it swung open and there stood Rosie Cotton, his beloved wife, and Eleanor their daughter, and in Rosie’s arms was little Frodo, their new child.

Sam lifted Eleanor up from the ground and held her in his arms, and then ran his finger gently across Frodo’s brow. He turned away toward Hobbiton, where in the dimming light of the sun he could see all of it.
‘Well, I’m back,’ he said.

A few years had passed since Frodo and Gandalf left, but Pippin soon moved on back to his old life. Happily he lived with is young son Faramir, but now he felt he needed a change, and indeed a change came to him one September day. In fact, it was old Bilbo’s birthday, and Frodo’s too, when a knock came to the door.
Pippin opened up and lo! there stood a tall man. His eyes were green and his hair was long. A long cloak covered his body and then he knew whom it was, for he saw this man often in Gondor. ‘Hullo,’ Pippin managed to mutter. ‘Mind coming in for a spot of tea?’ he asked.

‘Nay,’ replied Mablung. ‘Nay I cannot but I thank thee.’ If it is possible right then his face became more serious than before. ‘I bring word from the Lord Elessar.’ Mablung waited a moment. ‘For you he calls. Prince Faramir hath fallen ill, ere a fortnight ago. The King has no longer any athelas in his house, and he urges you bring him some.’ Quickly Mablung turned and began striding urgently down the road but turned back one last time. ‘Make haste and delay not, for the healing of the White Tower is yet to find a way without athelas. As for me, I have other errands, now make hast Peregrin son Paladin!’ And with that he broke into a crisp run, and headed where Pippin does not know.

It did not take him long to get ready and throw on his pack. His dissaperance would be unexpected but there would be one who knew of his leaving. 'Hullo,' asked Merry as he popped open the door. 'Oh Pippin! How do you do. A mighty day for a smoke but it looks more like your off on another adventure.'

'Indeed I am dear friend, and ere we reach Gondor we shall visit the Lady Eowyn and the Lord Eomer, and travel to Elrond's House to see the last of the elves, and to the mountains to visit Gimli. Come my friend! Ere we go a drink, and then off we wil be, to the Green Dragon!' So Merry went inside and gathered his things, and off they went to the Green Dragon.

After a quick sip of fine ale and some farewells to the Gaffer and Mayor Whitfoot, they were off with high voices in the air.

The road goes ever ever on,
Out from the door where it began,
Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow it if I can,
I carry on with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet,
And whither then I cannot say!
The road will sway,
Close, far, away!
And off we go,
Until we meet it another day!