Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2000, 02:09 AM   #1
Sauganast

The New Jedi Order

Ahhh.. Yeah, i sorta already posted this message in the sci-fi room, i didn't see this forum, don't know how, but i missed it. But basically i wanna talk about the New Jedi Order series. From Chewbeccas death to the Yuuzhan-Vong's funky religion (hating droids and the embrace of pain) to Mara's sickness to the Vong's immunity to the force to any other topic from the series, i think this is one of the better series. All they need is for Kevin Anderson to write some of the books.
Old 08-28-2000, 07:10 PM   #2
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: The New Jedi Order

I don't know if I've read them yet, what about them? They sound interesting. Actually, I may have read the one with Chewie's death, cause I think I didn't believe it was true.
Old 08-29-2000, 03:11 AM   #3
Sauganast

They are really good books, if you haven't read them yet, you should. Its pretty much about an alien race from another galaxy that come to take over the new republic and eradicate droids and turn everyone over to their "religion". If you had read them you would know for sure, they say the New Jedi Order on the cover of everyone.
Old 08-29-2000, 09:24 PM   #4
Miralys

Yeah these books are pretty cool (nothing can beat the Thrawn Trilogy though!!!). I especially like the discussions on the philosophy of the Force. I used to complain that the SW novels were too saccharin and that nothing bad ever happened to the major characters. Oooops. : Salvatore kinda proved me wrong there. Chewie's death was totally unexpected and for a while there it made for some good action, what with everyone's reaction and the tension it caused between Han and Anakin. But then in the following books it was kinda dropped. Now Han makes a perfunctory appearance now and then to go "wah wah wah" and that's it. What's the deal with that? Can't these people go into more detail?

::rant mode off::
Old 08-30-2000, 12:58 AM   #5
Sauganast

I don't know, I am kinda glad that they dropped Han crying over Chewies death. Think if Luke had mourned over all the people he ever lossed forever? or Leia? or any other character? you'd have books going on for ever and ever. People are always dieing, if you mourn and mourn forever you never get anywhere. Have you not read all of them? han realizes why chewie had to die, i won't tell you why so that you can find out for yourself.
Old 08-30-2000, 01:52 AM   #6
bmilder

I had read the entire Bantam series, and yet I was unable to finish the first NJO book (the name escapes me at the moment). I also never finished Starfighters of Adumar. That could be partially due to the fact that Entmoot was taking off when I tried to read it. Perhaps I'll re-start it soon.
Old 08-31-2000, 12:49 AM   #7
Sauganast

I would definitly recommend reading the NJO series, they are fantastic. And you should finish starfighters of adumar just so you can say you have read the entire series. The X-Wing series aren't really my favorite, but you can't like everything. But if you haven't read the NJO series then you are missing out on a big event in the star wars galaxy. So read them, and may the force be with you!
Old 08-31-2000, 04:04 PM   #8
Darin Halcyon

As an X-wing series fan, I can't say I agree with you, but to each his own. :P
P.S. I'm not sure what I think of the NJO though.
Old 08-31-2000, 05:53 PM   #9
emilsson

NJO has started out good, but I have only read the first two books ( Vector Prime and Onslaught ). I will soon read Ruin and A hero's trial. They are not up there with Zahn's books, but they are better than most of the Bantam books.
Old 09-01-2000, 03:25 AM   #10
Sauganast

Is it even fair to compare another book to something written Zahn? honestly, what kind of statement is that? It would definitly help the NJO series if they had zahn write a book for them, even though it is out of his style. He writes more of the warship strategy books, not the spiritual jedi books. Well thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
Old 09-01-2000, 01:51 PM   #11
Darin Halcyon

Well said, Zhan is an superb author. But I realy can't compare His with the NJO. Even though I have extensive SW knowlage (accent included) I've only read Onslaught, in that series.
Old 09-01-2000, 06:56 PM   #12
emilsson

If it was possible I'd love to see Zahn write a book for NJO. I was stating my opinion and I think it is possible to compare Zahn and NJO. They are different but sometimes a comparison can be enlightening. I welcome this way of publishing because it could be much better, plotwise.
Old 09-02-2000, 04:25 AM   #13
Sauganast

I think that Zahn and Anderson should join up and write some NJO books. Zahn is a superior author when it comes to the military and diplomatic part of SW but Anderson is by far the best author when it comes to the Jedi. So theoretically speaking these two should make the ultimate team. nuf said?
Old 09-02-2000, 03:05 PM   #14
Elbreth of Carhouth

That would be interesting, though I don't know how feasible.
Zahn and Anderson have different writing techniques. And I know from experience how hard it is to co-write a book. Unless of course you are absolutly and stubbornly determined to finish it.
Old 09-07-2000, 07:56 PM   #15
Darth ATAT

I loved it...finally the kind of adult-aimed fiction we need in SW. Far better than anything else in the EU IMO...I'm nearly at the end of Vector Prime.

I hate X-wing...because they're unrealistic, making X-wings far far far too powerful...but there goes.
Old 09-08-2000, 05:59 PM   #16
Film Hobbit

Well I started reading Vector Prime about 2 days ago... I'm now 3/4 of the way through... which is a good indication of how good it is... I can't put the dang thing down. Next to Zahn's books, it is definently the best Star Wars book I've read. I gotta say I am NOT happy with the way Chewie was killed... I mean the death scene itself was well written, but his death otherwise really was almost senseless... there was no reason he couldn't have been saved. Anakin should have been able to use the force to lift him into the Falcon... I mean just minutes before he was using the Force to throw around giant pieces of concrete, I don't think 1 Wookie would have been much problem for him. Not to mention the fact that I really didn't see the need to kill of one of the most beloved characters in history AT ALL anyway. But otherwise I'm loving Vector Prime.
Old 09-09-2000, 03:18 AM   #17
Sauganast

Am I the only one here that thinks Kevin J. Anderson is pretty much as good as Zahn? C'mon, you have to like Anderson, he's the one that made the Jedi Academy series!! Which is a very critical point for the reestablishment of the Jedi. These were probably the hardest to write and actually make them good!!
Old 09-09-2000, 07:47 PM   #18
Elbreth of Carhouth

No, your not the only one. I like Anderson too. He did a really good job. I just don't think Zahn and Anderson can be all that much comparable. They have such different writing styles. It's not really fair to their individuality.
Old 09-27-2000, 03:04 AM   #19
Aara Hakey

I just love the books period!!! I did cry when Chewie died, and my heart aches for Han...but they make him seem so whimpy right now. I see Han mourning sure...but to this extent...you'd think he would pull himself together a little easier.
and yeah the x-wing books are awesome!
Old 09-28-2000, 06:33 PM   #20
emilsson

I finished reading A Hero's Trial a week ago and it made my opinion of NJO much more positive. I liked how the author handled Han's grief, but maybe there were too many references to earlier EU stuff. Now I got to find the other books.