Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 01:29 AM   #81
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, I'm on a roll - is it illegal to do 3 posts in a row? Here's for anyone ...
Attached Images
File Type: gif gg1a.gif (4.4 KB, 81 views)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-28-2002, 10:36 AM   #82
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
OK, try this one. One of the characters you may not recognize, because I write it a little differently than the chart, and there is a new punctuation mark. Good luck!

I know what it says. Since apparently nobody else is as inundated in this stuff as you and I, RÃ*an, I'll just post the translation: "Hello Entmooters! Who can read this?" Okay, the one I was going to post was "May it Be", but I was taking too long, so it's not going to be posted after all. I will post something, though. You guys will have to figure it out, though. And it'll probably be later this evening, so...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-28-2002, 10:42 AM   #83
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oy. Tolkien's Letter 118 is SMALL!!! I'm not even going to try. I'll get back to you on that last one you posted, RÃ*an, I have to go to Flamenco. I won't be back on the Moot until later tonight, so that'll give other people a chance to try translating some of this.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-28-2002, 11:17 AM   #84
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi - just a quick check-in before I have to run off to 2 soccer games and 2 birthday parties - yes, you got it right, I wanted to show you my WH/HW character in "who". I give it a long tail to differentiate it from the "CH", which also looks like a "D" (although I don't use that CH, because it is the German gutteral CH. I just use the #3, which is the initial CH like Chive).

After the Saturday A.M. Madness, I'll try to resize and resend letter 118, but it is in a book and is unfortunately very small. Have fun Flamenco-ing! I'm looking forward to yours

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-28-2002, 07:27 PM   #85
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Here you go. It's the first few lines of a song that I've had stuck in my head all day; anyone familiar with Gilbert and Sullivan operettas should know this song. Here you are:

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-28-2002, 07:35 PM   #86
Rían

TC - I love G&S, but I don't see an attachment anywhere...

("I am the monarch of the SEEEEAAAAA, Ruler of the Queen's NAAAAVVVVYYY...")

Old 09-28-2002, 08:04 PM   #87
TinuvielChild
Padawan

GRR!!
It was too big! And no, that's not the song. It's actually from Mikado, which the G&S group I'm in is doing this year. Hoping that I'll be Pitti-Sing...but this should be in a different thread, which I started but nobody replied to.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-28-2002, 08:27 PM   #88
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Bugger this for a lark! Rian, how'd you get yours small enough?

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-28-2002, 09:03 PM   #89
Rían

Isn't it maddening!!

That's why I couldn't send the Tengwar notes, too big. BUT - this is my method for sending the stuff that I have sent already, which is a small amount of Tengwar writing on a white background:
Open scan program, scan in as Fax Fine 200x200 at 50%, save as .BMP (only other option is tiff, which is no good). Close scan program, open .BMP file in my Paint program under Programs->Accessories->paint, do another 50% reduction under Image->Stretch/Skew tool, save as a .GIF file. This file is under 10K, so it works to attach.

Start with a small amount of writing and try to get it going. Good luck, post back if you have troubles - I'll keep checking from time to time.

Last edited by Rían : 09-28-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #90
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Gnarf! It won't go...you know, I'm just going to stop for tonight. I might try again tomorrow, I might not, but if you really want to see it, I could email it to you or something.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-28-2002, 10:38 PM   #91
TinuvielChild
Padawan

For the record, it was the first 4 lines of "The Sun Whose Rays are All Ablaze" from the Mikado. Actually, you ought to go over to the G&S thread in the Entertainment forum, which I started earlier this year. It met with lukewarm responses, so it kinda died, but it'd be nice to have some new people over there, making new posts.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 12:47 AM   #92
Rían

I'm really not familiar with the Mikado at all - mostly HMS Pinafore & Pirates of Penzance. I'll trot on over to the G&S Thread sometime early next week.

OK, I just went thru a whole scan deal, and here are the gory details (my previous post wasn't quite correct). I was going to PM you, but I'll put the info here in case someone else wants to try. (katya and sminty - where are you???? )

put paper with small amount of writing in printer/scanner, go to programs->accessories->imaging, set the scan mode to B&W, resolution to Laser 300 dpi, scale to 50%, then press Scan New. Then File->save as, and save as .bmp. This file is usually about 250K. Close imaging program, open paint program (also under accessories), open .bmp file. Under Image->stretch/skew, set the stretch to 50% in both horiz. and vertical and hit OK, then go to file->save as and save it as a .gif. This usually makes it 9 to 10k, which is fine.

Hang in there and try again, I'd like to see it here (just 'cause I'm lazy and it's easier!), but if you can't get it to go, then email it to me.

ps - did you see my gg1a.gif? I LOVE that poem!

"and WE are his sisters-and-his-cousins-and-his-aunts! his sisters-and-his-cousins-whom-he-reckons-by-the-dozens-and-his-AUNTTTSSS!" *MUST get to G&S thread!*

Last edited by Rían : 09-29-2002 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:05 PM   #93
TinuvielChild
Padawan

The gg1a.gif:

"Gil-Galad was an elven king
Of him the harpers sadly sing
The last whose realm was fair and free
Between the mountains and the sea" ?

Am I right? I'll try scanning something smaller, because the G&S one was kind of long (I wrote rather too large, I fancy). Hmm. Expect it sometime today or tomorrow. Oh! Tomorrow's my birthday, so I'll try and have it up as my birthday present to this thread (see, I'm following the hobbit custom of giving away presents on one's birthday. Only on the Moot, though; I don't have nearly enough stuff to do that anywhere else!)

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 03:37 PM   #94
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Okay, I followed your instructions, now let's hope it works...*crosses fingers and prays to Manwe*...

[edit]oops, forgot to attach it! *duh*

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 03:40 PM   #95
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oops, double post

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 03:42 PM   #96
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Okay, now to remember to attach it! It should be small enough now...*drumroll, please*
Attached Images
File Type: gif tengwar1.gif (3.8 KB, 46 views)

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 03:44 PM   #97
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Yeah! It worked! Score one for the good guys! My handwriting isn't all that neat, but you can read it. Oh, I am so happy!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 06:35 PM   #98
TinuvielChild
Padawan

And I felt like doing some more G&S junk, so here's another one I dashed off earlier...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 06:37 PM   #99
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Grr, I always forget to attach it in the first post I make! Okay, here it is...
Attached Images
File Type: gif tengwar2.gif (3.4 KB, 41 views)

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 06:40 PM   #100
Rían

Hooray!!! *throws confetti around* Congratulations!!

It is so fun to get Tengwar from across the country and read it!!

Happy Birthday, too!!

And guess what I was going to scan in today? The same exact poem!!! You beat me to it! Funny!

(BTW, your translation on gg1a was correct. I did a nice little decoration on his name, after reading the Tengwar calligraphy link - could you see it?)

And for those who are still learning, here's the translation of TC's:

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

I used the double-consonant sign on the 'l' in "all" and the 't' in "glitter", because I like the extra little look it gives. Also I used the preceded-by-nasal-of-same-column tilde symbol over the 'd' in "wander". I'll attach mine and show you. But - that is only a matter of personal style choice, and it is SO COOL that we can read each other's writing just fine!

ps - the word 'are' is one of my favorite-looking words - you drew yours so pretty!

Closed Thread