Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Writing using Tengwar characters - II

[moderator note - from Rian's opening post to the first thread, which is here ]

Ok, I did a search on this and found "speaking in Elvish" threads but not one specifically on writing using the Tengwar characters, so here goes...

I didn't have time/talent to learn elvish, so I decided to help satisfy my M.E. cravings by learning the Tengwar characters for the English mode and write in English using Tengwar. It is really fun, and also - I don't know, I guess almost physically enjoyable (to me, they just look so pretty! I think Tolkien wrote somewhere that he wanted to invent characters that were visually pleasing). They look nice written with a chisel-point pen, but a regular one works just fine, too.

It took a little bit of time to memorize them so I could write fluently, and I still can't read quickly (I have to go character by character except for words of 2 characters, which I can read right away), but it was well worth it, plus you can write ANYTHING you want down in a journal and not worry about someone finding it and reading it! (at least no one around me can read it!)

I know katya writes in Tengwar - anyone else?

***********Edit: It's almost 8 months later, and I"m still happily writing Tengwar! Some new Tengwar fans have recently joined, and just for the sake of convenience, I'm editing this post and adding the two best links on Tengwar that I've found: the passagen link and the elfique link .

***********Edit: I thought I would add some links to some of the attachments that people had, to show off our all our fun and unique and pretty Tengwar
Earniel's Elvish rock
RÃ*an's Nargothrond poem from Lays of Beleriand

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*bump*

So, any more Tengwar writers here? Anyone that wants to learn?

I need to re-learn, because I haven't done it in awhile!

Nov 2010 - edit to add links that changed - passagen is now at http://at.mansbjorkman.net/ and called Amanye Tenceli

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-16-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Editing in opening post information; adding changed links
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote