Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-1999, 10:37 PM   #1
bmilder

Favorite Battle in the Silmarillion

In the entire War of the Jewels, which was your favorite battle?
Old 11-30-1999, 09:31 PM   #2
emilsson

Re: Favorite Battle in the Silmarillion

Well, it´s been some time since I read Silmarillion but my favorite battle ( which is also one of my favorite parts in the book ) is The Great Battle. I like it because the good side finally wins over Morgoth .
Old 12-02-1999, 08:47 AM   #3
Loopy

definitely Fingolfin vs. Morgoth
Old 12-02-1999, 08:32 PM   #4
Quaff Down Gin

For me there's no question

The Nirnaeth Arnoediad. However, I think the Fall of Gondolin from the Book of Lost Tales II takes the cake if we're including sources other than the published Silmarillion. The chapter is a MUST read for those who have not. I still weep for Ecthelion, Lord of the Fountain...
Old 12-03-1999, 01:03 AM   #5
Hernalt

Unquestionably.

The Fall of Gondolin is the most detailed and comprehensive depiction of Tolkienesque battle. And my pet favorite has always been the Battle of the Hornberg.
Old 12-05-1999, 04:32 AM   #6
Gimli the Dwarf

absolutely!

I agree with Loopy, Finglefin vs. Morgath RULED! especially when Finglefin cut off Morgoth's leg, and then drowned in th blood from it. It was awsome, and unquestionably the best battle in the Sillmarillion.
Old 12-23-1999, 11:13 PM   #7
Elanor

Re: absolutely!

Thats gross Gimli!
Old 12-23-1999, 11:26 PM   #8
anduin

El, how come I never see you on ICQ anymore?
Old 12-25-1999, 10:29 PM   #9
Elanor

I am at home and don't have it here.
Old 12-29-1999, 08:37 PM   #10
Elanor

I finished the Sil! Nice to have free time for two weeks! My favorite battle...hm, I think I like the one where the Valar defeat Morgoth and kick him out.
Old 02-04-2000, 06:40 PM   #11
Darth Tater

Three's nothing like the Nirnaeth Arnidiad or however you spell it. Definately my favorite.
Old 02-07-2000, 10:07 PM   #12
Finduilas

I do believe you have the facts wrong here. The actual series of events was (having just found out its ok to quote): Therefore Morgoth came, climbing slowly from his subterranean throne, and the rumor of his feet was like thunder underground. And he issued forth clad in black armour; and he stood before the King like a tower, iron-crowned, and his vast shield, sable unbazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud. But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, that glittered like ice. Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a lighting shoots from under a dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands. But at last the King grew weary, and Morgoth bore down his shield upon him. Thrice he was crushed to his knees, and thrice arose again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm. But the earth was all rent and pitted about him, and he stumbled and fell backward before the feet of Morgoth; and Morgoth set his left foot upon his neck, and the weight of it was like a fallen hill. Yet with his last and desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil, and the blood gushed forth black and smoking and filled the pits of Grond. Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-Kings of old. The Orcs made no boast of that duel at the gate; neither do the Elves sing of it, for their sorrow is too deep. The Silmarillion, pages 184-185. However, my favourites (something tells me its time to re-read the Silm) would have to be the battles (if they can be called that) in the quest of the Silmaril, especially the song-combat between Finrod and Sauron.
Old 02-08-2000, 09:30 PM   #13
Elanor

Yeah, Gimli admitted to me that he got that wrong. No drowning in blood! I guess it was just his strange mind mixing things up.
Old 02-10-2000, 07:48 PM   #14
Quaff Down Gin

Another fantastic battle...

...is a battle of the minds between Morgoth and Luthien when she reveals herself to him at the foot of his throne. He lusts for her, yet she seduces him with her song which causes his mind to meander blindly in a dream and he topples to the floor unconscious, thus allowing for Beren and Luthien's escape from Angband. Cooleeyoyo!
Old 02-10-2000, 09:59 PM   #15
Finduilas

Re: Another fantastic battle...

Though it was a rather close call at the end there when Angrist snapped.
Old 04-02-2000, 02:17 PM   #16
Maglor

And another one

It was in the original Silm (read HoME IV and V)
The final battle Dagor Dagorath where the spirit of Turin slays Morghoth, that's just soooo cool
Old 04-02-2000, 04:32 PM   #17
Finduilas

Re: And another one

That would be in the Book of Lost Tales, I think. (We have been discussing the Dagor Dagorath on my discussion board or I might not have a clue here (it started as a trivia question which I couldn't answer).
Old 04-25-2000, 02:58 PM   #18
Anteater

Hi... New here.

I dig the part when Turin kills Glaurung the dragon.

I am partial to monsters, so I also like the battle between Huan and Carcaroth.

Later!!!

Old 05-11-2000, 01:16 PM   #19
Maglor

To Finduilas

The story of the Dagor Dagorath is in several of the HoME books.

Maglor
Old 05-11-2000, 05:20 PM   #20
Finduilas

Re: To Finduilas

Could have used you at my board when that discussion was going on. Thanks for pointing that out to me though.

(Things have slowed down so much since then that I'm lucky to get a post a week)