Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2003, 12:29 AM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Preview for Return of the King....

Ok this really needs its own thread as well. As most of you know there is a 10-minute preview of Return of the King on the TTT DVD that just came out a couple days ago.

Let's get some dicussions going on about it

I watched it again today and I am kind of worried about the whole Eowyn thing. In the preview it appears that she rides with the Rhorrim, along with Merry, as Eowyn and not as Dernhelm. There is a shot of her and Merry on the same horse and it is clearly her and not dressed in armor like Dernhelm. Hopefully that is before they leave for Gondor and not on the trip there. If you look further there is also a shot of Pippin holding Merry as Merry is in obvious pain, that is most likely after the slaying of the Nazgul dude.

Gollum should be awesome again, because we are going to get to see his treacherousness once again, and of course SHELOB!!!! If you watch the end of the preview just as it cuts back to PJ there is a shot on the TV they are watching of Frodo trying to cut Shelob's webs at the cave exit

I also posted this in the other DVD thread:

Ok so I got the TTT DVD yesterday and I've watched the 10-minute preview for Return of the King. I want to comment on one thing, my favorite part of RotK, which is the Paths of the Dead. I will spare those of you who haven't seen it yet with the spoiler code

Ok, so I am all very excited about Return of the King, because it is going to be the best movie out of all of them, just as the book was the best out of all of them I've been sweating wondering if Paths of the Dead was going to be in the movie and now I know it will be because I saw the 10-minute preview on the DVD. I am however going to be disappointed if it turns out the way it looked in the preview. Only disappointed in the sense of who goes to the Paths of the Dead, not it's looks. It appears to only have Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli going to the Paths of the Dead and there are none of the Dúnedain taking the trip as it happens in the book. I really hope it doesn't happen that way, because that would mean the Dúnedain will most likely be cut from other things and this would suck because they are such an integral role to the story of Aragorn Either way I will be happy and excited to see Paths of the Dead, but disappointed in that respect!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
ladyisme
Enting

I noticed that about the paths of the dead too. It's true that I am also looking foward to Shelob but, I am most looking foward to the Battle of the Pelinor Feilds since I've been told that it is especially spectacular.
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

As for the Paths Of The Dead it would not make sence from the way Aragorn has been protyed in these films for a load of trusty kinsmen to turn up and he be there acknoledge leader would it now? Its a shame i know but it just wouldnt make sence for them to be there
Old 08-30-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
As for the Paths Of The Dead it would not make sence from the way Aragorn has been protyed in these films for a load of trusty kinsmen to turn up and he be there acknoledge leader would it now? Its a shame i know but it just wouldnt make sence for them to be there

I think it would, because they have talked about "Rangers" a lot in the movies and now we would get a chance to see them
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 05:52 PM   #5
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I really want to see Shelob's tunnel. It looks so amazing! Too bad we couldn't fully see Shelob, though. I'm also looking forward to Pelennor Fields and the Paths of the Dead. I hope Eowyn slays the Witch King, because I saw her riding as herself and I couldn't tell whether it was to or from the fight. It'll suck if they have Arwen come and kill the Witch King and go all kissy-kissy on Aragorn. Anyway, Return of the King looks really cool. I can't wait until December rolls around.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
genewyn

i heard (sources not listed*hehe*) that Arwen is going to show up in the battle of Pellenor Fields fully armored and ready to "save the day" if i will. HOW STUPID IS THAT??? she was practically an unimportant charictar in the book compared to the characters they cut to make room for her. it makes the movie more movieish if they just have her instead of having to explain glorfindel and the history of the "shield maidens of rohan" and the profecy of "not by the hand of man shall the witch king fall" or su'in like that (im not positive about the profecy so excuse my errors). n e way, ur not alone in ur feelings!!
genewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 01:32 PM   #7
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I hope the Battle of the Pelennor shows the Easterlings and Southrons fighting as their own units, and mot intermingled with Orcs... I had wished there would have beem more differences shown between the Easterlings and Southrons, but that is ok... The size of the Oli's sure are demonstrated in that cut on the TT DVD!

On the Paths, it pretty much has to be the three of the Fellowship, since there is no 'Dúnedain of the North' or any mention of Arnor in the movie. The 'Rangers', when not mentioned as Aragorn, refer to Faramir's command in Ithilien, also a bunch of cool dudes!
Old 09-02-2003, 06:37 PM   #8
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

About Arwen: She's supposed to be going on a ship to Valinor (in the movies). In the books, she makes a banner for Aragorn's ships. Perhaps she will come to the Fields with the Elven ship instead of Aragorn.
I'm worried about Dernhelm, too. I will be so bummed out if he/she is not in ROTK. He/she was one of my favorite characters, and if the get rid of him/her, then there won't be the fantastic line: "No living man am I!"
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:22 PM   #9
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

They won't get rid of Dernhelm, PJ wouldn't go that far...I hope...

I have heard as well that Pellenor fields is supposed to be amazing, but what I'm really looking forward to are the scenes in Shelob's lair and when Pippin looks into the palantir. I can't wait to see what Shelob is going to look like.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:28 AM   #10
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Because of all the friends I've been managing to drag into my house because of school's start, I've seen the preview like five-six times now, and I still can't get enough of it. It looks simply amazing. I just really hope that when Aragorn says, "He has gone unchallenged long enough," it doesn't mean that he's going to duel with Sauron. I remember hearing that it would happen, I think from theonering.net, and that would be such a pity. Also, I really hope Arwen doesn't have a large part. She's just too unimportant in the books. Pellinore Fields looks simply incredible. I cannot wait.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:29 AM   #11
Gerbil
Elf Lord

That challenge probably refers to Aragorn looking into the Palantir, and there's a similar scene in the book (although I think it's only mentioned in hindsight by Gandalf).
Old 09-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #12
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Watching the preview I noticed that all the scenes with the battle had sunshine, is there going to be no Dawnless Day? Nothing in the preview gave me any hint of the great black cloud that covered the land. Maybe I missed it or maybe it just wasn't in any of the scenes that they showed.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:03 PM   #13
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Oh, good point! I hope they don't leave the Dawnless Day out!

I was really hoping for something from the Grey Havens, but oh well.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Here's something that really caught my attention in the ROTK preview.

They're making it much more overt that when Pippin looks into the palantir, Sauron thinks he may the Ringbearer, who plans to deliver the power of the Ring to Aragorn. This makes sense - it's implicit in the book, and I love how they're making this explicit here as the trigger that gets Sauron to attack Minas Tirith prematurely. Seeing how Pippin develops from film to film to film is something I'm really looking forward to when I finally see all three back-to-back.

However - here's a bit of an issue. In the end of TTT, when Frodo encounters the Nazgul, I thought of it as the moment where Sauron now knows where the Ring is - and thinks it's heading across the river to Minas Tirith from the eastern direction.

Possible contradiction? How can he think that Frodo and Pippin are Ringbearers at the same time?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:11 PM   #15
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
here's a bit of an issue. In the end of TTT, when Frodo encounters the Nazgul, I thought of it as the moment where Sauron now knows where the Ring is - and thinks it's heading across the river to Minas Tirith from the eastern direction.

Possible contradiction? How can he think that Frodo and Pippin are Ringbearers at the same time?
I do not believe that the Nazgul saw the ring. Tolkien described them as having poor eyesight. The ringwraith would have noticed the ring if Frodo had succeeded in putting it on but Sam stopped him in time.

The reason I feel strongly that Mordor didn't know about the ring in Osgiliath is because that scene was created by Jackson to capture the essence of Tolkien's scene in the book when the Witchking and his troops left Minas Morgul and sensed a presence in the valley at the bridge. The Witchking eventually moved on without realizing Frodo was there - and I believe that Jackson was basically saying the same thing about Frodo and the Witchking's "meeting" in Osgiliath.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

You are a dunce, Black Breathalizer.

There is a world of difference between a scene where the nazgul vaguely senses the ring from maybe a quarter mile off, and a scene where that same nazgul doesn't notice it when it's right under his nose.

It's pathetic.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #17
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Nuh-uh.

The encounter between Frodo and the Nazgul seems to be established in the film as a pretty clear provocation for Sauron's assault on Gondor.

That said, it could be that when Pippin takes the palantir, Sauron doesn't really have a durn idea where he is - but that is highly doubtful. You'd think he'd be able to tell which palantir is Isengard's and which is Minas Tirith's.

In any case, this issue is one that will have to be addressed. We'll know in three months.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 10:43 PM   #18
Kalimac
Enting

Hmmm, wasn't the fell beast in Osgiliath wounded by Faramir? So . . assuming that the Nazgul saw Frodo with the Ring, just how long would it take the Nazgul to report back to Sauron, if it's fell beast is wounded or dead?
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

It's possible we'll get some clarification about that in the EE, but I guess Sauron can't tell one hobbit from another, so thinks they're one and the same. The only problem with that is, as I said in another thread and someone said above, how could he have gotten from Osgiliath all the way to Isengard that quickly? Perhaps Pippin will look into the palantir in Gondor. Like IP said, we'll just have to wait a few months to find out for sure!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #20
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i hope he doesn't screw it up!